S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Wild ride at 90 mph+

Old Today, 10:04 AM

Received 4,291 Likes on 3,334 Posts

Glad you are O.K. Dave! I heard a story on the radio last week about a young man who was in a newer car that did the same thing and he tried shutting off the engine, changing gears, putting on the parking brake and none of it would work they said that it is due to all the computers either working or not working together and apparently it has happened a few other times with new cars. Luckily for this young man the police came along and pulled in front of him and had him hit the rear of the cruiser and they slowed him down that way. Sounds like an episode of the old tv show CHIPS.
Old Today, 10:54 AM

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Glad you are O.K. Dave! I heard a story on the radio last week about a young man who was in a newer car that did the same thing and he tried shutting off the engine, changing gears, putting on the parking brake and none of it would work they said that it is due to all the computers either working or not working together and apparently it has happened a few other times with new cars. Luckily for this young man the police came along and pulled in front of him and had him hit the rear of the cruiser and they slowed him down that way. Sounds like an episode of the old tv show CHIPS.
There have also been tons of people that have outright lied about these things. Huge numbers of them when the whole Toyota thing came out and literally no proof I ever read that any of them were verified to be an actual issue with the car. That also went to the point of a guy who exited an offramp at over 80mph, hit a family of 4 and killed people getting out of jail early because that Toyota thing came out and he had been driving a Toyota .... a 1996 Toyota that could not possibly had the issues they were stating (and had already been tested to find the throttle was in working order even after the crash). So some of these claims get a life of their own up to even the highest levels!

Oh and there was the Prius dude who claimed it happened, had to be stopped by the police as you say .. and later the police said that was not true, he stopped the car himself. Had also been trying to sue people for all sorts of things, and trying to get out of paying for his Prius lol.

Not saying with all the moronic stuff on cars today it cant happen though. The electronically controlled parking brake is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen on a car for example.
Old Today, 11:05 AM

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
He was in his F150, not the MG.
ah thanks, I missed that part of it as I seen that he was attending an MG meet, but yes I see now it was his truck.
Old Today, 11:36 AM

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,107 Posts

ah crap, I missed it more and thought he was in his s2000 lol

Shops that wont work on anything before a 2005?? That is nuts!
Old Today, 11:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,003 Likes on 519 Posts

Glad to hear your safe Dave. Unbelievable, Lucky, all of it. Whew!
Old Today, 11:44 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Glad you are ok Dave.
Old Today, 01:02 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
That's one of the multitude of issues that pop up with older vehicles.
Technically not really complex but really annoying.
I think I would have followed your path of neutral and gotten it to the side of he side.

I had a weird case while driving a rental jeep. It got bumped into neutral from drive.
While moving the transmission would not go back into drive until I stopped and restarted.
So we had the fun of navigating traffic on the Denver 470 loop from the left lane over to the breakdown lane while coasting.
Easier said than done. The sound of the engine free revving just added to the chaos. Had I been in the MG the key would have likely been my first thought but in the truck it is totally out of sight on the steering column.