S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Advice on what to buy and use on my car

Old 03-31-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on what to buy and use on my car

I have a 2000 Silverstone S2000 that has recently be repainted in a few places. I was wondering what Zymol products I should purchase to bring out a great shine and remove some slight blemishes in the paint. What wax should I use? What polish should I use? Is my car dark colored or light colored? That might sound stupid, but I wasn't to sure when I was looking to buy some Zymol products. I also have Volk GT-U wheels I would like to protect what should I put on them? Is there anything good for the top? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:59 AM

You have two choices w/ Zymol. Their cleaner/wax is a good product, tested great w/ Consumer Reports a few years ago (got the #1 rating) but it won't remove any blemishes in the paint.

Their hand-crafted line would include the HD-cleanse polish and the Carbon wax for your color. The HD-cleanse is an excellent polish but you may need to use a buffer if you have bad blemishes.

On the Volks, use RejeX or Klasse AIO.

The top - 303 is the standard, although Raggtopp and Amazing Roll Off will work.

(Ok, now it's time to hear from the Zaino folks...)

Zymol Carbon at Bizrate

303 Vinyl top kit at Bizrate
Old 03-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Vrm Vrm
(Ok, now it's time to hear from the Zaino folks...)

How bout the Meguiars NXT folks

I agree with Vrm Vrm - the buffer is going to be your best bet on trying to fix blemishes. If you haven't used a buffer before (or are uncomfortable with it), Sears has a nice little special on an easy-to-use one right now. I too have a Silverstone and have had the car painted in different areas (fenders, driver's door, hood, etc...) and the buffer (with a decent wax) has been able to knock down some orange peel and smooth those edges up

Tomorrow I will be putting a base of Zaino on then topping it off with Meguairs NXT - I used to use Zymol, but it is like a dirt magnet and just isn't worth the money compared to Zaino or NXT - in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Poindexter
Old 03-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Former Moderator

First, why top the Zaino w/ the NXT?
For looks - I've seen Zaino topped with other waxes and it seems to deepen the shine.

[QUOTE]

Next, in a way I understand why you think Zymol is expensive - it is.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:57 PM

I have heard good things about Zaino what about that brand? What do I need?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Former Moderator

HondaGal started a Zaino FAQ but you can substitute ZFX for Z1 now.

And there is always www.zainostore.com
Old 03-31-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Poindexter
For looks - I've seen Zaino topped with other waxes and it seems to deepen the shine.
True - the refractive properties of the Zaino make it too reflective, minimizing the paint's depth (IMHO). So then why bother with the Zaino step? (I'm just playing devil's advocate, don't take offense to my question!)
[QUOTE]The wax a true collector would use wouldn't be the plain old Zymol found for $12.99 or even the small jar for about $50, but the $800 to $1,200 stuff
Old 03-31-2004, 03:18 PM

lots of talk here. how about a pic? this was a weekend with z5, z5, z2, than topped with p21. all applied and removed with a PC. i hear a lot of good things about all the above mentioned, but i can't imagine getting more of a shine than what i'm getting now. [shameless plug: all supplies courtesy of vrm vrm and www.sportscarcare.com ]

Old 03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Former Moderator

If you want to minimize the risk of error, using a high-quality foam pad all but guarantees you can't mess up.
It just so happens that I bought one when I picked up the NXT - I'll try it out tomorrow instead of the terry!

Vrm Vrm - I didn't realize I was talking to Sports Car Care until that last post. Okay everyone - take Vrm Vrm's word over mine!

Quick Reply: Advice on what to buy and use on my car