S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Baked on brake dust

Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baked on brake dust

Hi

So I have some really braked on brake dust from some porterfield R4 race pads and I cannot get it off of my wheels for the life of me. I've tried a kitchen sponge (both sides) with p21s and even bought that stupid powerball mini + powerplastic (some other online forum suggested it for clearcoated wheels). It looks exactly the same. It's really baked on. Way beyond p21s and a brush.

Anybody got a surefire way of getting it off besides steel wool?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

The sintered iron particulates in brake dust are one of the more difficult components to remove from your wheels. I've had excellent results using Sonax wheel cleaner, allow it to work for five minutes and then use a a soft wheel brush to work over the wheel before rinsing off.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Is p21s considered a more gentle cleaner than these two? I wanted to try the sonax just because it looked cool but it was expensive. I may try it now.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

^^
I would say that P21s is a less aggressive cleaner than Sonax in regards to removing the sintered metal pieces that adhere to wheels. Both are fine for removing light/heavy brake dust and dirt.

Sonax is not cheap, try the other recommended cleaners and a good wheel brush and see if they work. I have better luck cleaning a real dirty set of wheels by removing them from the car, where I can then access all the areas thoroughly.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM

You should be very careful when using wheel brightener. It is an acid and can stain aluminum and chrome.

I use Wheel Brightener, p21s wheel gel as well as Sonax wheel cleaner and they all have their place. That trifecta makes for the best wheel cleaning solution available imho.

Sonax is my favorite right now. Check out detailersdomain, Phil sells it.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Jean-Claude is 100% correct with regards to anaozed wheels and polished wheels - this stuff works great on chrome, plastic hub caps and clear coated OEM wheels ( 95% of all oem wheels are clear coated)

nothing works better - spray on, brush and spray off in less than a minute also dilute the stuff 4 parts water to one part WB it will last forever and at 25 bucks a gallon you can't beat it
Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM

from

Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener is for professional use. Dilute as directed. Do not use on polished aluminum or anodized wheels.

For severe accumulation of brake dust, use a wheel brush to agitate the wheel surface. Spray on and let sit for 30-45 seconds before rinsing. Wash one wheel at a time.

As Meguiar’s says, there’s a fine line between effective cleaners and dangerous chemicals. Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener is one wheel cleaner that is both safe and effective on factory coated wheels.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM

I just purchased some Sonax. I run Hawk DTC-30 pads that get really really dust within a week of driving. When it's wet outside it gets caked on. I'll let you know how it work on the dust.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 AM

Got some dust caked on my center spokes and i can feel metal particles in my barrels, when before the track day they were smooth...

How would you guys attack this?

Quick Reply: Baked on brake dust