S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The WORST drivers

Old 08-04-2024, 12:21 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

I'd love to take a few of my cars over to the autobahn and let them really stretch out their legs for once.
The following 3 users liked this post by boltonblue:
robb (08-04-2024), valentine (08-05-2024), zeroptzero (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 12:41 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Back in the early 60s my buddy and I took turns driving the autobahn in his brand new Jag XKE. I honestly don't recall how fast it was but I think we often were at 145 mph. What I do remember is having to pull into the slower lane because we were getting pasted. Mercs, probably, but I can't say for sure. When a car is closing on you with their lights on at that speed you are not looking for the badge on the car.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 03:05 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Back in the early 60s my buddy and I took turns driving the autobahn in his brand new Jag XKE. I honestly don't recall how fast it was but I think we often were at 145 mph. What I do remember is having to pull into the slower lane because we were getting pasted. Mercs, probably, but I can't say for sure. When a car is closing on you with their lights on at that speed you are not looking for the badge on the car.
I was there in 85 on business visiting our plant in Putzbruin. Our plant manager took us to dinner and drove us there on the autobahn. He had a Mercedes and was well over a 100mph. He was in the left lane and moved to the right lane when a Porsche flashed his lights and flew by us. The autobahn roads are far superior to ours. No potholes or rough surfaces. And, they don’t need constant repairs like ours do.
Old 08-04-2024, 09:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Colorado gives tickets to left lane hogs. I know this for a fact because my niece's baby daddy got one.

Colorado’s left lane passing law states that any driver traveling on a two or more lane road with a designated speed limit of 65 miles per hour or more must remain in the right lane unless overtaking and passing another vehicle. Additionally, slower-moving vehicles must remain in the right lane allowing other drivers to pass in the left lane. This law is put in place to minimize the risk of accidents and reduce congestion on the highways.

There are some exceptions to this law. For instance, a driver may use the left lane when completing a left turn or entering the highway from the left lane. Additionally, drivers may use the left lane when traffic volume is heavy, or the right lane exits to the right in less than half a mile.

It’s essential to note that violating this law can result in severe penalties in Colorado. A first offense could result in a minimum of $60 in fines and two points on the driver’s license. Repeat offenses can result in higher fines, the suspension of the driver’s license, and even jail time in some cases.

One common misconception about the left lane passing law is that it only applies to drivers going below the speed limit. However, this is not the case. The primary focus of this law is to maintain traffic flow, and all drivers are expected to follow it, even if they are driving at the speed limit or higher.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kyras:
Scooterboy (08-05-2024), valentine (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:49 AM

Received 467 Likes on 333 Posts

^ Makes perfect sense to me. That's the way I understand regarding passing lane. It should be that way in all 50 states. Pass the slow vehicles, and then stay in the right lane so others can pass.
Kyras (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:52 AM

Received 467 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
When I was stationed in Germany, I noticed that also. If a car approaching fast behind you was flashing, it means get out of the way. And it was nothing personal and drivers never took it personal when that happened. It was understood that you would move over. But in the states, many drivers take it personal and turns into road rage, unfortunately.
Kyras (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Honda 367
When I was stationed in Germany, I noticed that also. If a car approaching fast behind you was flashing, it means get out of the way. And it was nothing personal and drivers never took it personal when that happened. It was understood that you would move over. But in the states, many drivers take it personal and turns into road rage, unfortunately.
That is why their accident rate is better than ours.
Old 08-05-2024, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Colorado gives tickets to left lane hogs. I know this for a fact because my niece's baby daddy got one.

Colorado’s left lane passing law states that any driver traveling on a two or more lane road with a designated speed limit of 65 miles per hour or more must remain in the right lane unless overtaking and passing another vehicle. Additionally, slower-moving vehicles must remain in the right lane allowing other drivers to pass in the left lane. This law is put in place to minimize the risk of accidents and reduce congestion on the highways.

There are some exceptions to this law. For instance, a driver may use the left lane when completing a left turn or entering the highway from the left lane. Additionally, drivers may use the left lane when traffic volume is heavy, or the right lane exits to the right in less than half a mile.

It’s essential to note that violating this law can result in severe penalties in Colorado. A first offense could result in a minimum of $60 in fines and two points on the driver’s license. Repeat offenses can result in higher fines, the suspension of the driver’s license, and even jail time in some cases.

One common misconception about the left lane passing law is that it only applies to drivers going below the speed limit. However, this is not the case. The primary focus of this law is to maintain traffic flow, and all drivers are expected to follow it, even if they are driving at the speed limit or higher.
I totally agree with that. In Delaware and when we go to Florida for 2 months it is awful. We call most of them Q tips.. These old farts are clueless. If you see a Cadillac or Lincoln driving in the left lane like a snail it is likely a Q tip
Kyras (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 07:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
The autobahn roads are far superior to ours. No potholes or rough surfaces. And, they don’t need constant repairs like ours do.
Part of the reason they are so good is the 3 ft deep concrete foundation. It goes below frost line so you don't get heaving.
It is very expensive on the front end but lasts significantly longer.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:10 AM
Member (Premium)

And as for left lane dawdlers, they create the dreaded passing on the right and weaving.
As a frequent user of the left lane, I rarely need to move over. If the right lane is open I normally will drop down.
While a somewhat rare event, when someone is faster behind me, I do move over.
What is even more amusing, is when someone is rapidly closing on me. which infers triple digits.
I will definitely get over and allow that rabbit to run.
Kyras (08-05-2024)

Quick Reply: The WORST drivers