S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Another Zaino question

Old 02-07-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Zaino question

OK, I have looked around and read everything I can find, but I am still confused. I have listed things in order the way I believe they are supposed to be done, can someone correct me please?

1) was with dawn to remove wax and junk

2) clay bar

3)wash with Z7

4)apply Z1

5)apply Z2

6) this is where I am confused, I want to put on Z5 too, or is this not right? I also plan on doing like 3-5 coats, o should I be alternating Z2 and Z5 with a coat of Z6 spray inbetween each, or should I do just one coat of Z2 and then continue to add coats of Z5? Someone help.

I know that the final step is always to put on a coat of Z6 spray. Thanks for help.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2003, 08:42 PM

You apply the Z-1 in a circular motion, then immediately -- without letting the Z-1 dry -- apply the Z-2 or 5 in a back-and-forth motion on horizontal surfaces and up and down on vertical surfaces. You can only apply one coat of either Z-2 or Z-5 per day if the temp is below 70 degrees. Needs time to cure. Then, you can apply another coat of either Z-2 or Z-5 24 hrs after removal of the Z-1/Z-2 or 5.

You can alternate, each time you put on a coat, between the 2 and the 5, if you wish.

But if you have ZFX, in conjunction with the Z-2 or 5, you can apply up to 3 coats per day. The ZFX accelerates the curing and drying time.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:01 PM

OK, I have the ZFX. So, I should use the Z1 EACH time I apply the Z2 or Z5? How many times should I alternate between the Z2/Z5? Is there one I should end with instead of the other, like should I use Z5 as the las one? then put the Z6? Or apply Z6 inbetween each coat
Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are using ZFX, you should NOT be using Z1 at all. You can use Z2 or Z5 as you wish. One can take the place of the other. You can alternate or do one and then a bunch of the other. Z5 is a swirl "hider". Use it at your discretion but since you have a black car, swirl marks show more so you may want to use Z5 the most if not exclusively.
ps. Keep the Z1 as a bug and tar remover for later.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:48 PM

The ZFX takes the place of the Z-1, so the Z-1 is not needed in the process. And you don't have to use ZFX every time you want to put a coat on, just every six months. However, if you plan on doing 3 coats in a day, you do need to mix the ZFX with the polish.

You can use the Z-5 when uou feel you need it, as the Z-2. If you see swirls, use the Z-5 that day; if not, use Z-2. I find there's now very little difference in the shine between the two products. The Z-5 was reformulated last April, if I'm remembering correctly, to give a shine really equal to the Z-2, at least, in my eyes.

You can, say, put on 1 coat of Z-2 and 2 coats of Z-5 in one day, but you'll more likely than not end up wasting product because it has to be used within six hours to be effective. Try Z-5 one day, then Z-2 another day, mixing up an ounce with 4 drops of ZFX, and you should be able to get two, three coats per ounce. But always end up spritzing on the Z-6 after a session. It's not chiseled in stone you need to use Z-6 between each coat that you're putting on in the day. I tried that once and felt my arms were going to fall off.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:54 PM

Excelent. I think I have a better understanding now. So, I don't need Z1, that is good. Maybe I should go with the Z5 first to cover the swirls and finish up with the Z2. So, the ZFX is compatible with both Z5 and Z2 and will help it cure faster, right? Even in cold temps? I may have to do the process on a 50 degree day if it doesn't warm up quickly.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by sireousrex
Excelent. I think I have a better understanding now. So, I don't need Z1, that is good. Maybe I should go with the Z5 first to cover the swirls and finish up with the Z2. So, the ZFX is compatible with both Z5 and Z2 and will help it cure faster, right? Even in cold temps? I may have to do the process on a 50 degree day if it doesn't warm up quickly.
If it's that cool, check a small part to see if it wipes off cleanly without smearing. If it smears, it's not ready.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:05 PM

I've used ZFX/Z-2 at 40 degrees, putting on three coats, just takes longer to dry; in my case, 40 minutes or so for each coat. The Z-5 HIDES minor swirls, but may take multiple coats.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:21 PM

OK, so you think I should do a couple of costs of Z5 first, and then do a few with Z2 and then finish up witht the Z6?
Old 02-07-2003, 10:56 PM

Do the Z-5 coats on one day, finish the session with Z-6. Then, another day, still see swirls, use the Z-5 again, finish with Z-6. Or might want to do the Z-2, finishing with Z-6 that day. Up to you.

Quick Reply: Another Zaino question