S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Who else is losing their hearing

Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default Who else is losing their hearing

I've been concerned about my wife's hearing for awhile. So last time I saw our family doctor I mentioned it. He wanted to know how bad it was but I really couldn't put a number on it. So he said "Ask her a question and see how close you have to get before she can hear you."

So that afternoon from 20 feet I asked "Hon, what's for dinner?"...nothing. So again from 10 feet "Hon, what's for dinner", and finally from 2 feet..."Hon, what;s for dinner." And she says "Chicken....for the third time."

I know hearing loss isn't the joke some people think it is. But sometimes if you don't laugh you cry. Besides I love that story. I am losing my hearing...I've got that hard-to-understand-conversation-over-background-noise thing. I miss a lot of things people say to me...often I'll just smile and nod. How's everybody else doing?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT??? Speak up, willya? HPH
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

serious subject here:

myself i lost 70-75% of my hearing at age 4

as im now in my middle 40"s im positive it has gotten worse.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

My hearing loss is job related. Spent way too much time around loud noise.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

My husband has a slight hearing loss but it seems to come/go dependent on what he's being asked/told.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

So far, so good.

I know the pharmacist who gives me my Vintage related medicine has been wearing a hearing aid for many years and he's young.......well maybe a year or two older than I.

Hearing loss is difficult for those dealing with it on a first hand level and their loved ones as well.

My mom was VERY stubborn that her hearing was fine. We'd have conversations like this one that my sister related.

Sister: "We need to go pick up Greg."

Mom: "Bread, we don't need bread."

Over and over she was missing parts of the conversation and saying her hearing was fine. She finally agreed to get her hearing checked, it wasn't as bad as we thought, but before long she went again and got hearing aids. Best money ever spent!

Recently, my siblings and I noticed we had difficulty communicating on the phone with her, and in person as well. She kept coming up with excuses, bad phone connection,you talk too fast, etc.

Finally she went to get her hearing checked. She did have a wax buildup in her ears. (gross, but it happens). They flushed it out, checked her hearing and found her hearing has not diminished all that much.

I saw her the other night and I didn't have to repeat myself.

Make an appointment for your wife to get her hearing checked. She'll thank you for it.

Edit: Reading comprehension grade C- today. That speed reading doesn't work for me.

Mike make an appointment to get YOUR hearing checked.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

I think tof discovered that it was his hearing that was bad.

tof
. . . that afternoon from 20 feet I asked "Hon, what's for dinner?"...nothing. So again from 10 feet "Hon, what's for dinner", and finally from 2 feet..."Hon, what;s for dinner." And she says "Chicken....for the third time."
Old 10-04-2008, 04:26 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Oct 4 2008, 08:07 AM
I think tof discovered that it was his hearing that was bad.
Ooops...you're right.

Tof/Mike make an appointment for a hearing check. It could be something very simple.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a fate we are all likely to suffer with time. I know motorcycle helmets did not help me a lot. I am very reluctant to wear ear plugs while riding, which lots of people do.

My wife says though that my hearing is selective. I tell her my hearing loss has mostly to do with the wavelength of her voice, and that of other women for that matter.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

My hearing loss is military related and then complicated by giant evil rock and roll speakers.

Any background noise at all and my hearing's impaired. My left ear is the worst. I have learned to read lips a little bit and that helps.

Higher frequency sounds are the biggest loss. I can't hear a lot of engine noises, like my supercharger whining etc.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Who else is losing their hearing