S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

You can never go home again.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
How about you? Have you recently gone back to the place where you grew up? Was it as good as your memories? Were you able to “go home again”?
I have, but unfortunately the place is nothing like it was when I was a child. I grew up in a very small town on the coast of Maine, which was essentially Mayberry, but with Maine accents. We had a town cop, a town drunk, a town gossip, and a host of rather eccentric characters one usually finds only in a small town. The high school, which also served as the HS for the five surrounding towns, had an entire student population of 236, and everyone in town knew everyone else.
Main Street, like its name suggests, was the main route that ran through the center of town from it's south end to its northern border, along with a sidewalk which paralleled it the entire distance. The entirety of the Main Street of my childhood was lined with hundreds of stately, old Elm trees, which would form something of a comforting leafy tunnel over the street from one end of town to the other during the warm months of summer. The street, incidentally, that my beloved grandfather walked daily for thirty seven years, while faithfully delivering the town's mail,
Most of the townspeople earned their living from what the sea had to grudgingly offer - lobstermen, clam diggers, worm diggers, wooden ship builders, and fishermen.
The lovely Elms have been gone since the early 70s, thanks to the blight of Dutch Elm disease that struck the town, which killed them all. The cast of colorful characters is also long gone, thanks to the ravages of age, disease, and the influx of more "upscale" and far less interesting entrepreneurs, aspiring artists, and aging hippies with more money than sense. Also gone are the corner neighborhood independent grocery stores operated by lifelong members of our little community, having been supplanted by shops catering to the summer tourists' taste for the tacky and useless.
Such as it is with all it's faults my town remains, at least in those sheltering recesses embracing those memories, the only true home and sense of belonging I have ever known. It is to the place held dear by those memories I intend to be returned when the inexorable advance of time inevitably demands it.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

The ex +1 moved to Argentina a year and half ago. He grew up there. I thought it would work out, but apparently it hasn't. Saw him at dinner last night and he's thinking of moving back. To be continued...
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1372042330' post='22626537
How about you? Have you recently gone back to the place where you grew up? Was it as good as your memories? Were you able to “go home again”?
I have, but unfortunately the place is nothing like it was when I was a child. I grew up in a very small town on the coast of Maine, which was essentially Mayberry, but with Maine accents. We had a town cop, a town drunk, a town gossip, and a host of rather eccentric characters one usually finds only in a small town. The high school, which also served as the HS for the five surrounding towns, had an entire student population of 236, and everyone in town knew everyone else.
Main Street, like its name suggests, was the main route that ran through the center of town from it's south end to its northern border, along with a sidewalk which paralleled it the entire distance. The entirety of the Main Street of my childhood was lined with hundreds of stately, old Elm trees, which would form something of a comforting leafy tunnel over the street from one end of town to the other during the warm months of summer. The street, incidentally, that my beloved grandfather walked daily for thirty seven years, while faithfully delivering the town's mail,
Most of the townspeople earned their living from what the sea had to grudgingly offer - lobstermen, clam diggers, worm diggers, wooden ship builders, and fishermen.
The lovely Elms have been gone since the early 70s, thanks to the blight of Dutch Elm disease that struck the town, which killed them all. The cast of colorful characters is also long gone, thanks to the ravages of age, disease, and the influx of more "upscale" and far less interesting entrepreneurs, aspiring artists, and aging hippies with more money than sense. Also gone are the corner neighborhood independent grocery stores operated by lifelong members of our little community, having been supplanted by shops catering to the summer tourists' taste for the tacky and useless.
Such as it is with all it's faults my town remains, at least in those sheltering recesses embracing those memories, the only true home and sense of belonging I have ever known. It is to the place held dear by those memories I intend to be returned when the inexorable advance of time inevitably demands it.
Another lovely epistle.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
Another lovely epistle.
It's fun to hear people's "story" which sometimes gives a better understanding. The tale is often more bittersweet than totally sweet.

I drive through my old neighborhoods in Harrisburg PA...one in the depressed city and one in the nearby "white flight" suburbs. The one in the city had a "foreclosure" sign a couple months ago, and the little developer house (built 1955) in the 'burbs is looking pretty "run down". I still like to drive by b/c it brings back a lot of memories.

