S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Any have problems with California Duster?

Old 09-29-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any have problems with California Duster?

so anyone use a california duster, and find it just leaves a waxy residue? i think its supposed to be waxy to help pick up the dust, but i find it just makes it looks worse after i use it and just leaves a waxy smear.

is that expected? might as well just use quick detailer on the whole car?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:44 PM

I used it once... wasn't too impressed so now it just collects dust in my attic.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have to season it first...
i think you lay it on newspaper overnight or so- this helps pull out some of the excess wax. i notice that my newspaper has wax stains on it after the airing out.

and dont rub it on the car- its more of a light dusting motion. just the ends touch the car. as the air flows over the car.

if you get waxy, and if your car isnt too dirty you can use detail spray with carnuba in it and a good microfiber towel to get the duster wax off of the car.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:51 PM

I laid mine out on clean copy paper for a week before first use. I just didn't feel the result was that great. using a QD took only slightly longer and definately looked alot better.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Sep 29 2006, 12:51 PM
I laid mine out on clean copy paper for a week before first use. I just didn't feel the result was that great. using a QD took only slightly longer and definately looked alot better.
i usually use both...

my once or twice a week routine is something like this:

1. clean glass with glass cleaner
2. dust car and inspect-
3. if needed (usually is, but not always) hit the car with a detailers spray- sometimes its just the rear that gets the spray, especially the bumper
4. dust (with a dedicated interior duster) the wheels- then hit them with a detailers spray and dedicated wheel/exhaust rags
5. exhaust gets the "clean side" of the wheel rags with detailers spray

i find that when i use the duster i can do a better job of keeping swirls away longer-
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 PM

so if you are expecting to do a quick detailer job anyway, do you see the benefit of using the duster to just pick up the dust before QD, even if it leaves some waxy streaks since its going to get cleaned up by the QD?

or rather just use QD? and skip the duster all together.

i guess between blurn and wanabe, its just a matter of opinion and habit. anyone else?

btw, my problem is that i typically only use my S2000 on the weekends. i garage it otherwise, and find it dusty. and then after 12 hours while it sits outside, either night or day, i find a good layer of dust no matter what. so at best, my car looks great only 12 hours after i wash... sigh.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=tysonCRX,Sep 29 2006, 01:10 PM] so if you are expecting to do a quick detailer job anyway, do you see the benefit of using the duster to just pick up the dust before QD, even if it leaves some waxy streaks since its going to get cleaned up by the QD?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

1. You are supposed to "season" it by rolling it up in layers of newspapers for a day or two. You don't use a California Duster right out of the package.
2. It's impregnated with wax to hold the dust it picks up so it is less likely to scratch your paint. Like all waxes, it is suseptible to heat. You don't use it on a warm or hot surface.
3. It actually works better the dirtier it gets.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:09 PM

ok. ill do the "seasoning".

so was that in the directions somewhere?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:17 PM

Xviper, yours looks horrible.

Quick Reply: Any have problems with California Duster?