S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Do you swear, either in private or in public?
No, never. I'm squeaky clean.
3.77%
Just a little, but not the bad words.
5.66%
Once in a while, and I do use the bad words.
18.87%
Yes, but not the F word, and I do keep it clean in public.
3.77%
Yes, including the F word, but not in public.
41.51%
Yes, I'm really a potty mouth. Public or not.
26.42%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a cusser?

Old 07-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,483 Likes on 1,889 Posts

After my "Do You Pee in the Shower?" thread, where I expected the overwhelming Yes outcome, this poll has surprised me. I thought fewer people cussed. I think many are in the closet with this, in an effort to not offend others.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Patty,

What's your opinion?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Hmm. I am a big time cusser. I learned swear words at an early age from my dad, but my mom taught me to not do it in public and she didn't ever say the F word. And along the way I learned that some people think cussers are low class.

So my opinion is, to each, his own. I like to cuss and always have. If you, Rob, save it for worthwhile events, that's fine for you. I only find it a little rude, when I hear people using the F word loud, in a public place. That's my mom coming through.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jul 21 2006, 11:45 PM
Hmm. I am a big time cusser. I learned swear words at an early age from my dad, but my mom taught me to not do it in public and she didn't ever say the F word. And along the way I learned that some people think cussers are low class.

So my opinion is, to each, his own. I like to cuss and always have. If you, Rob, save it for worthwhile events, that's fine for you. I only find it a little rude, when I hear people using the F word loud, in a public place. That's my mom coming through.
Patty,

I agree with the to each his/her own ideal.

My problem with the overuse of all curse words is that they stop having any meaning. I listen to younger people talk, and everyother word is a curse. The curses stop having any impact and might just as well be a substitute for the ever popular, "you know". I also listen to people who speak a proper English and when they use a curse word, even a mild one, it has impact.

Again, to each his/her own. Language belongs to everyone, and each person should use it in the way it suits them.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Member (Premium)

I think it is a part of people's language when they use it often. It's not meant for the big impact that another person uses it for.

My oldest sister (she's 58) my dad's first daughter, swears even more than me. She cracks me up with it. I just read her e-mail to me, about our dad's someday-to-be ex-wife, and the title on it was "f****g idiots". It's a big part of her language, but not saved for special events.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my previous job at a commercial mortgage bank, I had to deal with a lot of shady slumlords, shadier in-house loan reps, and arrogant Wall Streeters who buy our papers. You had to drop the F bomb often to get your point across sometimes. It's almost mandatory.

I'm now with another bank which has a much better working environment. Hopefully it'll stay this way.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:57 AM

I curse mostly for emphasis or humor, but other times it just rolls out from frustration.

Once I was at work at about 5:30pm on a Friday, a time where 99% of the time everyone else is gone. I had plans to go out that night and had to get this install program working and send it out to a customer before I could leave. The program was working and tested, but I couldn't get the installation to work and it took 30 min to test it again each cycle and I had been doing this at least 4 hours. So I was positive I had found the problem and I was testing it in a common area but no one was around. Testing didn't work out and I led out a string of profanity that would be hard to duplicate even scripted (I mean really long with every horrible phrase you can think of). Just at the end of it, I noticed that the most straight laced woman in our office had been behind me to hear the entire tirade. She didn't say anything and I didn't say anything, she just left the room.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CalBear,Jul 22 2006, 01:14 AM
At my previous job at a commercial mortgage bank, I had to deal with a lot of shady slumlords, shadier in-house loan reps, and arrogant Wall Streeters who buy our papers. You had to drop the F bomb often to get your point across sometimes. It's almost mandatory.
Like the Seinfeld episode with the baseball guys from Houston and George having to swear to fit in.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by HydnHood,Jul 22 2006, 09:57 AM
Testing didn't work out and I led out a string of profanity that would be hard to duplicate even scripted (I mean really long with every horrible phrase you can think of). Just at the end of it, I noticed that the most straight laced woman in our office had been behind me to hear the entire tirade. She didn't say anything and I didn't say anything, she just left the room.
You meant that ^, right?

I wonder what she was thinking.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only when it slips out.

Quick Reply: Are you a cusser?