S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

xviper has left the building

Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's amazing about this is that it happened in almost the blink of an eye. The first post (about the signature pictures, or whatever that was about) was yesterday just after midnight, and the rest all accumulated in the meantime. This contrasts with over 5 1/2 years (and >38K posts!) of consistent insight.

I browse several different car forums now -- they've tended to acculumate over time as I've changed cars. Each has someone who's the "senior guru." Some of them have pretty draconian rules about decorum.

What this all shows is that senior gurus and lack of decorum don't co-exist well. Of course, fixing the decorum thing would be a huge burden to the moderators, because the culture here (not Vintage; the rest of S2KI) is so free-wheeling.

But it looks like it might be too late to fix the senior guru thing. Bummer. HPH
Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 AM

No he hasn't!

Fltsfshr:
I
Old 10-05-2006, 10:03 AM

He was a very patient man, especially when it came to dumb questions (mostly asked my me) and he was never too busy to respond when called upon. Here's hoping he's addicted to this S2K crackpipe and wont' be able to stay away from it for too long like the rest of us. Just needs a break?!?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

The thing that bothers me is he left unhappy and out of all the people I've come in contact with here I owe him the most.

He literally saved me thousands of dollars over the years in the modification an maintenance on my S2000.

I never met him personally, but I'd sure chip in on a case of his favorite Canadian whiskey and a thank you note wishing him well.

Anyone else feel that way?

fltsfshr
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Will, many here feel XViper did much to assist others.

I can appreciate that you may not feel the same, but your reply may be more suited to the S2000 talk forum than Vintage.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Oct 5 2006, 02:05 PM
The thing that bothers me is he left unhappy and out of all the people I've come in contact with here I owe him the most.

He literally saved me thousands of dollars over the years in the modification an maintenance on my S2000.

I never met him personally, but I'd sure chip in on a case of his favorite Canadian whiskey and a thank you note wishing him well.

fltsfshr
Yes...I've seen him three times at meets and consider him a friend. We hung out a bit at the s2ki headquarters meet in CA. He even told me he was trying to get back here to one of our Vintage meets but couldn't get the time off. So we may be able to persuade him another time, if he keeps in touch. I PM'ed him - not sure he will read those, either. To be determined...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Oct 5 2006, 02:05 PM

fltsfshr
Count me in. I'm considering making a pilgrimmage up to Calgary.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I printed and kept many of the pms he patiently sent to me explaining all sorts of things regarding my 01 when I was stupid newbie (now I'm just a silly oldie). The forums he moderated are full of ridiculous tough flamethrowers and I'm surprised he was able to contain himself this long. He was the guest speaker at my first Fall Colors and he was totally HILARIOUS and simply wonderful. I'll miss him terribly and hope that he will make it to one of our meets. I'd love to thank him in person for all that he did for me. I truly hope he'll continue to hang around since he certainly made the ownership of my first S2000 incredibly more enjoyable and I'm sure that's the reason I bought a second one.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:19 AM

After reading some of the exchanges, it looks like once the name calling started, it was a lose-lose situation for all involved.

I heard a comic yesterday talking about his marriage, saying that as long as he didn't say anything in an argument, things went ok ... but if he did make a comment, the argument would divert for 30 minutes over what he said. He learned, from this, that there was a difference between what he said, and what she heard him say (I can also attest to that syndrome), and if he sees her make "that face", he asks her what she just heard him say. The punchline was "ok, I can live with that ... maybe I can still make the tee time ... lol.

It seems that most folks in this vintage group understand that often, little things blow up into big things when the communication is not clear, or if one party just doesn't want to hear what the other has to say. Once it hits the he said / she said roadblock, continued conversation at will rarely yield positive results, and more often quite detrimental results. From comments made when I first found the Vintage group, it seems the same has happened here, but you guys (& gals) have found a way to keep the peace amongst yourselves and hold the large extended family together. I find this an admirable quality in a group with whom I choose to associate.

Shortly after I purchased my S, I read a number of things that XV posted, and while some of it was way over my head, it still provided me with a great orientation to a vehicle that I expect to drive daily for many years to come. I too am sorry to lose access to his knowledge, and hopefully, after things cool down a bit, everyone involved can tie on a longer fuse and hang out with the family, even if they don't talk to each other.

Having to be "right" all the time can end up costing a lot in the long run.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

The latest:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=428131&st=0

Quick Reply: xviper has left the building