S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Anyone have problems with 3m swirl remover?

Old 05-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have problems with 3m swirl remover?

I have the one that says for "dark cars" and tried using the porter cable. It seems to dry and cake up real quick...am I using too much? Too little? Once it dries out, it is very, very hard to buff off or remove from the car..what am I doing wrong?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you might be using too much product...
it should not be caking. it will dry as you work it and might dust, but shouldnt cake.
is it new, or has it been sitting around awhile?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,May 12 2005, 04:30 PM
sounds like you might be using too much product...
it should not be caking. it will dry as you work it and might dust, but shouldnt cake.
is it new, or has it been sitting around awhile?
Its fairly new. It seems to collect around the edges...I just didn't want the foam pad to be running dry..I'm afraid that the pad (without any polish or liquid on it) would scratch the surface

Do you moisten the pad with quick detailer spray or anything?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:37 PM

BTW, your detailing skills aren't for hire, are they? I have a nice purty black NSX with some fine scratches and some swirls ready for a full makeover
Old 05-12-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

In my experience, the SMR won't run dry, so that shouldn't be a worry... it will go pretty much clear if you work it enough (which you should) and leave a very thin almost completely clear coating on the car.

Of course, it's easier to tell exactly what stage it's at on dark cars (from thick/opaque to worked in).
Old 05-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,May 12 2005, 04:40 PM
In my experience, the SMR won't run dry, so that shouldn't be a worry... it will go pretty much clear if you work it enough (which you should) and leave a very thin almost completely clear coating on the car.

Of course, it's easier to tell exactly what stage it's at on dark cars (from thick/opaque to worked in).
hmmmm....I guess I'll give it another shot tonight! Under fluorescent lights, so that should defintely help. BTW, what sonus pad would you recommend?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:01 PM

I'd go for the orange. It cuts a little better. I just used the orange and 3M SMR (3000) on this car yesterday, which hadn't had a coat of wax or proper wash since it was new three years ago... It was in BAD shape. Even with repeated applications and the orange pad, it took a while to remove the swirl marks and light scratches...

Good luck with it.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,May 12 2005, 04:37 PM
BTW, your detailing skills aren't for hire, are they? I have a nice purty black NSX with some fine scratches and some swirls ready for a full makeover
hey s.s.-
they are free- right here!!!

fine cuts and swirl removers should be worked well imo- i use the "box" technique.
i work a 2x2 square area at a time- begin by going side to side in the box. then diagonal, and finish up with front to back.
with smr you dont have to worry about over working the car- you can not hurt your car (assuming the pads are in good shape) and can not over work it.

-----
great job, and nice pics animes2k!!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:47 PM

...what wanabe said ... and thanks, wanabe

It's funny, cuz I called Sal about the clay being too abrasive (leaving sweep marks) and the client ended up wanting the full SMR treatment anyway. FWIW, I think I'm not going to be using Zaino clay in the future. And with my bad experience with this last batch of Z2 Pro (way too thick), I used it without ZFX on this car (final coat), but it had a few hours to cure while I did the interior (client also had to run out and drove around with it curing in the sun haha - came off great).

Now if I could just justify the hours invested for the money received... my OCD gets the better of me.

SS, if you want to drive that beast to the other coast, I'll take care of it for you
Old 05-13-2005, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i stopped using 2 years ago.. it lacked the additive polish for "pop"

it tends to dull a finish and i never liked its ease of use..

meg's dacp and poorboys ssr series is miles above it imo..

if you are a serious swirl eradictor, then i suggest those products instead..

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems with 3m swirl remover?