S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: If you were out of work, would you start your own business?
Yes, it might even be my first choice.
38.89%
Yes, but only after I could not find work. See my post below for how long I would look.
0%
Only if i was truly desperate
0%
No. I'd keep looking for a job.
16.67%
No. I'd retire.
11.11%
No. See my post below for what I would do.
5.56%
Not applicable to me because I am out of the work force now.
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Would you start your own business?

Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to like to mess with a couple of guys who were constantly extolling the virtues of "being your own boss" by suggesting we take a day off to go fishing. \\

Remember those old TV skits where one actor would switch from one side of the desk/counter to the other, perhaps changing hats, as he played both roles in a conversation. If I had ever gone to work for myself, it would quickly have devolved into one of these skits:

"You can't fire me, I quit."
"You can't quit, I already fired you."
Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,682 Posts

I do love the delusion of being your own boss.
When you have your own company, your customer's are your boss and typically they aren't reluctant about telling you what to do and you'd best listen.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
When you have your own company, your customer's are your boss and typically they aren't reluctant about telling you what to do and you'd best listen.
True, but that's the case whether you work for yourself or for someone else.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

No. I don't have the ambition, drive, or enough talent/skills in any one area to be a business owner.

Not to mention, too many hours are needed, too many headaches.

I also keep in mind something a business associate said to me once. When you are employed, you may work for an A$$hole. When you are self employed you may get the opportunity to work for MANY A$$holes. Nope, no interest.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,533 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
No. I don't have the ambition, drive, or enough talent/skills in any one area to be a business owner.

Not to mention, too many hours are needed, too many headaches.

I also keep in mind something a business associate said to me once. When you are employed, you may work for an A$$hole. When you are self employed you may get the opportunity to work for MANY A$$holes. Nope, no interest.
^Same here. I was married for 23 years to an electrical contractor with his own business. He's a workaholic type and he has to be his own boss. I lack the ambition.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on your personality. Some of us thrive on the tension, pressure, tumult and excitement of being in your own business, some don't. For those of us who do, there is no substitute.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 792 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I think a lot of it depends on your personality. Some of us thrive on the tension, pressure, tumult and excitement of being in your own business, some don't. For those of us who do, there is no substitute.
No tension, pressure, tumult in my business but there is excitement. I'll walk away before I let those things get in the way. I don't need the money so why stress.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Let's not forget the investors...

I do respect those who "live to work" although I myself "work to live."
Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried a business endeavor when I was younger – a little money was made by spending a lot money…and time. In retrospect, I should have joined my older brother who was a tradesman and did well with his electrical contracting firm. I just chose the wrong business venture and client base.

Life is far more pleasurable now that I’m comfortably retired, and it’s unlikely I’ll try a business venture again.

gary

Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1407453854' post='23277743
No tension, pressure, tumult in my business but there is excitement. I'll walk away before I let those things get in the way. I don't need the money so why stress.
Ray, your above comment is key. You don't need the money. You set your own hours and can refuse work if you want. That is great if one is in the position you are in, financially. If it becomes a PIA, you shut it down. It is good that you have those options.

I've been the office mgr/bookkeeper for a small business for over 28 years. I see the headaches a boss can have. Dealing with employees, meeting payroll, paying the bills, looking for work. Some of these things obviously don't apply to a sole proprietorship, but even at that, if one still HAS to earn a living, there is a lot involved in setting up a business. If my job goes out the window, I'll still be in the "looking for a job" camp (would not be happy about it though). I share Red's thought: Working to live vs living to work. I am no where near Rob's line of thinking - thriving on pressure tumult and excitement of being my own boss.

Quick Reply: Would you start your own business?