S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

xviper has left the building

Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not so much that Dave was the only one who knew stuff, or that he knew everything. However, more than most he was willing to answer questions and share his knowlege.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 5 2006, 08:39 PM
It's not so much that Dave was the only one who knew stuff, or that he knew everything. However, more than most he was willing to answer questions and share his knowlege.
That is absolutely right. Oftentimes when a technical discussion was going on in Vintage, I'd send him a pm and ask him to comment. It usually didn't take more than a few minutes for him to add his knowledge. I'm sure that there were times that there were other answers, but he was always willing to give a helping hand, and if not solve the problem, at least point you in a direction.

I don't think the issue is one of how many jackels is one xviper worth, I think it is more an issue of how badly he will be missed and why this happened.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Oct 5 2006, 06:44 PM
.....Nobody forced xv to leave; he just lost it. I'm really bummed out that this was his decision, but so be it. The other trolls who jumped in and said nasty things just fueled the flames.....

I haven't followed this latest but have met Dave at Fall Colors; listened to his toastmaster stories; and received his advice many times....both in threads and via PM.

I'm sad to see him go, but hope to look him up in Calgary sometime
Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Oct 5 2006, 08:35 PM
Some time back I compared communities such as S2KI to Kurt Vonnegut's invented concept of "granfalloons", artificial clubs or associations built around arbitrary things (in this case, a car).
Now that's a perspective that I can agree with. Thanks for contributing that view. BTW, Vonnegut is my favorite author
Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Oct 5 2006, 06:36 PM] Look, I respect what you are saying about people paying for the artwork.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Oct 5 2006, 09:16 PM
I agree that this whole thing has been unfortunate.

I apologize if I came off a bit short in my "pissed" response. You don't know what it's like to be painted as the bad guy, when 95% of the people out there jump to false conclusions and don't know the whole story, or where you're coming from.

^^Probably how xviper felt too, eh? Ironic.

The more I learn of the way of the world, the more I long for a better one.

We all do, but the problem is that this is the one we've got and we better learn how to live with it.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 513 Likes on 305 Posts

Count me amongst the members that have had the pleasure of both meeting Dave at FCT03 as well as relying on his expertise.

I will miss him dearly.

I hope that he will reconsider his decision (after taking a break) If he is lurking. Dave, please know that you will always be welcome in the Vintage Forum,

Best regards,
Matt
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Dave is a great guy. I talked with him on the forum often and then I met him at FC 03. We spent hours together talking that weekend. We had much in common and I found him to be a gentleman.

Dave's "how tos" are wonderful. Mike commented above that while others have the same knowlege, Dave is willing to share it. That is true, but it goes further. Dave has the ability and willingness to share the knowlege well. The time he took to integrate photos into clearly written descriptions of the process under discussion showed that he really cared about his audience.

His departure really wasn't sudden and it didn't happen all at once. We were loosing him in pieces over time. I came to the party late in 2002. By then Dave was already one of the formost authorities on the car and its maintenance, modification and quirks. At that time he was more patient. He would discuss issues at length and debate points with those who disagreed with him.

I don't know which came first, but I did notice that newer people were just disrespectful in general and unwilling to do even minimal research before asking a question that had been asked and answered a dozen times before. And I noticed that Dave became less patient. I don't write this to try to explain or to excuse any "flaming" on Dave's part. But I do understand it. Some days are very hard here, and Vintage is easy compared to some of the other forums.

I could go on and write an answer to almost every post that has been written in this thread. Many of my responses would be counterproductive, so why add fuel to the fire. If you are a new person, I just want to say that the rest of us do not mean to exclude you or keep to our own cliques. I'm sure it appears that way to you, but just give it time. Everyone can make a place or themselves here.

If Honda stopped making the S2000 tomorrow, this site, or one like it, would continue long into the future. There are some very active sites on the internet formed around cars that were out-of-production-antiques before the internet was even invented.

I hope Dave comes back, but I do not think he will any time soon. I cannot stop Dave's detractors from posting negative comments about him here in Vintage. But I will say that they really should. They will never convince any of us who knew him that we should think less of him. But they may convince us to think less of them. We've all had our chance to say our piece. Let's just let it go now.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny, but the first time you get asked how to do something you feel pleased to share. The second time, not quite so much. The third time, a little less. Etc. By the 15th time you get really tired of answering that question -- most especially if it is clear people didn't even bother to try and solve it themselves using the resources that are clearly available.

So you get more crotchety.

Burnout is a definite occupational hazard.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Mike, I am not disagreeing with you. I have watched Dave get a bit more cranky over time as he is asked the same questions over and over again. Yet I and many others have asked him questions over the years that he has answered many times before, and he always responded with a courteous and knowledgable answer.

Bill, I'm not disagreeing with you either. I have seen the nonsense that goes on in the other forums, even some that goes on here, and I know that it wore on Dave. Here he is offering a weath of knowledge only to be treated like a bag of garbage. Still, I've also seen him reply in a way that takes care of the noise.

I can't help but think it was more. Sometimes the wrong word at the wrong time is all it takes. I know that's happened to me and I'm sure it's happened to many people. Someone says the wrong thing, perhaps something that anyone would have shrugged of on any other night, and it triggers the kind of reaction we saw. Once that happens, things snowball, and we end up here.

Be very careful with your words.

Quick Reply: xviper has left the building