S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

About to detail the S...few more questions first!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to detail the S...few more questions first!

Hey everyone,

So I finally got a couple extra days off work and the weekend to start my detail on the S, however, looks like the weather is going to just be really crappy tomorrow and Friday hovering around 0C
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im not sure what 0*C would be in Farenheit. Do you hace a garage or doing the detail outside?

Clay should strip off the remaining LSP.
Not really necessary to wear a dust mask, but you can if you like.

Also, what do you mean by touch-ups? paint wise I assume.

I would do that first, then wait a few weeks and go back and do the detail. If you wax the car, then do paint touchups the paint wont stick.

If you are trying to get a few last minute items as far as OTC products, try and find the meguiars leather wipes, until you can get some really good leather stuff. Or see if the local parts store has Lexol. That will work better.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM

32*F is what 0*C is. It little bit brisk.. but it can be done.

Clay CAN strip LSP.. but polishing definitely will.

I agree with Roger above about touch up paint.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM

So I decided to wait til it warms up again, today was just tooooo cold. I did however manage to scrounge up a few more things I'll be needing for my detail.

1. Dawn - found out the local dollar store has the original dawn for $1 a bottle, thought I might as well use it to get most of the lsp off so I can have a good look at what I'm dealing with.

2. Couple bottles of 50/50 IPA - also found this at the dollar store, should come in handy when polishing.

Also picked up some various brushes, some ear plugs, scent/softener/chemical free laundry detergent for washing my MF, and I picked up some armor all tire foam as it was on sale to use on wheels I guess and hopefully some other plastic trim, but if you guys say this stuff is worthless, I'll just bring it back.

I'll definately grab some megs leather stuff for now, I need to grab some painters tape however. I'm also struggling to find an APC that looks safe to use, everything I'm finding in the stores always seems to have some sort of " chemical downside" so I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet (mostly for engine details), and I'm also hard pressed to find some engine dressing, all I can find here is some citrus stuff made by GUNK but I'm not sure I trust that yet. Any other alternatives?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 PM

I wouldn't recommend dawn. It'll dry out the plastics on the car, and the seals around the convertible top. It's a touchy subject with some detailers--and I know some here do it without any bad results to date. But taking precautions to cause as little damage as possible when detailing is part of the gig. This is one of the things that can potentially cause damage.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM

ok, no biggie, ill skip the dawn and just do the clay to take off any remaining LSP, should mostly be gone by now anyways.

as for finding some APC + dressing (engine dressing etc etc), ive found some duragloss stuff from eshine that looks promising, im thinking i may go with another order there and get this stuff

duragloss 221 - leather cond.

duragloss 401 - apc

duragloss 265 - ultimate detail spray (wheel wells/engine bay)

how do those 3 look? or is there something else on eshine you guys see that might be more worth while?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:03 PM

DG makes some good stuff, even though I havent used the 3 you mentioned above. I would say go for it
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM

i really do like the prices on the DG stuff, eshine just recently got the line in so im assuming it should be good!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 AM

DG 105 is awesome combined with 601.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just said 0C to make me jealous . It reached 90F this week in Texas haha. Good luck and post lots of pics!

Quick Reply: About to detail the S...few more questions first!