S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

xviper has left the building

Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xviper will be missed... one of the best posters and the most patient....
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Dave, or someone posted over in S2KCA and ask " What would it take to be the forum jackass" ...... hmmmm i have my doubts if that was actually him.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

maybe he thought that was s2k canada.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 PM

The search function on this site is bad, but it still does the job. I have answered 90% of my questions and queries through browsing (lurking) and through the "broken" search function.

X took it upon himself to help and did a wonderful job. I've used his DIY and FAQs numerous times. However I joined these forums late, and my first impression of him was that he had a big chip on his shoulder. And I can understand why.

Unfortunately he let it affect him and it marred my perception of him. I'm sure he was a nice guy and it was evident the impact he had on this site, but I cannot excuse irrational outbursts and hot tempers.

I think DB8 could have said some things differently, but ultimately he wanted his work to be respected, just like X wanted respect from the incomming relentless noob horde.

Additionally, there are a lot of unfair and misguided thought of what DB8 was doing with those sigs, and yes they are Honda's images, and yes they are posted on the internet, but to simplify the, very interesting, copyright situation to those remarks and a couple of animated gifs, (that are highly inflamatory) is very childish and unreasonable.

Lastly, however, I'd like to see X come back a stronger person. IMO he's done enough good and shouldn't feel the need to answer everyone's questions.

As an educator seeing ignorance hurts, and you can't solve it all. But you keep on going one day at a time; you adapt and pursue,and most importantly you don't give up.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,Oct 6 2006, 02:53 PM
Additionally, there are a lot of unfair and misguided thought of what DB8 was doing with those sigs, and yes they are Honda's images
No they aren't. He drew them.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 6 2006, 02:09 PM
No they aren't. He drew them.
I know he drew them, but what I meant was, its basis is from Honda's inital design.

I should have phrased it better. I was mainly echoing (mocking) the counterpoints to DB8s drawings.

But this is what I mean. A dialog could have taken place to flesh these ideas out but it never happened.

So are these drawings ok if they don't show any "Honda" logos or "S2000" logos? Is it like music where there is a percentage of "likeness" where upon royalties must be paid, if a song is 30% similar?

I don't want to get too off-topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:32 PM

I would like one of DB8s sigs, but i thought that after the initial offering that this was all, so i left it alone. I thinnk the art work is wonderful and
should not be an issue. If i have to pay for one so be it.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by speed_bump,Oct 6 2006, 04:42 PM
maybe he thought that was s2k canada.
Mabey so.........
Old 10-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,Oct 6 2006, 03:25 PM
I know he drew them, but what I meant was, its basis is from Honda's inital design.
If I go draw a painting of the Statue Of Liberty, I own the copyright on that painting. In fact, if I take a picture of it I own the copyright on that picture. What's the big deal?

Now trademarks are a bit different than copyrights, and even if I paint a picture of the Starbucks logo I'm still restricted in how I can use it, even though I own the copyright on my painting.

Maybe Bill should weigh in on this subject. I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of the law.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 6 2006, 02:58 PM
If I go draw a painting of the Statue Of Liberty, I own the copyright on that painting. In fact, if I take a picture of it I own the copyright on that picture. What's the big deal?

Now trademarks are a bit different than copyrights, and even if I paint a picture of the Starbucks logo I'm still restricted in how I can use it, even though I own the copyright on my painting.

Maybe Bill should weigh in on this subject. I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of the law.
There's no big deal here. I would agree for the most part.

Quick Reply: xviper has left the building