S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Are you ambidexterous?
Yes
14.29%
No
39.29%
Not at all, clumsy as heck if I have to use the other hand
10.71%
A little bit
17.86%
Yes, but it takes a with a little effort .
10.71%
Stop obsessing
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Are you ambidexterous?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't consider myself ambidextrous because there is nothing I can do equally well with my right and left hands (or feet). But Lainey's definition seems to be the ability to do some things with the right and others with the left. I fit that description.

I do almost everything with my left appendages. I use my right hand for scissors and computer mice. Anything that requires me to swing with both arms, such as swinging a bat or club or chopping wood, I do right handled. For everything else I use my left.

The only thing I've ever intentionally switched is the computer mouse. When they first started appearing I used my left hand. This made it hard to use other people's computers. Then contoured mice appeared, and they were all for righties. I bit the bullet, and forced myself to switch.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

A friend of mine broke his dominant arm when we were kids. He had a cast for months. He could barely scribble at first. By the time they removed it, his hadwriting with his minor arm was excellent.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is aquadexterous. She can adjust the bathtub faucet with either foot.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 517 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasM,Apr 29 2009, 04:00 PM
I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous !

(Sorry - someone had to say it...)

JonasM
I am not sure anyone besides me "got it"
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Apr 29 2009, 04:01 PM
Being a lefty, I have no ability to do anything with my right hand.
As a left handed person I find that fascinating. Do you not do anything including using scissors with your right hand? Do you have left handed scissors? Do you have a left handed ruler for measuring?

No doubt that many right handed members of Vintage are scratching their heads wondering what in hell I am referring too right about now?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Apr 29 2009, 07:21 PM
I damn near starved to death when I screwed up my right hand.
Comments like this one makes me think that there is a reward for being left handed in a right handed world. I can use both hands to eat.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Apr 29 2009, 03:45 PM
I still do a few things left handed. I deal cards left handed, and on the rare occasions that I sew, I'm told I'm doing it as a lefty.

So, what about you. Left handed, right handed, ambidexterous ?
I find it interesting that you should mention that you deal cards left handed? On the "other hand" I contribute the fact that I never really learned to play card games was because I am left handed. When one fans the cards as a left handed person naturally would one cannot see any of the numbers (right handed people are always dumb founded when they learn this).

On the other hand, as a left handed person I take slight offense to the term "Ambidextrous" as it is derived from the Latin terms of Ambi meaning both and dextrous meaning two right hands. I beg to differ. I have a functional left hand.

With that stated and out of the way. In the interest of disclosure I guess that I should point out that I must be a confused individual. I do do certain things in a right handed fashion. Some out of necessity such as use scissors. On the other hand I bat a ball right handed and play drums right handed? So I guess that I am cross hemisphered? As I have pointed out in the past if the opposite side of one' brain controls the other side of one's body than only left handed people are in their "right minds"
Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I mentioned earlier, I trashed my right shoulder a couple of years ago. I was surprised how quickly I learned to eat, comb hair, etc. with my left hand.

The increased agility in the left hand disappeared quickly after I regained use of the right arm,
Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm a righty but eat mostly lefty.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Originally Posted by RC - Ryder,Apr 29 2009, 08:50 PM
I can't even think of anything I can do with my left hand.

Left handed people, who have worn glasses since or before high school, are intellectually well above average. This is old social data; do you agree? I believe it.
I believe it, too. I write left handed, but do other things right handed, and still others with either hand.

Quick Reply: Are you ambidexterous?