S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

"Is that your mid-life crisis car?"

Old 06-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default "Is that your mid-life crisis car?"

Being Vintage, I'm sure that you've all heard this question or something similar a few times. I have. Generally it's asked by friends and acquaintances. Strangers don't know you and really don't care. I find that sometimes the person asking the question is serious, and sometimes I find that they are trying to be wiseguys. This brings me to two thoughts and questions.

First of all, how do you answer this question? I find that if it is an acquaintance and not a close friend I simply shrug my shoulders and say, "Yes". I really don't care what they think. It is much more difficult if they are a friend. I don't want to offend, but on the other hand I want them to understand that I really like the car and am not trying to be 18 again. I want them to understand that eventhough I am in my 50s I am still able to enjoy some of lifes pleasures.

I start by telling them about my MGB, TD, TR6 and the other fun cars that I've owned. I tell them about the joy of driving a sports car. I tell them plenty and usually I find myself wasting my breath. Oftentimes they simply look at me and say, "You'll grow up some day". I answer, "No I won't". The question is, how do you answer and explain what you mean without insulting.

My other thought/question is have we so stereotyped age, and especially 40s, 50s and 60s, as a time where a person can no longer enjoy pleasures like owning and driving a sports car? It seems to me that the crisis question is really suggesting that at my (our) age it is no longer possible to enjoy a sports car and so I must be trying to be younger again. When did that happen? When did aging elliminate the ability to enjoy life and the things that help bring enjoyment? When did people over the age of 40 become so one dimensional? I never knew we were.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 06-05-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In a way, I'm lucky. Noone I know asks me this question. I've been driving "special" cars since I was 17 years old. When people see me and my car, they are more curious about when I'm getting rid of it for the next one. They all know I'm a car nut. When I had my "mid-life" crisis, I became a firefighter.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

I can't remember getting that question. Most people I meet, particularly the guys, think it is fantastic that I own this car, and want to ride in it or drive it. The subject of age doesn't come up.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Maybe its my grey hair, but I've heard this question a number of times. I still get it occasionally.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny..... The only concern I had when I purchased this car was that someone might think I 'was' trying to re-capture my youth. Must be a sign of my increased maturity. Fortunately, like XVIPER, I have had enough sports cars and motorcycles that people who know me feel I am just being me.
Knock on wood... I have only had a couple of people who don't know me make the mid-life crisis remark. My first reaction is to tell them to f------, but then I just shake my head that some people are so lame brained that they feel they can make this type of remark to someone they don't know.
I just let it go. Must be another sign of my increased maturity....
Old 06-05-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The term "mid-life crisis" was invented by those who never learned how to enjoy themselves and resent those who still do.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been asked that a lot. While I usually laugh and play along with the expected answer to that question, I do tell people that in fact the S2000 is the realization of a 30 year dream, and relate this tale.

When my wife and I were married 2 years, we had put money down on a new Datsun 260Z. We were both eagerly anticipating our first sports car. We were supposed to go in on a Monday after work to pick it up. On the Saturday before, she told me she had just found out she was pregnant with our first child. Needless to say we didn't pick up a new car, instead we picked up our money.

It turns out our daughter was born with (to our and the doctor's surprise) a severe congenital heart defect, necessitating several surgeries over the years beginning at a week old. Our second daughter was born 14 months later with a similar but less severe heart defect. Our oldest also had a number of severe complications from surgery which caused further care issues.

Soooo, as a result, things like sports cars, hobbies, golf, etc were put on indefinite hold. Now that both girls are grown and gone, Hilly and I are now able to live life for ourselves, and make some dreams come true.

Oh, btw, both girls are doing fine, Kim (the oldest) still has some health issues but they are normal for adult CHD patients.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:22 PM

Stereotyping rules the world. Plus that's an easy comment to throw out without having to strain the brain of the person saying it.

It's just more fun taking the S to the Bingo parlor.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally posted by Legal Bill
The term "mid-life crisis" was invented by those who never learned how to enjoy themselves and resent those who still do.
I agree, and the more I think about the question, I don't think I have ever asked anyone else if whatever they bought was because of the mid life crisis.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:08 AM

I have found that since I purchased the car, people often assume that I am youger than I am. I am currently the ripe old age of 40. I think it is the light tan that I now have.

Quick Reply: "Is that your mid-life crisis car?"