S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

93 Corrado Test Subject

Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 93 Corrado Test Subject

Orange Peel = bad.

93 Corrado = neglected, sitting on the street for 3 years, repainted a couple times.

fun fun...

Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok ,,, you piqued my interest! what was your process and products?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 AM

The only way to take down orange peel, of course!
- Wash
- Clay (didn't take up much, but cleaned the surface nicely)
- Wetsand w/1500 grit
- Wetsand w/2000 grit
- Polish with yellow cutting pad & Sonus SFX1 (x3)
- Polish with green polishing pad & Sonus SFX2 (x3)
- Red Moose Machine Glaze by hand
- Pinnacle Souveran by hand

A rotary and wool pad would have allowed me to go from the 1500 to PC, but I don't have a rotary or a wool pad, so I had to PC my way there... Even then, I could use some 3000 grit to take down the 2000 grit marks before going to the PC...

It's not perfect and I'm sure the clearcoat is wicked thin now, but it's just a test, for practice, etc...
Old 08-03-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Aug 3 2005, 01:33 AM
It's not perfect and I'm sure the clearcoat is wicked thin now, but it's just a test, for practice, etc...
hey, i bet the owner is ecstatic-

from a real beater car to one he might be able to have some pride in driving!

finished with the whole car? the wheels look like a challenge too!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 AM

no no no, just the fender.
It's my brother's car, sort of. A friend gave it to him a few years back but he hasn't taken the time to fix it up properly. The rotors are solid rust discs, the windshield is cracked in 2 places... Seals are rotting, the carpet needs to be replaced... BUT it still starts up just fine and seems to run strong.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Wow! Looks great! I've read a lot of your posts here and also over at autopia. You always do good work.

Are the sonus products favorites of yours or are they just what you happened to have on hand? How aggressive are they?

I have the PC and use the 3M swirl mark remover, but I only use it on my s2k, which is kept in good shape. I've thought about picking up some more aggressive products (a good 1-2 punch) like Menzerna IP & FP or Meguiar's 83 & 80. I don't know what your experience with these are. Is the Sonus SFX1 & SFX2 combo along the same lines as these other combos? I don't have a need for them on my vehicle, but thought it would be fun to try some stuff on other vehicles.

In general, what are your favorite products?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 PM

usace - Thanks

I happened to have these products on hand, as I'm getting them for free as part of a deal with Autopia (I photograph the product shots, before and afters for their marketing) and thought I'd give them a workout before I did the shoot. They worked rather well and in fact the SFX1 really left no noticable marring with an orange pad, but since I was using the very agressive yellow cutting pad, I decided to follow up with the sfx2.

i'd equate the sfx1 to #83/SSR2.5/3M FC2/IP, the sfx2 to #80/SSR2/3MSMR/FP2 and the sfx3 is probably along the lines of a SSR1/3M IHG/VM. The Sonus products smell nice, the sfx1 dusted a bit (you can see in the final photo, on the hood), but the others did not. They worked well, worked quickly, overall I was happy with them. They are really very thick out of the bottle, for whatever that's worth.

I haven't used the IP/FP2 on any cars yet, but think I'll try them out with my rotary, whenever I get that (I hear they finish better with a rotary). I'm thinking Metabo

I rather like the SSR2.5, but found dusting a bit of an issue. I'm really split as to which are my favorite products, since they each have their strong points and weak points, but these new Sonus products impressed me. I'd say the 3M are my least favorite, because they tend to dust so much. Meguiars are somewhere in the middle.

If you're only doing your own car, I'd say to give the Sonus a try. I wouldn't have purchased them myself, but they're not bad, if a little expensive for 8oz - which should last you probably 4 full s2000 details, maybe?

I have no interest with Sonus/Autopia, aside from my status as a vendor to them and I believe this is an unbiased review.

thanks again.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Aug 3 2005, 05:33 AM

It's a 1993 that has been neglected. I don't think he cares how much clear coat he has left.

I love to wetsand. You don't get much of a chance to anymore unless there is really something wrong.

How's the Red Moose? I haven't purchased that yet. I'm getting ready to try the Optimum Polish that just came a few days ago.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:53 PM

I like the red moose. I've only applied it by hand so far, but it seems to be pretty good stuff. The vanilla moose has some very very light polishing abrasives, I believe, but RMG is pure glaze.

I think if I pick up a rotary I'll have to pick up and try out some Optimum polish, too... people seem to love that stuff.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info animes2k. I've been leaning towards the Meguiar's 83 & 80, but only because I think they'd be more available locally. Although, I've heard good stuff about the Menzerna IP & FP, the SSR2.5/1, and now the Sonus stuff. It seems people are receiving good results with a bunch of different product combos, so I don't think I can really go wrong with any of them. I guess it comes to down to ease of use and dusting (and price, obviously).

Quick Reply: 93 Corrado Test Subject