S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

xviper has left the building

Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frank b,Oct 5 2006, 06:31 AM
This place, like many others, seems to be accumulating many more "e-thugs" lately.
Unfortunately xv was one of them. I won't deny that he contributed a lot of valuable knowledge to the forum. But his politeness stopped as soon as you disagreed with him or were unlucky enough to actually be wrong about something. Once that happened he turned into an abusive bully.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Yes, those are scattered over several forums ... and on both sides of the fence. It's almost taken on the whole religion and/or politics fervor between the polarized sides here, neither of which areas does one party often convince another to change their mindset.

If this doesn't settle down soon, it could have a detrimental effect on the entire S2Ki community ... and that would be very sad indeed.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 AM

I'm sorry I saw the post and thought I could reply, I
Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Hmm. Maybe I'll revise my thoughts on decorum and Vintage. We've already had the avatar discussion, and because those can be turned off it's possible simply to avoid obnixious ones. And the "Ignore" button is still quite useful.

I've always been amazed at how people can join a new group of some kind and act as if they own the place immediately. It just seems so much more natural to listen carefully, from the sidelines more or less, until you get acclimated, learn the lay of the land.

That was my approach here, and (back on topic) through it I quickly learned that Dave is both a senior guru and something of a prickly personality. Inside the prickles, though, is a marvelous sense of humor, as Frank noted. I fear that Dave and I teamed up several times to pile on folks with dumb questions because of it. I think they figured out we were laughing with them, at least. Duct Tape! HPH
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Most of the membership has had some occasion to "chat" with Xviper. I read thread after thread trying to find answers to certain questions I had about my 01 as there were five occasions that things needed to be done to my car (at Honda's expense) and X was kind enough to very nicely send me a pm explaining how each thing needed to be done and what the outcome would be after a pm plea from me. He endlessly explained the different types of alignment I could have done to my car, the footprint of the tire sizes I needed and on and on. Each time he painstakingly sent me a pm with full details. NOT ONCE was he crusty, salty or rude to me. I've read lots of posts where he asserted himself, but figured he knew what he was doing. There've been times I've wanted to be a little more assertive, but didn't. I've been around for quite some time and quite often some folks come on board with their post-tongues in motion without the post-brain being operative.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Oct 5 2006, 07:43 AM
I feel he over reacted in this particular incident probably due to his already "frail state" bout S2ki.
That would be my opinion too, but it's not my call. If Dave wants to go, he wants to go. In some ways this felt like he subconsciously needed to manufacture an excuse to go.

I don't think the underlying issue was really the copyright thing, I think it was that he felt like he was being piled on by a bunch of newbies.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Traveler,Oct 5 2006, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately xv was one of them. I won't deny that he contributed a lot of valuable knowledge to the forum. But his politeness stopped as soon as you disagreed with him or were unlucky enough to actually be wrong about something. Once that happened he turned into an abusive bully.
Generally he reserved his sarcasm for people who claimed knowlege they didn't actually have. If you didn't know something, you didn't get flamed for it unless it was a really blatent case of ignoring all FAQs, manuals, and common sense.

On the other hand, if you answered somebody's question with the wrong answer, giving them incorrect advice, you might get pounded.

IMO, having an "enforcer" or two in a forum makes it a less pleasant but more useful place to be. The UTH forum is perfect for that, as opposed to a less technical forum like this one.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 5 2006, 03:26 PM
IMO, having an "enforcer" or two in a forum makes it a less pleasant but more useful place to be. The UTH forum is perfect for that, as opposed to a less technical forum like this one.
and El Rey friend.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Oct 5 2006, 02:59 PM
I've always been amazed at how people can join a new group of some kind and act as if they own the place immediately. It just seems so much more natural to listen carefully, from the sidelines more or less, until you get acclimated, learn the lay of the land.
Doc ... hope my comments today did not offend ... just been one of those philosophical modes this afternoon.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 PM

^^ Not you, my friend, not you.

In fact, I'm not one, generally speaking, to get offended by stuff on forums like this. Surprised, yes, and ambushed occasionally. But I've found it's a useful way to grow a thicker skin -- and who couldn't use that?

I do find a lot of stuff tacky though. It's surprising that someone (over on that other forum) refers to Dave's "Forum Jackass" nickname as "Tacky" while sporting a truly tasteless avater himself, for example.

It's truly ironic that this whole blow-up started over some cleverly done little S2000 drawings for signatures. Those are not tacky, after all. HPH

Quick Reply: xviper has left the building