S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Would you like to be a teenager today?

Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Sep 1 2004, 09:21 PM
I would like to be a teenager today IF, and only IF, I could bring my 40-something knowledge and wisdom with me. Otherwise, fuggetaboutit.
I agree. I enjoyed the 60's of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. It was a great time when the worst you could catch was fixed by a trip to the Dr. and one shot of penicillin.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Sep 2 2004, 08:22 AM
No, I would not. While technology has bought many advances and improved many things, this is a totally different world than the one I grew up in.

While life might appear to be easier now, I had more freedom. I grew up in NYC and remember that I was able to:

1) have my mom put me on a greyhound bus in the front seat from NYC to Md. when I was young and tell the bus driver that I was going to Md. to visit with my aunt.

2) my friends and I got on the subway to go to ballgames (day and night) and didn't worry about crime in the subways.

3) Take walks in the park in the evening and night without being afraid of being mugged.

4) Food wouldn't kill you (ie. e coli and mad cow).

5) Tuna and other fish was safe to eat.

6) I didn't think about terrorism and look suspiciously at people and things.

7) We hung out and talked and did not need chat rooms.

8) We hitchhiked to the beach.

9) We ate as a family most of the time.
Personally, I don't think it's any more dangerous for kids now than it ever was, but the media (particularly the US media) likes to blow everything out of proportion. When I go back to Ireland, kids still play on the street, stay out for hours at a time, and nobody worries about them being snatched.
They travel on trains and buses, go to the city (Dublin), and make it back in one piece.
I think the US media could make anyone paranoid.

The most dangerous thing I see kids doing in my neighborhood is cycling on the wrong side of the road, and that's a lot more dangerous to their health than terrorism/the bogeyman, etc
Old 09-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Sep 2 2004, 11:51 AM
Personally, I don't think it's any more dangerous for kids now than it ever was, but the media (particularly the US media) likes to blow everything out of proportion. When I go back to Ireland, kids still play on the street, stay out for hours at a time, and nobody worries about them being snatched.
They travel on trains and buses, go to the city (Dublin), and make it back in one piece.

The most dangerous thing I see kids doing in my neighborhood is cycling on the wrong side of the road, and that's a lot more dangerous to their health than terrorism/the bogeyman, etc
I respectfully disagree. I do agree that the media blows tragedy out of proportion however, I do have a 16 year-old son and a 17-year-old daughter, and I am much more cautious with what they are allowed to do than my mom and dad had to be with me.

The first thing that comes to mind is driving. Did you know that the number one killer of teenagers is automobile accidents? My daughter has had her driver's license for over a year but I still restrict where and when I will let her drive.

I think the danger to kids depends a lot on where you live and the density of population. We live in a fairly safe small town, but the nearby towns are not as safe. There are gangs and drive-by shootings occasionally. I never even heard of a drive-by shooting when I was a kid.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I'd only go back to 18 or 19...No going back to High School, once was enough. At least todays teens don't have the military draft to worry about.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Sep 2 2004, 01:51 PM

No way is it as safe today as it was when I was a kid. I grew up in NY and I have raised 2 kids. I did not need the media to show or tell me what I saw going on.

Where do you think all of the people that used to be in the psych hospitals that have closed have gone. They live in the streets and are homeless.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:06 PM

No way I'd want to be a teen today!

When I was a teen waaaay back in the 80s:

1. I rode my bike without a safety helmet.
2. I got to play Red Rover and Dodgeball.
3. 80s music was/is better than what they play today.
4. We had Christmas parties and Christmas vacation at school.
5. Reagan was President.
6. I could show up at game time and get great seats for a Braves game.
7. PC hadn't taken hold yet.
8. Toy guns, loaded chicken fingers and plastic knives wouldn't get you expelled from school.
9. There were no speech codes in the schools.

I don't think the opportunities are any better today than they were when I was in high school and college. There are lots more people getting college degrees, which is good, but the value of a BA or BS is not what it used to be. The cost of education (secondary and graduate) is getting higher, yet the quality is not improving. I guess I'm just happy with my life as it is--I don't mind being a child of the 80s.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:37 PM

Member (Premium)

[QUOTE=jmc1971,Sep 2 2004, 03:06 PM] 8. Toy guns, loaded chicken fingers and plastic knives wouldn't get you expelled from school.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:04 PM

I was just taking a pot shot (heh heh) at the irrational zero tolerance policies so many school districts have now. A couple of years ago an elementary school kid pointed a chicken finger (or some equally dangerous food) at a teacher and said, "bang! bang!" He got in trouble under some insane zero tolernace policy re weapons in school.

An honor roll Senior here in my community was expelled from high school because she was using a kitchen/butter knife after school to cut cardboard or styrofoam for a school-related event. She sued and won, thank goodness. Zero tolerance policies leave no room for discretion and that's a dangerous thing, IMO.

I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with this stuff when I was in school. I would have never graduated---I usually have a pocket knife on me!

And anyone who has seen me dance knows they most assuredly would have kicked me out for doing The Chicken...loaded or not.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:08 PM

Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by jmc1971,Sep 2 2004, 04:04 PM
I was just taking a pot shot (heh heh) at the irrational zero tolerance policies so many school districts have now. A couple of years ago an elementary school kid pointed a chicken finger (or some equally dangerous food) at a teacher and said, "bang! bang!" He got in trouble under some insane zero tolernace policy re weapons in school.

An honor roll Senior here in my community was expelled from high school because she was using a kitchen/butter knife after school to cut cardboard or styrofoam for a school-related event. She sued and won, thank goodness. Zero tolerance policies leave no room for discretion and that's a dangerous thing, IMO.

I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with this stuff when I was in school. I would have never graduated---I usually have a pocket knife on me!
Got it. Thought I missed something fun.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Sep 2 2004, 02:43 PM
No way is it as safe today as it was when I was a kid. I grew up in NY and I have raised 2 kids. I did not need the media to show or tell me what I saw going on.

Where do you think all of the people that used to be in the psych hospitals that have closed have gone. They live in the streets and are homeless.
Ok, go read some Harlan Ellison books from the '50s, where he talks about the teenage gangs in Redhook (Brooklyn, I think?).
You had girls cutting each other with razor blades, guys using knives, chains, etc, and all the other graphically nasty stuff they got up to. It just didn't make the papers, or the news.

And as for that zero tolerance crap, I just wince and wonder when the Land of the Free turned into the Land of the Nanny.
This country would still have a Union Jack flying except for guns.

Check this out for some interesting reading...

http://www.lneilsmith.com/lns_lever.html

Quick Reply: Would you like to be a teenager today?