S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Wild ride at 90 mph+

Old Today, 03:34 PM

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Glad you are O.K. Dave! I heard a story on the radio last week about a young man who was in a newer car that did the same thing and he tried shutting off the engine, changing gears, putting on the parking brake and none of it would work they said that it is due to all the computers either working or not working together and apparently it has happened a few other times with new cars. Luckily for this young man the police came along and pulled in front of him and had him hit the rear of the cruiser and they slowed him down that way. Sounds like an episode of the old tv show CHIPS.
Whenever I hear of the stories where people drive several miles at ridiculous speeds with the car "out of control" , I just think it must be crazy. Like it could never happen to me - just slam the car into neutral and shut off the engine. But then I think of people like my son with zero mechanical knowledge or not a lot of street smarts or experience, and I think yeah maybe it could happen to some people lol. But what a wild scene that would be. Back in the Toyota and Audi unintended acceleration days the cars weren't that smart, they still had conventional ignitions and trannies, so it all sounded baffling to me.

Last edited by zeroptzero; Today at 04:12 PM.
Old Today, 03:50 PM

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Joey, if my memory is right (not always good these days) you spent time playing boy racer on a race track. The way a person handles a situation depends to a large extent on muscle memory. It's reacting correctly without thinking about it. If you have to think about it (ie. correcting a slide) it's often too late. When something totally unplanned for and never thought about before happens such as happened to me I find you're it's so simple explanation is not as matter of fact as you make it sound. And that's why I wanted to share it.

I too recall the Audi in the pool stories.

Last edited by dlq04; Today at 03:53 PM.
Old Today, 03:52 PM

Received 4,293 Likes on 3,336 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Whenever I hear of the stories where people drive several miles at ridiculous speeds with the car "out of control" , I just think it must be crazy. Like it could never happen to me - just slam the car into neutral and shut of the engine. But then I think of people my son with zero mechanical knowledge or street smarts, and I think yeah maybe it could happen to some people lol. But what a wild scene that would be. Back in the Toyota and Audi unintended acceleration days the cars weren't that smart, they still had conventional ignitions and trannies, so it all sounded baffling to me.
It’s because we are ‘car people’
so we have an idea of what to do. A lot of people aren’t and also a lot of people can’t drive for s#*t on a good day lol! I can always tell when I get in a vehicle with someone driving when they are not the best driver just by the way they handle the controls.
Old Today, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by robb
It’s because we are ‘car people’
so we have an idea of what to do. A lot of people aren’t and also a lot of people can’t drive for s#*t on a good day lol! I can always tell when I get in a vehicle with someone driving when they are not the best driver just by the way they handle the controls.
I guess you have to walk a mile in "their shoes" to really know. I just had an fella drive through our commercial garage door last week at one property, he hit the gas pedal instead of the brake, a $10,000 mistake for him.
Old Today, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Joey, if my memory is right (not always good these days) you spent time playing boy racer on a race track. The way a person handles a situation depends to a large extent on muscle memory. It's reacting correctly without thinking about it. If you have to think about it (ie. correcting a slide) it's often too late. When something totally unplanned for and never thought about before happens such as happened to me I find you're it's so simple explanation is not as matter of fact as you make it sound. And that's why I wanted to share it.

I too recall the Audi in the pool stories.
Perhaps some of my track driving helped a bit, but I have probably driven to several millions of miles in my years in all kinds of weather. Northern drivers who drive in bad winter conditions learn pretty quick. I know in winter when I hit black ice my instincts kick in pretty quick, and I usually do pretty good at saving the vehicle while others around me end up in ditches.

You seemed to handle the situation pretty good Dave, I wasn't referring to you in my reply, but more the people who make the news and report driving many miles at WOT, and requiring other vehicles to slow them down.

Old Today, 06:31 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Being a geek...
there was a post mortem and statistical analysis done of the AUDI stories.
I'm paraphrasing from memory, so my precise details may be off.
In short, all drivers were short, under 5'6" as such had the seats well forward.
Virtually all drivers were new to the vehicle when they crashed.
a significant percentage had been conquest sales from GM. as you may recall GM had the weirdly offset gas and brake pedals relative to driver position.

In short drivers unaccustomed to the ergonomics moved their seats well forward and couldn't accurately find the correct pedals.
Old Today, 08:12 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Dave, !