S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

The Best Cure for Removing Spider Webs/Swirls

Old 04-15-2006, 03:26 AM
d-j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post some pics?

The product and pad really depend upon the severity of the swirls/cobwebs.

Without more details, try this
Old 04-15-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good. I think that the detailer did do a polish but it didn't really hide the swirls. I think that I do need something more aggressive. I will try and post a pic later today to show you the swirls.

I appreciate all of your replies.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 AM

I just spent yesterday doing my Suzuka with this stuff (SSR2.5 followed by the polish with carnuba, applied with a Porter-Cable):

http://www.pakshak.com/poorboys-ssr2-5-16oz.html

http://www.pakshak.com/poorboys-poli...auba-16oz.html

The results were impressive. I tried 3M swirl remover for light colored cars last summer with poor results. I think I needed something with a bit more "oomph". I'll have to take some pics.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:11 AM

That swirl remover worked better for you than the 3M? The random orbiter Porter Cables are good for removing swirls?

Yeah, take some pics to
Old 04-15-2006, 10:25 AM

I'll try. Swirls are hard to see in pictures, especially on light metallic cars. I could really only see them in person when the sun hit it right. I guess I shouldn't call them swirls. They were more like back and forth streak marks from drying or something. I had some body work done on my car about a year and a half ago and began noticing this streak marks. I'm thinking they washed and dried the car with a dirty sponge or towel. I've been using a lambs wool wash mit and microfiber drying towels since I got the car, so I don't think they were from me. I used the 3M stuff with my portercable last summer and either it didn't do anything or I put streak marks back into the paint, but again, I don't think my washing and drying techniques are the culprit. This SSR2.5 is abit more aggressive.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Cool, Thanks a lot.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 AM

The article that Wannabe posted from Better Car Care.com really tells you everything you need to know about swirl removal. In terms of what brand you should use it's really a matter of preference. They're all pretty good.

To compare the abrasive level of pads and polishes across different brands you can use this chart.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:01 PM

That's a great chart. I'll be bookmarking that one.

As you can see, the 3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER LIGHT CARS 39109 "contains large amounts of fillers" and is a polish vs being a light/medium/heavy cut compound. This is what I used the first time. I guess it's better to go conservative than to go overboard with cutting power, but like I said, after a few months, my swirls came back when the fillers wore off. As you can see Poorboy's SSR2.5 is in the medium cut category, so I believe this did the trick for me. I used a (light cut) white foam polishing pad for the SSR2.5 and then used a red pad for their carnuba polish, which for some reason is not on this chart.

I just took some pics. The weather's kinda crappy today, so not very good light:

Old 04-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Sweet, I can see the reflection. I will pick up a Porter Cable and pads very soon. I can't stand these swirls!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 PM

I need to take pics. I just clayed 3m swirl removed, meguiars polish and gold classed my car. Looks better than show room. First time with a PC and thanks to you guys it went pretty well. I can gauge how much product to apply for next time so that will cut down on my removal process which killed most of the time. 6 months ago by hand it took me 6+ hours. Today i got it done inside 4 but it looks soo much better than when i did it before. I learned alot from trial and error so i will try and get it done inside 2 hours next time. The PC is just awesome. I got it at Lowes and picked up some Meguiars pads one light yellow and two buffing beige pads. I got a pretty good amount of swirls out of the paint and i guess some of them are deeper than i thought so they will have to be fo next time.
Im untrained with the PC so i didnt want to go higher than mild cutting pad and swirl remover till the next local detail day. After i get some more tips i'll try and tackle them. Still im very pleased with the results and it was worth doing it by myself and saving 200 bucks on a detail job.

Quick Reply: The Best Cure for Removing Spider Webs/Swirls