S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

for the badge

Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I see you got the gold class wash

You won't need the crappy OTC wheel cleaners when you get the Sonax, stuff is awesome. I would recommend westleys bleach white for the tires, it pulls so much crap out it is amazing, but only use it on tires and rinse with soap and water.

I would change to mothers clay bar system over the megs. The megs isn't as aggressive as the mothers from my experience and doesn't always pull stuff out without multiple passes.

I would invest in some quick detailer spray. If you want to stay OTC the Megs Ultimate (?) is nice (the one with the polymer in a black bottle)... But if you want a really really nice one, Prima Slick. I absolutely love that stuff.

You got great glass cleaner (stoner's), but one I like slightly better but hard to find is SprayAway Glass cleaner (can get it from Amazon)

If you want a nice spray wax Prima Hydro used while you dry is great too.. I even use it dry to dress rims and door jams. Both can be had at Detailer's Domain.

I am tempted to say loose the absorber and invest in some high quality drying MF towels, especially if you use a spray wax. But I do from time to time use an absorber, BUT only when I am going to do a full correction on a car. They tend to hold sand and grit in them which can ruin your finish. One thing you can do if you want to keep using it is rinse it and ring it out as you dry the car to make sure you don't drag something across the paint.

If you want to keep a matte interior finish (I do) Megs has some natural finish detailer spray for interiors that is quite nice and I find I use it more often during my interior details. Most customers expect it all shined up and actually are surprised and pleased with the natural look the megs interior dressing gives over the slick appearance.

Sample of what I have in my collection, it has grown since...

Pretty much take the right half of this image and throw it away... all junk...

Replacement supplies

Testing out some of the Prima offering... Compounds are OK but I like Menzerna better.. Amigo truly is my new best friend use it almost every car, Banana Gloss is a nice liquid wax, Slick is just Slick , Hydro(not pictured) is great for drying and keeping up the LSP on the car

Wash Center

Detailing Bay
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job on the steering wheel. I really want to give that a shot!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

im impressed with the steering wheel! Im kinda scared to try it out on the S though haha. How does it look like after a few months of wear and tear? Does it achieve that look only because you are scuffing up the leather with the magic eraser?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverS2kF22C1,Feb 4 2011, 06:00 PM
Well I see you got the gold class wash

You won't need the crappy OTC wheel cleaners when you get the Sonax, stuff is awesome. I would recommend westleys bleach white for the tires, it pulls so much crap out it is amazing, but only use it on tires and rinse with soap and water.

I would change to mothers clay bar system over the megs. The megs isn't as aggressive as the mothers from my experience and doesn't always pull stuff out without multiple passes.

I would invest in some quick detailer spray. If you want to stay OTC the Megs Ultimate (?) is nice (the one with the polymer in a black bottle)... But if you want a really really nice one, Prima Slick. I absolutely love that stuff.

You got great glass cleaner (stoner's), but one I like slightly better but hard to find is SprayAway Glass cleaner (can get it from Amazon)

If you want a nice spray wax Prima Hydro used while you dry is great too.. I even use it dry to dress rims and door jams. Both can be had at Detailer's Domain.

I am tempted to say loose the absorber and invest in some high quality drying MF towels, especially if you use a spray wax. But I do from time to time use an absorber, BUT only when I am going to do a full correction on a car. They tend to hold sand and grit in them which can ruin your finish. One thing you can do if you want to keep using it is rinse it and ring it out as you dry the car to make sure you don't drag something across the paint.

If you want to keep a matte interior finish (I do) Megs has some natural finish detailer spray for interiors that is quite nice and I find I use it more often during my interior details. Most customers expect it all shined up and actually are surprised and pleased with the natural look the megs interior dressing gives over the slick appearance.

Sample of what I have in my collection, it has grown since...

Pretty much take the right half of this image and throw it away... all junk...

