S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: If you were out of work, would you start your own business?
Yes, it might even be my first choice.
38.89%
Yes, but only after I could not find work. See my post below for how long I would look.
0%
Only if i was truly desperate
0%
No. I'd keep looking for a job.
16.67%
No. I'd retire.
11.11%
No. See my post below for what I would do.
5.56%
Not applicable to me because I am out of the work force now.
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Would you start your own business?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 792 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1407454289' post='23277747
[quote name='ralper' timestamp='1407453854' post='23277743']
I think a lot of it depends on your personality. Some of us thrive on the tension, pressure, tumult and excitement of being in your own business, some don't. For those of us who do, there is no substitute.
No tension, pressure, tumult in my business but there is excitement. I'll walk away before I let those things get in the way. I don't need the money so why stress.
Ray, your above comment is key. You don't need the money. You set your own hours and can refuse work if you want. That is great if one is in the position you are in, financially. If it becomes a PIA, you shut it down. It is good that you have those options.

I've been the office mgr/bookkeeper for a small business for over 28 years. I see the headaches a boss can have. Dealing with employees, meeting payroll, paying the bills, looking for work. Some of these things obviously don't apply to a sole proprietorship, but even at that, if one still HAS to earn a living, there is a lot involved in setting up a business. If my job goes out the window, I'll still be in the "looking for a job" camp (would not be happy about it though). I share Red's thought: Working to live vs living to work. I am no where near Rob's line of thinking - thriving on pressure tumult and excitement of being my own boss.
[/quote]Thanks Lainey. If I didn't love it I wouldn't be doing it. Good for 2 people who are retired. My wife is a Herbalife wellness coach and she loves it. We would probably kill each other if we didn't have a little separation.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1407454289' post='23277747
I think a lot of it depends on your personality. Some of us thrive on the tension, pressure, tumult and excitement of being in your own business, some don't. For those of us who do, there is no substitute.
No tension, pressure, tumult in my business but there is excitement. I'll walk away before I let those things get in the way. I don't need the money so why stress.
I am no where near Rob's line of thinking - thriving on pressure tumult and excitement of being my own boss.
[/quote]
Lainey,

I think some if it has to do with what you get used to. I grew up in New York City and started working in the clothing industry at the age of 11. It was a family business. By my late 20s I was in my own business in the men's clothing manufacturing industry. With the possible exception of the ladies garment industry, it doesn't get much more exciting and tumultuous than that. I loved every minute of it. Had my partners not been dishonest I might still be there. All in all, I spent about 30 years in the industry, many of them in my own business. Today I'm a CPA, and while its a nice way to make a living, its nowhere near as exciting or as much fun as the garment business.

I so miss the tumult, pressure and excitement that around Christmas time I visit all of the local malls. Not to buy anything, just to see and feel the action.

I think you have to have a certain type of personality, and perhaps grow up in a family business, or come from a background where being in your own business is valued. Fortunately for me I have all three.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1407515489' post='23278607
[quote name='S2KRAY' timestamp='1407454289' post='23277747']
I am no where near Rob's line of thinking - thriving on pressure tumult and excitement of being my own boss.
[/quote]
Lainey,

I think some if it has to do with what you get used to. I grew up in New York City and started working in the clothing industry at the age of 11. It was a family business. By my late 20s I was in my own business in the men's clothing manufacturing industry. With the possible exception of the ladies garment industry, it doesn't get much more exciting and tumultuous than that. I loved every minute of it. Had my partners not been dishonest I might still be there. All in all, I spent about 30 years in the industry, many of them in my own business. Today I'm a CPA, and while its a nice way to make a living, its nowhere near as exciting or as much fun as the garment business.

I so miss the tumult, pressure and excitement that around Christmas time I visit all of the local malls. Not to buy anything, just to see and feel the action.

I think you have to have a certain type of personality, and perhaps grow up in a family business, or come from a background where being in your own business is valued. Fortunately for me I have all three.
[/quote]

For me, this says it better than I ever could:

I am no lazier now than I was forty years ago, but that is because I reached the limit forty years ago. You can't go beyond possibility.
- Mark Twain in Eruption