S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

1st Time Washing the S2k

Old 09-02-2006, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Time Washing the S2k

Well i want to learn how to detail my Car. I looked around but found nothing. Can any of u guys Give me Tips On what to do? i want to make it Shine. and Wich products would be good.

Thanks Andy.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SliverS2k03,Sep 2 2006, 10:25 PM
Well i want to learn how to detail my Car. I looked around but found nothing. Can any of u guys Give me Tips On what to do? i want to make it Shine. and Wich products would be good.

Thanks Andy.
Given that your car is an 03 it probably has a bit of wear and tear. Here's a quick breakdown of the general products you should purchase and use (in my opinion...everyone has their own prefereces )

Car Shampoo: Meguiar's Gold or Meguiar's NXT

Wool Wash Mitt

Waffle Weave drying towel

Clay Bar (any brand will do...I use Meguiar's)

A soft wheel brush...I use a long stem Meguiar's brush

A packet of 10 microfiber towels - you can get a multipak at costco for cheap. If you're new to detailing, learn to use microfiber towels for everything...don't ever use old beach towels, etc.

Stoner's Glass Cleaner

Klasse All In One Polish/Wax

Wheel Cleaner / Tire Shine - I use Sonus Brand for both products

303 Aerospace protectant for the interior vinyl bits (and exterior pieces if you'd like). This is hands down the best vinyl protectant you can get your hands on. I would avoid the ever popular Armorall as, in my opinion, it sucks.

A good leather cleaner/conditioner. This is a product that people seem to have very particular preferences for. My favorite is Zaino Z9 cleaner and Z10 Conditioner. Other favorites are townsend, and lexol.

That's about all I can think of for now. This will get you started. Order this stuff online...it's easier and there are more products available. My favorite site is autopia.org. They have a great how-to section here.
After you've read the how-to, figure out what products you'd like to get and go shopping
here.
Good luck and make sure to take before and after pictures for all us wash and wax wackos!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot to know when it comes to detailing and no one can really answer your question in a single post. Here are some things to get you started though . . .

These are some great articles about detailing and detailing products some being "how to" articles . . .

BetterCarCare.com

Of course, reading the Autopia guide to car care is a real must have . . .

Autopia Detailing Guide

Reading the information in those two links should give you a general idea of what products you'll need, when to perform particular detailing functions, and how to do them. As far as what brand of products to use, well that all comes down to personal preference. When it comes down to it detailing is 90% technique and only 10% product selection. This being said, I suggest you do a little more reading and see what different people are using. Pay particular attention to the results they get and hopefully they state what attributes they like about the product. When reading these reviews keep in mind your own preferences and what you want from your detailing. Here are some good places to read about products . . .

S2KI.com W&W Forum of course!!!

Particularly my product reviews

Autopia

Detail City

Autogeek OnLine

Meguiar's OnLine
Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also check out the stickies at the top of our board-
after doing some reading, post back with any questions. we love to help, and the more specific the question, the better the answer that you will get will be, imo!
cant wait to see some pics of your car after your detail too (go for that badge!)!!