For an even better taste of the place, the next time that you visit: Park the car, get out and WALK around for a half hour. You'll likely see a number of things differently
Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Born into a military family so we moved every 13 months or so. I did go back through Miles City Montana a few years ago but it was on a cross county drive so I didn't stay to look places and people up.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
If any of you ever went to Palisades Park be sure to read the book of the same name that just came out. The +1 is reading it - he worked there for years with his grandfather and father. It was a very sad day when it closed. His father actually went into a depression over it, so not all good memories.
Deb,

Last night I took a walk in the dark,
A swinging place called Palisades Park,
I went there just to see what I could see,
That's where the girls are.

I went to Palisades Park a lot, especially after I got my license. It was an adventure. Palisades Park was in Jersey just on the other side of the Hudson. In those days it was a long, long drive from Brooklyn.

By the time I started going there regularly, it was a bit old, dirty and run down. Sort of a pretty lady with a dirty face. I don't remember which one of the three, Alan Freed, Murray the K or Cousin Brucie used to broadcast from there on Saturday nights in the summer, but I think it was Murray the K and his Swinging Soriee.

I seem to remember that there also were Saturday evening broadcasts from Palisades Park on radio station WMGM which, after rock n roll was deemed to be of no social redeeming quality, was changed to another station, WHN. This was earlier than the big name DJ shows that I remember.

It was a fun place.

I'm not sure, but I think that Palisades Park is now a high rise luxury apartment complex. You can see it from Manhattan's West Side Highway.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
Rob,

Nice to know that some things in your old neighborhood are still the same.

On the other hand, if you were to go to the Queens neighborhood that we both used to live in you would not recognize anything along Liberty Ave except for the "El" (Elevated Train for you non-New Yorkers) that is the southern end of the line for the famed "A Train".

A few weeks ago, my Mother, who has been living in Riverhead Long Island since 1987 was lamenting (as she often does) about how much she misses the neighborhood that she called home for forty-nine years. I sarcastically suggested that we drive into Richmond Hill to have lunch and suggested that we go to the following places to eat:

Jahn's (since 1897) Hillside & Myrtle Avenues: GONE
Sorrento's Italian Restaurant (two doors from Jahn's: GONE
Levinson's Deli (117 ST & Liberty Ave) GONE
Schaffer's Ice Cream Parlor (Lefferts Blvd & Liberty Ave) GONE
Carlo's Pizzeria (Lefferts & Liberty) GONE
The Habrau House (Jamaica Ave & Mytrle Ave) GONE
The Mohawk (121 St & Jamaica Ave) GONE
Schlosser's Deli (114 ST & Jamaica Ave) GONE
Russo's Restaurant (101 Ave & Lefferts Blvd) GONE

I could go on, but I think that you and others get the picture.

If one goes to our old neighborhood in Queens it will serve one well if one can read either Hindi or Parsi if you wish to know what the signs state or what kind of business is there now.
Matt,

May family left Richmond Hill when I was 8 so I don't really remember very many of those places. I'm sure that they're all gone now. Neighborhoods change, and as a matter of fact, that's part of what makes New York and its boroughs so great. New York, and especially Brooklyn and Queens have always welcomed each and every immigrant group that came. I know that you've heard of the riots in Williamsburg and the racial hate beatings in Howard Beach, but for the most part New Yorkers have figured out that they have to live together. And somehow it works.

The best part of it is that each group brings with it it's culture, language and customs, and manages to share them with everyone else. Where there used to be Jewish communities and Little Italys, there are now Chinatowns and Koreatowns. Where there used to be Irish communities there are now Indian and Pakistani communities. And all of the groups that were there before have a presence too. Hindi and Parsi aren't the only language of New York, most every language spoken on the planet can be heard there, and especially in Brooklyn and Queens. The sign at the Brooklyn entrance to the Williamsburg Bridge now says, "Leaving Brooklyn, Oy Vey"

As I mentioned earlier, Brighton Beach, which was previously solidly Jewish is now Russian. On warm weekend days, the older people bring out beach chairs and sit along Brighton Beach Avenue, under the El, singing Russian songs. If you ever get a chance to visit, go there on a Saturday morning and listen to the singing. It's wonderful.

Brooklyn and Queens have changed, but when you get right down to it they're exactly the same as they were when we grew up there.

My Brooklyn is still a great place.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Rob...

Nice story... Glad to hear you enjoyed reliving some childhood memories. My Mom tells me stories when the whole family piled into the back of my Zayde's seltzer truck to go to Coney Island. A treat among treats on a hot day.

