S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

before applying Zaino

Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before applying Zaino

for those who have experience with zaino, did u use dawn dish soap to clean off the old wax before applying? i don't really like the idea of dish soap on my car so i was wondering if anybody used the mother's step 1 pre-wax cleaner http://www.autobarn.net/mot07100.html? how effective is this compared to dawn? thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used dawn
Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 AM

dawn is to get off all of the previous wax you had on the car to prep it for zaino, after zaino you can apply on traditional wax for more protection
Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 AM

i dawned only the very first time just to make sure that there was nothing on the car and cause it didnt need clay or polish.

since then, no more dawnings for me- polish and/or clay will also do a good job of removing anything on your paint. and those are my preferences over dawn.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 AM

i am planning to clay too but is it really necessary to use dawn? can i use a pre-wax cleaning instead of dawn to remove the old wax?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dorami,Nov 15 2008, 11:54 AM
i am planning to clay too but is it really necessary to use dawn? can i use a pre-wax cleaning instead of dawn to remove the old wax?
you do not have to use dawn... and i would not
clay and also a paint cleaner will do the trick-
prob either one alone will do it, and both should for sure!

dawn is pretty harsh on the car- especially rubber, adhesives and vinyl. its not likely to cause horrible harm, but i just dont like using anything that has any negative attributes if i do not need to - and you do not need to use dawn, as there are other choices as mentioned above.

btw, zaino is a pretty forgiving product. it is best to put it against the clearcoat, but i have even put it over wax (that is a few weeks old) and still had great results. i love to "sandwich", which means a few coats of synthetics (like zaino) and the last coat of carnauba. so the next time that i put synthetic on i dont remove anything unless i am polishing... if no polish then its wax that the synthetic is going on top of. never any problems including zaino.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM

i might just use dawn just one time to get rid of my old wax. i read that u can apply zaino polish on the wheels and plastic trims on the car? has anyone done this?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM

There are some pretty strong car washes or even P21S TAW can strip off old wax. Like wanabe said I would be scared to use dawn. I use P21S TAW pre-soak then a strong dilution of CWG and that usually gets it all off. Of course you clay after that.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by dorami,Nov 15 2008, 01:48 PM
i might just use dawn just one time to get rid of my old wax. i read that u can apply zaino polish on the wheels and plastic trims on the car? has anyone done this?
i zaino all hard surfaces- lights wheels glass, etc.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM

so let's say i recently polished/corrected the paint and it currently has several layers of lsp's, waxes, etc., the most recent being less than a month old. however, i am pretty unsatisfied with the final product, what would be the best way to strip off the old wax? considering the paint is well corrected, i really don't want to use a polish with abrasives.

Quick Reply: before applying Zaino