S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Application Methods for ClayBar

Old 06-25-2002, 06:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Application Methods for ClayBar

At the risk of sounding ignorant, could someone clarify exactly how to apply clay to a new S2000? I read the Zaino site, and ordered my package of goodies -- including Clay Bar. I still don't entirely understand how to use it best, though.

They talk about keeping the area lubricated with a solution of water and car cleaner. How do you know how much lubrication you need?

Also what type of applicator do you use for the clay? Same as the polish, or something different?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll get a set of instructions with the clay but here's what i did. bought a 16 oz spray bottle and fill it with one cap of zaino car wash and the rest water shake well.

wash the car with Dawn dishwashing soap now you're ready for clay

when you clay make sure you spray the area with a lot of the soap mixture then use the clay (just rub the clay - no need for an applicator)i n a directional motion (front to back on the hood and trunk and up and down on the sides) ** note if you drop the clay toss it away as it will become contaminated **

when done with the clay (works great) re-wash with zaino car wash. you won't beleive how smooth the surface is.

hope this helps

Bass
Old 06-25-2002, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're like I was, you've never seen clay and have no idea what it is. This will help. Have you ever seen modeling clay - the stuff kids sometimes play with? It's sort of a bar of, well, clay. That's essentially what we're talking about.

When you use the clay, you don't "apply" it. You're basically rubbing this bar of clay across the surface of the paint. You'll know if you have enough lubricant, as it glides nicely when you do and sticks when you don't. As you rub it across larger foreign matter, you'll feel it right through the clay.

I started claying my wife's van to get some gunk off the hood. I was only going to do the hood, but I was taking off all the rusty rail dust. It was amazing and very satisfying. I did almost the entire vehicle.

It can be time consuming, but the results are amazing. I re-clayed my S2000 recently to remove lots of water spots along the horizontal surfaces.

Tony
Old 06-25-2002, 06:47 PM

Outstanding. As you said, I had no clue. Now I think I get it.

Dawn wash, and then use the clay. Should I dry the car after rinsing off the Dawn or just get down to business with the clay on the wet surface?

I think I understand what you're describing about the clay not sticking to the surface during the process. Thanks!

Best wishes, guys!
Old 06-25-2002, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to dry the car after the dawn wash cause you're spaying car wash back one your car. as mntony said, it's time consuming but well worth the effort. results are awesome.. you're right up the road so give me a call if you run into any problems. I'll pm you my cell.

Bass
Old 06-26-2002, 05:59 PM

Hey guys, is it safe to use the clay on the clear plastic (headlight, taillights)?

SPeaking of that, should polish be applied to these surfaces, or just the body colored metal/plastic?
Old 06-26-2002, 06:16 PM

I use Z2 on everything! I also choose to use ZFX so I can apply several coats in a day.

About the top. It's recommended that you not use soap on the top as it degrades the water repellancy. I just hose down and dry off. There are several products made to clean and condition the top. Be careful and get products made for VINYL tops.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyBad
[B]I use Z2 on everything! I also choose to use ZFX so I can apply several coats in a day.

About the top. It's recommended that you not use soap on the top as it degrades the water repellancy. I just hose down and dry off. There are several products made to clean and condition the top. Be careful and get products made for
Old 06-26-2002, 06:20 PM

ooh, wait a minute... what year is your car MyBad... Could be they changed when they went with glass rear window this year.....
Old 06-26-2002, 08:23 PM

here is a good top for claying, cut off a small chunk from the bar and place the rest back into its containter, then form that chunk into a disc and use that, this way if you drop it you wont be wasting the whole bar

Quick Reply: Application Methods for ClayBar