For me, not quite the same... I too was born in Brooklyn. Lived all of 10 months in the Midwood area (Kings Highway, near Avenue N or thereabouts) before moving to NJ. Growing up, both sides of the family were predominantly in Brooklyn, so we spent a lot of time driving from Old Bridge back and forth to see everyone, and of course, stopping for fresh bagels, bialies and a pletzel board on the way home.

My memories aren't of the city or the neighborhoods, but of family and the drive. Unfortunately, I had to do the drive on Sunday. From where I am now, picked up Mom in Monroe, then the Goethals to the Belt to the Southern State out to Merrick LI. Back to Elmont, Queens and then the Belt back to the Goethals and home in reverse. We had an unveiling for my Aunt - my Mother's oldest sibling. My Mother is the only one left, and the rest of the family has all moved out of Brooklyn except for a cousin or two. So, visiting family isn't quite the same, and the drive, well, it's horrible, let alone the $15 for the Verrazano now and $13 for the Goethals or Outerbridge!

I sometimes wonder if the Belt will ever be construction free or why traffic backs up until Pennsylvania Ave, then magically disappears! It really is a trip worth avoiding for me at this point.

BTW- My sister teaches Culinary Arts at Grady.
Gary,

No, the construction on the Belt Parkway will never be finished, and there will always be terrible potholes. That's part of it's charm, as is the traffic. I learned to drive on the Belt Parkway, and the big sweeping turn onto the VZ Bridge was an awful lot of fun for a kid on a motorcycle (later an MGB) going to South Jersey to visit his older sister who moved there when she got married. In those days, if you lived in Brooklyn New Jersey was The Promised Land.

Interesting that your mom lives in Monroe, my older sister recently moved there. My Aunt Rose lived on Elm Avenue right off of Kings Highway, not too far from where you're from. Small world.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,002 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by Heyitsgary' timestamp='1372095196' post='22627649
Rob...

Nice story... Glad to hear you enjoyed reliving some childhood memories. My Mom tells me stories when the whole family piled into the back of my Zayde's seltzer truck to go to Coney Island. A treat among treats on a hot day.

For me, not quite the same... I too was born in Brooklyn. Lived all of 10 months in the Midwood area (Kings Highway, near Avenue N or thereabouts) before moving to NJ. Growing up, both sides of the family were predominantly in Brooklyn, so we spent a lot of time driving from Old Bridge back and forth to see everyone, and of course, stopping for fresh bagels, bialies and a pletzel board on the way home.

My memories aren't of the city or the neighborhoods, but of family and the drive. Unfortunately, I had to do the drive on Sunday. From where I am now, picked up Mom in Monroe, then the Goethals to the Belt to the Southern State out to Merrick LI. Back to Elmont, Queens and then the Belt back to the Goethals and home in reverse. We had an unveiling for my Aunt - my Mother's oldest sibling. My Mother is the only one left, and the rest of the family has all moved out of Brooklyn except for a cousin or two. So, visiting family isn't quite the same, and the drive, well, it's horrible, let alone the $15 for the Verrazano now and $13 for the Goethals or Outerbridge!

I sometimes wonder if the Belt will ever be construction free or why traffic backs up until Pennsylvania Ave, then magically disappears! It really is a trip worth avoiding for me at this point.

BTW- My sister teaches Culinary Arts at Grady.
Gary,

No, the construction on the Belt Parkway will never be finished, and there will always be terrible potholes. That's part of it's charm, as is the traffic. I learned to drive on the Belt Parkway, and the big sweeping turn onto the VZ Bridge was an awful lot of fun for a kid on a motorcycle (later an MGB) going to South Jersey to visit his older sister who moved there when she got married. In those days, if you lived in Brooklyn New Jersey was The Promised Land.

Interesting that your mom lives in Monroe, my older sister recently moved there. My Aunt Rose lived on Elm Avenue right off of Kings Highway, not too far from where you're from. Small world.
Which development is your sister in? Mom is in the Ponds.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Gary,

I don't know. My older sister cut herself off from the rest of us 20 years ago and I haven't seen or talked to her since. I've heard from other family members that she sold her house in Morganville and moved to Monroe, but I don't know where in Monroe she is. I've heard it's an active adult community, but I'm not even sure of that.

Quick Reply: You can never go home again.