Replacement supplies

Testing out some of the Prima offering... Compounds are OK but I like Menzerna better.. Amigo truly is my new best friend use it almost every car, Banana Gloss is a nice liquid wax, Slick is just Slick , Hydro(not pictured) is great for drying and keeping up the LSP on the car

Wash Center

Detailing Bay
Got the gold class on your recommendation. it smells like aftershave which makes my S way more classy

thanks for your input again. why dont you like your nxt gen wax? im almost out of mine and thinking of going with auto glym next, but ive had no complaints with the nxt.

ive been using the 303 for the interior and am a fan of it, but i think the old shiny stuff is seeping out. what do you recommend for really cleaning it before protecting?

im making a shopping list and many of your recommendations will be replacing my current stuff.

carbonblue: the steering wheel finish has held up well. its been about 6 months and its probably due for another go. i really dont think its scuffing the leather. maybe a little, but i dont think the look is achieved because of any scuffing. you gotta go really light on it. heres where i first saw the technique a year or so ago:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1178493
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Sexy S right there, very clean. especially the interior.

And as far as the steering is concered, Dude Mr Clean Magic Eraser really does magic. I bought a DD a while back and the whole interior was a BIG MESS, I used MC MagicEraser, it took the shine away almost completely and the steering wheel looks brand new. I also steam cleaned the interior. I got compliments of it smelling like a new car from the inside.

Now I usually use the eraser, every now and then to just keep stuff clean and looking new. I use some conditioner on top, as you said, coz it makes it dry. But before that I rewipe it so i get rid of the stuff of the dirty water.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtykoala,Feb 4 2011, 07:09 PM
Got the gold class on your recommendation. it smells like aftershave which makes my S way more classy

thanks for your input again. why dont you like your nxt gen wax? im almost out of mine and thinking of going with auto glym next, but ive had no complaints with the nxt.

ive been using the 303 for the interior and am a fan of it, but i think the old shiny stuff is seeping out. what do you recommend for really cleaning it before protecting?

im making a shopping list and many of your recommendations will be replacing my current stuff.

carbonblue: the steering wheel finish has held up well. its been about 6 months and its probably due for another go. i really dont think its scuffing the leather. maybe a little, but i dont think the look is achieved because of any scuffing. you gotta go really light on it. heres where i first saw the technique a year or so ago:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1178493
NXT 2.0 is better then the first gen for sure. I just find that it doesn't last as long. Autoglym HD it is a bit of work for sure, make sure you let it sit about 15mins before removing just a touch easier to get off... I like the banana gloss for a liquid wax smells great goes on uber fast and off the same way leaves a nice finish.

If you really want to take your finish to the next level I would recommend this combo. I have done this on a few customers cars (and mine own) and recently had a chance to see a car we did over 7mths ago... It is still beading very well and the owner has done ZERO to keep the finish up..

Amigo (brightens the paintwork, fills micro scratches a bit), Menzerna Powerlock (bonds with the paint), Autoglym HD (sacrificial layer to protect Powerlock, brightens paperwork)... Great finishing combo.

Just wash your car and strip the existing finish with a 70% alcohol and distilled water wipe down a few times before applying the amigo and powerlock.

You may have over protected your interior so you are actually seeing a build up of the protectant you are using. Try just wiping it down with a MF towel a few times then do a light application and see how it is.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by irmos2k,Jan 13 2011, 08:46 PM
Glad to see another S2ker coming from a Jeep
From

To

Then

To

WOHOO!
Im going to make an official Jeep to S2k thread
We can see how many people went from Jeep to S2k.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM

i really miss the jeep. it was primarily for the wife, but she didnt like off roading so i got to have all of the fun. i think i might buy a CJ or YJ so i can take it out and really not care.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM

Deal, I can post some of my wheeling pics from the good days, and then some rolling shots or something from my numerous mountain runs from the S, that would be awesome.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice posts... the vehicle that got me into topless cars was the last year they made the cj ('86). what a wonderful toy! top and doors off and windshield down. lifted it, chromed it and it was a hot looker. still it was a great rock crawler. anza borego was my fav off road area.
thx for bringing back the memories!

Quick Reply: for the badge