S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

xviper has left the building

Old 10-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

censorship occuring on this board now, don't let it happen, bring back the xviper threads.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by NATURAL JOCK,Oct 5 2006, 05:39 PM
I was going to post this under "Petition for XVIPER to come back." I don't know what happened to that thread when I hit the "add reply" button. That thread just suddenly vanished! Anyhow, I like Xviper even though I haven't met him. I like his personality. He tells it like it. Some might think he has no tack, but I like his honesty and his intelligence.

I have not thanked him personally for his unselfish contribution to this site. We should all be grateful for his knowledge and wisdom. I know I am.

PS.

To those who simply can't refrain from "name calling," I suggest you guys grow up! I've read recent various thread about "Xviper." Some of you are so freakin' infantile. Using words such as "faggots, gay ass and other racist remarks" are so freakin' immature. Do you honestly feel good about yourself whenever you use these words? Do you honestly think that by using these words make you sound intelligent and important? We really need to be a little bit more tolerant and respectful of others. There's enough hatred in this world. Let's not bring hatred in this site.
Haha, Canadian E-Thug, get the #### outta here with that.

What about this one????
Mods should do their job,and ban those#######;XV did'nt leave,because of silly sig.,it's the attitude in general,that has changed.
I agree,this board had changed. It is no longer a community as it once was, This board overall seems more concerned with making money, than being a community.
Getting to be more and more like HondaTech.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy,Oct 5 2006, 04:10 PM
This is not meant as a flame.

You turned out to be the straw, why, because perhaps he felt you didn't want to give to the community.
If he felt that way, he couldn't be more wrong about me. Read my post above. This all started BECAUSE I was trying to give back to the community .
Old 10-05-2006, 03:41 PM

Awwight -

I'm done with this thread. I've got folks coming in here tomorrow that I know are part of the community. I've got to get up early tomorrow, take the dogs for a bath and grooming, cut the yard, prep the entrees and the smoker, pick up the dogs, and be ready when everyone shows up.

I got no problem with any of that.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Oct 5 2006, 07:22 PM
Haha, Canadian E-Thug, get the #### outta here with that.

What about this one????
Mods should do their job,and ban those#######;XV did'nt leave,because of silly sig.,it's the attitude in general,that has changed.
I agree,this board had changed. It is no longer a community as it once was, This board overall seems more concerned with making money, than being a community.
Getting to be more and more like HondaTech.
Emil,

Moderators cannot ban people. People get banned by the site administrators after some extensive discussions about bad behavior, etc. There's been no time to "clean up" after this mess, and perhaps a few people do deserve to be banned for it.

The community here is only what we make of it. I can assure you that being a moderator or community organizer is a thankless job. We don't get paid for it, and we try to judiciously "police" only where needed. It's not easy; trust me.

Nobody forced xv to leave; he just lost it. I'm really bummed out that this was his decision, but so be it. The other trolls who jumped in and said nasty things just fueled the flames.

Anyway, best wishes.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Chaz -- More at S2K Talk on the threads. But here, I'd like to jump off this comment you made:

People get banned by the site administrators after some extensive discussions about bad behavior, etc.
And I expect that the discussion on the Mods-only board (or whatever it's called) has been interesting today.

In some ways this whole episode speaks directly to the character of the users of S2KI and, indeed, S2KI itself. Last summer (or maybe spring), there was quite a bit of discussion related to what became a de-facto fund-raising drive, so that new servers could be obtained. (And they were and it helped, by the way.) That included some rancor as well, including lots of arguing about restricting the site to paid members only and so on.

I think, though, that this latest episode shows that by trying to attract a large membership (in the hope that more guests will become paid members, I suppose), and by doing that with individual forums catering to such a wide variety of "tastes", S2KI has become a case where quantity has trumped quality to such a degree that very valuable people are leaving. How many casual, snotty guests is Dave worth, anyway?

Now, it's probable that none of this is truly new -- the Vintage forum, after all, seems to have been created specifically to have a pseudo-safe place to be sheltered from all the strangeness elsewhere on S2KI. But as we're seeing hints of quite recently, this is largely an illusion. If some group of vandals decides to click their way over here and trash all of our threads, all that Lainey and LB can do is work themselves silly trying to keep up with the housecleaning. And, as you know, that's not what Mods and COs sign up for.

How to change for the better? One approach would be to make S2KI generally a place that isn't so friendly to the crowd that's sent it downhill. The "Street Encounters" forum is an example. Would you want your granddaughter to date those guys? Does it really add value to this site?

And, to bring this full circle to the quote I used, maybe "extensive discussions about bad behavior" aren't really necessary. Hell, if "extensive discussions" are even needed or just happening, maybe that's a signal that action is appropriate. HPH
Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Dave,

Don't let the noise and the nonsense beat you. Stay with us. You have a home in the Vintage forum. We appreciate and respect you.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodbye Dave,

It sounds like this time you really mean it. The first time, it took a number of us to persuade you to come back.....and you did. This time, I feel it's pointless to try to talk it out. We will all miss you.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Oct 5 2006, 06:22 PM
If he felt that way, he couldn't be more wrong about me. Read my post above. This all started BECAUSE I was trying to give back to the community .
I certainly do not know if that is how he felt. That is a general feeling from a lot of the folks that have been around. And, again, this is not directed at you personally, but it is just a feeling that I have heard from others with respect to the board in general.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Just a reminder that this thread is in the Vintage Forum, so be sure to keep your remarks civil. We Vintage folks don't take kindly to bad language and lack of respect. Thanks.

Quick Reply: xviper has left the building