S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: If you were out of work, would you start your own business?
Yes, it might even be my first choice.
38.89%
Yes, but only after I could not find work. See my post below for how long I would look.
0%
Only if i was truly desperate
0%
No. I'd keep looking for a job.
16.67%
No. I'd retire.
11.11%
No. See my post below for what I would do.
5.56%
Not applicable to me because I am out of the work force now.
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Would you start your own business?

Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Absolutely. Being in your own business is the only way to be.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Absolutely. Being in your own business is the only way to be.
Having done it for 12 years is the basis of our financial security....more than 15 years later.

OTOH, we were very lucky to survive and thrive....as the chance of success in a small biz the first time is no better than 1 out of 6.

Included the ability to "retire" at age 61 and have no need to do it again
Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

I thought about it quite a bit when I retired, but I just decided that it would be too much work at this stage of my life. So I'm working part time from home doing what I used to do - reviewing computer security documents. I like it because of the flexibility and being at home doing it. I think having your own business is a whole lot harder than working for someone else.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I think having your own business is a whole lot harder than working for someone else.
Yes it is, but at the same time it's much more fun and much more rewarding both financially and emotionally. Just don't plan any days off or vacations.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Owning your own buisness seems to fall into 2 categories:
1. Own the buisness but not do much if anything.. the storage units, etc idea. I think of these as the "silent owner"
2. Work for yourself....car detailing, etc. This is what I think of when someone is talking of their "own buisness"
Levi
Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
1. Own the buisness but not do much if anything.. the storage units, etc idea. I think of these as the "silent owner"
2. Work for yourself....car detailing, etc. This is what I think of when someone is talking of their "own buisness"
Levi
Put me down for 'silent owner' if you would.

Had a good friend who had a British car restoration shop and he was the best mechanic I ever knew; in addition, he was a college grad who knew as much about the business world as anyone I ever knew. He closed his business and happy went to work as an 'employee' where he only had one boss instead of every customer that walked in the door that he had to satisfy. Had another friend who had a bar, that I mentioned earlier, he said he would never do it again even tho it was highly successful and he made a great sale when he sold it.

I think it really comes down to the type of business and what it demands in time, in effort, and what the rewards are. Any business that requires employees, is another kettle of fish. Another good friend has had is own construction company for years, is a work-a-holic, and got so big he hated it. He cut back from about 15-20 employees to 3-4 because of the hassle.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Interesting. I might order a man o' war kit. We don't really get the other stuff up here.
The Lionfish has been the runaway best seller. They have overtaken the Caribbean. People are getting nailed all the time. BTW we are coming out with a mosquito after sting gel at the end of next month. Boy scout tested!

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1407259233' post='23274067
http://www.oceancaresolutions.com/
If I were to start all over I would do what a few others have done I know: start a chain of self storage facilities.
Great website; very eye catching. I was just chatting with a friend and former bar owner (imagine that), who bought a large storage facility near a very popular lakeside resort town. He said he wished he had done it years ago and is planning to double the storage ASAP. He said just what you said, it takes care of itself except for a manager.

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Its about 2.5-3.5 to get the thing done, hair, teeth, guts and eyes and then you do the refi.
Thank you for the compliment.

The 2.5-3.5 hair and teeth was the cost in millions, typically in our area, to select the site, plan it, permit it, build it. That is the out the door price at the end of construction ready for the refi into whatever instrument you want to be created and or acquired.

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
If I Was younger,I would move to the States,and become a French language teacher.$$$

Parlez vous Francais ???
Oui. Je pensais à s'installer en France pour être un professeur d'anglais. € € €
Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by NNY S2k' timestamp='1407358025' post='23275976
Levi
Put me down for 'silent owner' if you would.

Had a good friend who had a British car restoration shop and he was the best mechanic I ever knew; in addition, he was a college grad who knew as much about the business world as anyone I ever knew. He closed his business and happy went to work as an 'employee' where he only had one boss instead of every customer that walked in the door that he had to satisfy. Had another friend who had a bar, that I mentioned earlier, he said he would never do it again even tho it was highly successful and he made a great sale when he sold it.

I think it really comes down to the type of business and what it demands in time, in effort, and what the rewards are. Any business that requires employees, is another kettle of fish. Another good friend has had is own construction company for years, is a work-a-holic, and got so big he hated it. He cut back from about 15-20 employees to 3-4 because of the hassle.
Well said
Levi
Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,682 Posts

I have nibbled around the edges a few times but just never had the right technical idea to make it fly.
sadly i think I'm too old and to far removed from the cool tech to make it work.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 792 Likes on 534 Posts

I love my detailing business. I research the best products and processes on the market and apply them. Hard work but it keeps me in great shape plus the satisfaction of transforming some mediocre cars to make them look new again. Great customers and some have become friends. No employees or overhead (Uncles huge garage). He installed lighting, sound system, ceiling fans and shelves for me.
He gets his vehicle detailed for free of course. Been doing it for 6 years and detail about 60 cars/year. Plenty of time for fun stuff at the beach. If you are local make an appointment.

Quick Reply: Would you start your own business?