S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

You can not advertise below invoice!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:51 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts
Default You can not advertise below invoice!

Did you know that Honda dealers are prohibited from advertising vehicles below invoice whether in print, online or broadcast media. After three offenses in one year, a dealership can lose its marketing assistance, which can be $400 per vehicle for many dealers!

Honda argues its policy, probably the toughest in the industry, are in place to protect the brand, which, in practice, has helped Honda vehicles retain some of the highest residual values among all brands.

Toyota is preparing to ban dealerships from advertising vehicles at below-invoice prices, in line with Honda’s policy. It’s not being well received by some of Toyota’s dealers. Some of the larger ones say 3 out of 4 sales are below invoice.

Since we all know that new car invoices, unlike almost any other products, are merely a starting point for negotiations on the final selling price, to me this is a just a form of price fixing. What do you think?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

If they are not prohibiting the dealer from selling below invoice, it's really more of a marketing gimmick, and it doesn't seem to effect the outcome of the sale of the car, just the full page newspaper ads. David Chrysler out side of Phila. has been using the line $1 over invoice for years, I am not sure I see much difference.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,142 Likes on 773 Posts

Sounds to me like they're not prohibited from selling below invoice, just advertising a price below invoice. I don't see any problem there.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Please define invoice. The dealers invoice (his cost) (before all kickbacks etc) or the MSRP sticker price on the window?

It seems you are talking about MSRP and calling it invoice, but there is no "invoice" at the retail end of it, until the car is sold.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

I don't know if cars are technically a retail item.
In the retail space this silly concept of minimum advertised pricing.
a retailer can sell it for anything he wants but he just can't advertise it at a lower price than the manufacturer approves.
Advertising it for less "damages the value" of the manufacturers product.

personally I hate the existing practice as it is price fixing.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive worked in sales with Honda for over 10 years and due to the internet advertising has to be aggressive to get the consumers attention when theres so much competition. I rarely lose customers to other brands but I will lose to another Honda dealership who decides to take a bigger loss than I do. Honestly if theres no profit in the deal i see no reason to sell it unless we're over stocked. Most dealerships in my area which is northern NJ will advertise leases with payments that equate to under invoice and Corporate does nothing about it.. My dealership does the same thing and no one from corporate really cares as long as we meet their goals in volume sales. As a sales person the last thing I want to do is sell the advertised car since its a blowout to just get you in through the door so the goal is to switch you to another car lol
Old 08-25-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I don't know if cars are technically a retail item.
In the retail space this silly concept of minimum advertised pricing.
a retailer can sell it for anything he wants but he just can't advertise it at a lower price than the manufacturer approves.
Advertising it for less "damages the value" of the manufacturers product.

personally I hate the existing practice as it is price fixing.
Kind of reminds you of Apple products!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
Ive worked in sales with Honda for over 10 years and due to the internet advertising has to be aggressive to get the consumers attention when theres so much competition. I rarely lose customers to other brands but I will lose to another Honda dealership who decides to take a bigger loss than I do. Honestly if theres no profit in the deal i see no reason to sell it unless we're over stocked. Most dealerships in my area which is northern NJ will advertise leases with payments that equate to under invoice and Corporate does nothing about it.. My dealership does the same thing and no one from corporate really cares as long as we meet their goals in volume sales. As a sales person the last thing I want to do is sell the advertised car since its a blowout to just get you in through the door so the goal is to switch you to another car lol
Unless things have changed the rule of thumb used to be for every 4 through the door, 1 will buy.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
Just signed on the dotted line for a new CR-V EX.....

Internet shopping is the way to go!

Closest dealer met the best price I had received....

Getting it for over $3k off MSRP.....

I'm feeling good about the deal.....

CR-V is being assembled around 9/10/15.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I'm not really sure that the dealer's invoice really means anything anyway. Very few dealers actually pay the manufacturer the invoice price.