S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Best leather and/or vinyl protectant for interior?

Old 05-22-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=122043
It talks about Zymol leather care. I've used it for the past three years on my CL-S and I think it works great on the seats!
I would also recommend AutoDetail.com for excellent prices.
-j
Old 05-28-2003, 06:25 AM

We all know you use Leather cleaner/conditioner on the seats and I am under the assumption that I would use a vinyl product on the dash but what about the side panels. What do you recommend for the top side panels just below the windows? Are they a leather or vinyl? Can you just use the leather protectant on everything but the dash? I purchased the Mequiars two step for the leather seats and their vinyl product for the dash.

Also what do you recommend for the windows. My front and rear (glass) windows have what appear to be water spots that won't come off with your standard windex type products.

Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-28-2003, 06:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mjsteelman
[B]We all know you use Leather cleaner/conditioner on the seats and I am under the assumption that I would use a vinyl product on the dash but what about the side panels. What do you recommend for the top side panels just below the windows? Are they a leather or vinyl? Can you just use the leather protectant on everything but the dash? I purchased the Mequiars two step for the leather seats and their vinyl product for the dash.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:37 AM

Shortly after buying my S2000, I invested in a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. Then came the following discoveries:

1. The difference between the leather and non-leather interior surfaces is not obvious.
2. Even if you know the difference, it is not easy to apply multiple products in a controlled fashion in such a small area.
3. When I did apply the Meguiars to the seat backs, the result was small white dots of product in each perforation.

I'm now using Pro Honda Car Care Vinyl/Leather Protectant. I think it's a silicone product, which means that it doesn't nourish the leather. On the plus side, it is odorless, easy to apply to all interior surfaces and doesn't leave deposits in the perforations.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:52 AM

Silicone will weaken the finish of the leather, thus causing premature breakdown, stay away from it.

I am not sure if the Honda stuff is silicone or not, but I do have some at home that came with the car, will check and let you know...
Old 05-29-2003, 10:18 AM

3. When I did apply the Meguiars to the seat backs, the result was small white dots of product in each perforation.
Dierk,
I hear you on the small white dots. What I found to work was when applying, try heating up the seats(they recommend that when using Zymol, which I've had the best results with). Then I apply it on a soft, cotton white cloth. I rub the cloth together, then I apply. That way the cloth soaks up the majority of solution, yet when you apply it to the seats it comes off in an even manor without over saturation. Then you buff once an area is dry (normally when I finish one seat I buff the other). If I still find white residue in the perforations, I'll try and very carefully pick them out with a needle. But like I said before I find that if you do not over saturate the seats, you can avoid the solution soaking into the perforations. I hope that makes some sense.
-jeremy
Old 05-30-2003, 03:39 AM

I've been using the Lexol
Old 06-01-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vrm Vrm
[B]
The only leather in the car is on the seat (the "perforated" part) and the shift boot.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silverstone2003
[B]i too with black dash find the lexol vinylex a bit shiny, but if you go over it with a damp rag it leaves a nice soft non shiny satiny glow on the dash
Old 06-04-2003, 09:07 AM

I hate being wrong! Thanks for the info PJK3.

The Zymol smells nice, in my opinion...

Quick Reply: Best leather and/or vinyl protectant for interior?