S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

windows windows windows...

Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,659 Posts
Default windows windows windows...

no not windows 7 or Xp but the kind with glass in them.

I hate my windows. They are crap and cost me a fortune in heat.
I'm beginning the process of getting smarter about what's out there.
The existing windows were manufactured by a company called RIVCO which fortunately/unfortunately has gone out of business.
Fortunate in that they got what they deserve, unfortunate in that parts are now in limited supply.
This is an issue becuase their sashes tended to fail.

So what's out their for windows, both as replacement inserts and full replacements?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Jerry, I have a similar problem with an out of business window maker. The problem with mine is that the sills tend to rot out. I'm not replacing with anything but big name companies like Anderson, Pella or Harvey. I don't want to get into researching every little company. I might find one that makes the most energy efficient window, but that will cost a premium that I will probably not live here long enough to recover. Plus, small companies tend to go out of business or get acquired by big companies and you end up right back where you are today. I think if you go with a well known name brand, when you go to sell your house prospective buyers will recognize the name and that is what you want.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

One other thought, inserts are less expensive, but if you are losing heat throgh the joint between the existing window frame and the rough frame, the inserts will not cure that problem. A good installation is just as inportant as the quality of the window. Make sure that whoever does it is going to take the time to pack the gaps with insulation.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,659 Posts

I'm not thinking inserts for the two reasons you mentioned.
The wood they used for making the windows was crap so the sills and frames have wood rot issues.
The original installation was less than ideal as well so air leaks are not uncommon around the windows along with crappy sashes.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,751 Posts

Haven't had to install windows in quite some time, but when I did, I went with Andersen or Pella. Worth the expense, IMO.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I recently had replacements installed. Fortunately, the original sashes were in great shape. The seals were blown and the hardware sucked on the originals. I went with Marvin Fiberglass and I am very happy. Installers were great too. Did a nice job insulating and trimming out the old frames with aluminum.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

We went with Pella. Their sash windows have proved to be beasts to lock, it take the two of us. One to push the window up on the outside of the house and the other to lock them on the inside. If we had a two storey house I don't know what we would do. We had Pella back three times but they couldn't solve their own problem.
The casements, ones which open and close with a crank, are wonderful.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We replaced all of ours 2 years ago with Maine built Paradigms. http://www.paradigmwindows.com/

So far 2 years later I have nothing but praise for them.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope that I never have to replace ours. We have 22 window's.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We had every window in the house replaced this summer with Harvey Vicon Classic windows. We knew we had a window problem when we bought the house [just a year ago] so it was not a surprise that we had to do this.

We considered Anderson and Harvey windows and decided on Harvey based on the recommendations of a couple of people and contractors.

Because of the way the house was built and the rotten [no pun intended] condition of many of the sills and exterior trim we got new construction, argon filled vinyl windows and all new vinyl or composite exterior sills and trim and wood interior sills and trim. The contractor assured me that no exterior window sill or trim will ever rot again.

And we had an excellent contractor. Unlike the original windows these are correctly installed and are properly insulated......we are very happy with them.

We also had all the doors and door frames replaced.....but that's another story.

Quick Reply: windows windows windows...