S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Wooden Bowl (food for thought)

Old 11-19-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Wooden Bowl (food for thought)

A friend sent me this little story, and I thought you all would enjoy it:

WOODEN BOWL

This will cause you to take stock of your life and attitude.

I guarantee you will remember the tale of the Wooden Bowl tomorrow, a week from now, a month from now, a year from now...

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and
four-year old grandson.

The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered.

The family ate together at the table.

But the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult.

Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor.

When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess.

"We must do something about Grandfather," said the son.

I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating ,and food on the floor.

So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner.

There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner.

Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl.

When the family glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometime he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone.

Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food.

The four-year-old watched it all in silence.

One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly,

"What are you making?"

Just as sweetly, the boy responded,

"Oh, I am making a little wooden bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up."

The four-year-old smiled and went back to work.

The words struck the parents so that they were speechless.

Then tears started to stream down their cheeks.

Though no word was spoken both knew what must be done.

That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table.

For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family.

And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

On a positive note, I've learned that, no matter what happens or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way
he/she handles three things:

A rainy day, lost luggage,and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I've learned that, regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.

I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life."

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's
mitt on both hands.

You need to be able to throw something back.

I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you.

But, if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others, your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.

I've learned that even when I have pains,I don't have to be one.

I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.

Hold their hands, give a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice story but this is something that continues to elude me in life. As much as I subscribe to what this is saying, I personally find it very hard to implement on a daily basis. The same as the old saying, "live today like it might be your last". Makes sense. I try to do it. But, alas, I get covered in the shit of the day.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM

My dear buddy Ohio, get yourself a big pooper scooper, scrape that stuff off, put it in a bag labeled forgetfulness, dump it and get on with what's really important. I've admired what you've done in other threads so don't let the little or big piles steal your joy. There's always some of that stuff lurking around the corner and you can't avoid it all, just keep that scooper handy, and build up your scraping arm. And don't forget that sometimes you need someone to help you scrape the places you can't reach (like your back).

The S is my favorite scooper, rolling with the top down (or up) is how I scrape mine off. Hang, buddy, hang! Or should that be scrape buddy, scrape!?

Nice story, Red.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM

That's why you have to read these once in awhile, to get focused back on the "trying" part (at least that's my viewpoint, since I, too, get caught up in my own SOTD).
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 AM

All good advice. I know it, just can't implement it. I wish I were one of those people who can just let stuff roll off thier back and go with the flow. But, I can't. I put alot of faith in certain institutions, country, church, marriage, etc. And when one of them lets me down, well...

The good news is, me and #2 son are leaving for the beach Saturday (assuming my doctors appt. Friday doesn't present any surprises) and I will drop my drawers as I drive south so that everyone I leave behind can kiss my white ass. How's that for an attitude problem?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:25 AM

Ohio,

Put your pants back on, take off the catcher's mits, stand up straight and take control! Put your faith in yourself, not institutions.

It sounds like you need to begin a self-help program. Pick a measurable goal to accomplish that is very personal to you and a specific date to achieve it by. The goal should involve giving of yourself.

Here's what I mean.

I challenge you to become a Red Cross Volunteer NEXT week. They have so many different types of volunteer opportunities that I promise you, you'll find something that's just right for you. Being in control of giving yourself will bring you a noble purpose in life.

All you have to do is take that first step and the rest of the "giving" journey will be shown to you.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 AM

Btw, I'm a Red Cross volunteer. I'm on call at night eight weeks a year to render aid to families who are victims of residential fires. The Red Cross trained me in CPR, Sheltering, First Aid, Damage Assessment and other areas for free.

Lots of fun and very rewarding.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having a bad day before reading this and I"m having one now still.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyBad
Ohio,

Put your pants back on, take off the catcher's mits, stand up straight and take control! Put your faith in yourself, not institutions.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by s2000raj
I was having a bad day before reading this and I"m having one now still.
raj,

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to toss my wet blanket all over everyone else. But you do provide a convenient place to vent.

Quick Reply: The Wooden Bowl (food for thought)