S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

3M Clear Bra

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3M Clear Bra

I understand the concept of the film is to protect against stone chips, bug damage and abrasions.

My question is the film durable enough to protect the bumpers against from the damage of close-quarter parking? My brother just purchased a 2009 Civic and would like to protect the bumpers. His last car looked like a someone ran a cheese grater over the front- and rear-bumpers. He has no choice and must park on the street in an urban area.

I suggested a clear bra over the front- and rear-bumper but don't want him to waste the money if it is not durable to handle the constant 'bumping' from people parking.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Michael
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Clear bra can take abuse to some degree. Its basically like a large peice of the screen protector which comes on a new product. The 3m will peel off if you want it to with use of a heatgun and without damaging the paint. So reapplication should be painless. It should protect against light direct hits, but side to side motion will cause the clear bar to tear and rip assuming whatever is hitting it is causing enough friction to do so.

My advice would be to double up the 3m on the front leading edge of the bumpers. (assuming 3m clear bar can do that). It might cause it cause a loss of gloss to the paint if you double it up though.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it reallly depends on the force of the blow to the 3m... very light blows might be protected against, but anything with any force just can not be dealt with by the thin layer of 3m protectant
that said, a thin layer is better than nothing!!

oh, btw- most synethics can be used over the 3m for some even more protection...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's protect the paint as long as film stays in tact, but not the physical indentation.

<====use to clear bra and tint.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by RUGBY,Nov 4 2008, 10:11 AM
I understand the concept of the film is to protect against stone chips, bug damage and abrasions.

My question is the film durable enough to protect the bumpers against from the damage of close-quarter parking? My brother just purchased a 2009 Civic and would like to protect the bumpers. His last car looked like a someone ran a cheese grater over the front- and rear-bumpers. He has no choice and must park on the street in an urban area.

I suggested a clear bra over the front- and rear-bumper but don't want him to waste the money if it is not durable to handle the constant 'bumping' from people parking.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Michael
Yes, there is no question it will be strong enough for simple parking lot bumps, unless the other car has a metal pretruding object that would possibly go through the film.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 PM

I have an indentation of what looks like a tow hitch cover and I have a clear bra on the front Also a big rock hit me on the highway taking a chunk of the bra off and dented my front lip also protected by a bra. It doesn't offer complete protection but it's better than nothing.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM

one thing i noticed...it actually makes indentation worse. my sisters lexus got nicked and it wasnt bad but the dipression in the rock guard made it much more pronounced.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jetblackm3smg,Dec 3 2008, 01:19 PM
Yes, there is no question it will be strong enough for simple parking lot bumps, unless the other car has a metal pretruding object that would possibly go through the film.
I dont think he is worried about parking lot parking. He is in Jersey and mentioned Urban so I am thinking the car will be parking paralle from each other.

I have a clear bra but I do not believe it would protect with contact with other bumpers. It wont protect from dents.