S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

is $150 reasonable for a professional detail job?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is $150 reasonable for a professional detail job?

i'm going to have these guys detail my Mercedes. she really needs a professional detail job, and then i can DIY later. how does their work look? thanks!

http://www.customautodetailing.com/
Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices are about average. I havent heard of this company though. I'm sure after you inspect it and you notice some dirt, etc. they'll clean it up for you.

Nothing like a freshly detailed car.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Why not buy supplies with that $150 and do it yourself? Then you will still have whatever you bought to use later instead of spending more.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Yes - the price is fair. But think of it this way. How much is your time worth. You know how much do you get paid say broken down by the hour (on average).
A really good detail job takes me 8 hours over two days. Gotta let the wax, or in my case Zaino, set.
If I was doing the detail I'd have to charge alot if I value it at what my time costs others.
But then I'm a Wax and Wax Wacko and do it myself for the therapy time in the garage away from the world and the pride.
So $150 sound more then fair.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Former Moderator

That's pretty cheap if that includes machine polishing/swirl removal. My last few paint correction only clients i charged $250. I don't do interiors.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 PM

A truley good detail would cost way more than 150. It took me around a week to go through all the process of detailing
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM

If you read their pricing $150 is for a inside/outside detail but does not include swirl removal. Swirl removal could cost you up to $100 more. $250 is still a reasonable price depending on how bad a condition your car is in.

As far as are they any good . . . I couldn't really tell you. I've never heard of them. This picture is from their gallery under swirl removal though . . .

IMO it doesn't look like they got out all the defects and this is the picture they posted on their website. I would think you would want to put your best foot forward on your website.

Anyway, I would suggest putting up a thread on Autopia saying that you are looking for a detailer. I'm sure you'll find a few good candidates that way. Always try to see a car (preferrably a black one) they've detailed in person and get an in person estimate before agreeing to any work.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Former Moderator

Their website is confusing. Here is a portion of the full service detail. It says machine polishing in the desription. To me that means swirl removal.

--------------------------------
FULL SERVICE VEHICLE DETAIL most cars $140 most trucks and SUV's $160

Exterior Services Include:

Machine polishing to optimize gloss and remove oxidation
Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Mar 8 2007, 06:15 AM
Exterior Services Include:

Machine polishing to optimize gloss and remove oxidation
I bet this means they just apply AIO or a similar product by machine prior to whatever wax or sealant they use. That can be done VERY quickly by machine, and wouldn't remove any swirls. Sounds impressive though. LOL.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only way (only way) to control quality is to do it yourself...
a pro has to cut corners somewhere, unless he is underpaid or really an enthusiast in pro clothing (not likely!)-
so, another vote for taking that $150 and buying stuff that you will use for a long time and many more details- also even the learning part is fun.
hey, why not post up in your local forum that you will supply product and refreshments if someone will help you out... this has been done over and over with great success-

good luck with whichever route you chose!

Quick Reply: is $150 reasonable for a professional detail job?