S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Where were you on 9/11?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Where were you on 9/11?

I remember the day well. I was in my office at the airport in Pittsburgh, when I received a call from my boss, to turn on the television. He had told me that an aircraft had struck the WTC in New York. When I turned on the TV, we watch the second plane approach and eventually strike the 2nd tower. I thought initially that they were playing a rerun of what had happened earlier, but I saw that both towers had been hit and were engulfed in fire and smoke. I left the office and went home. I found my wife working in the garden. She wondered why I was home so early and I told her that terrorist had crashed into the WTC. What a sad day it was. My heart and soul goes out to anyone who lost friends or family on that day.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I was getting my kids's lunch and breakfast ready before their school day. They were watching cartoons and told me about it so I came to see it on TV.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving on my way to work on L.I. Got to the office just after the first tower fell. Went to a local church to pray. Spent the night in a motel room w/ two of my colleagues from the City since they weren't allowing people back in over the bridges.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM

I was still self-employed at the time and trying to find an elusive bug in the main ticket entry screen in a point of sale application while fighting a hangover. My Mom called from her work and told me to turn on the TV which I never did when working from home.

I asked her why and she said "Just turn on ABC". I did and immediately began to wonder how a trained airline pilot could make such an error on a clear day (engine/hydraulic failure) when the plane crashed into the second tower.

That Monday was a week to the day after Barb and I were married. I have no problem remembering our anniversary.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM

^My marketing manager had a meeting scheduled in one of the towers that morning. He was at a nearby coffee shop, when it happened.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM

I took Matt to Dulles airport that morning for a flight to Denver. I thank God his airplane had mechanical problems and he never got off the ground.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM

^We had a troubleshooting team in Los Angeles, California. They had to rent a car and drive back to Pittsburgh. It was strange to look into the sky and not see any aircraft.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I was at home and saw it all on MSNBC. I had the computer on autoplay and all of the televisions in the house on the news channels. I called my husband and son by cellphone (they were on their way to Ft. Bragg to my stepson's house). They pulled over and listened . . . I knew that life as we knew it would never be the same. My wonderful, wonderful, stepson who has been more than a son to me has been flying war missions ever since that day. My husband and I have never been as close as we were that day though we were miles apart. My heart still breaks for all those who lost their lives that day and for all those who've lost their lives since.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,944 Likes on 2,646 Posts

At work in a startup, one of the guys came in and said a plane had hit one of the towers. Our initial thought was a piper that drifted off course.
So one of the guys tried to get the story on cnn.com and then yahoo but the web was whacked adn virtually no traffic could work. it was just to swamped.
so one of the guys went out and got a small radio adn we all huddled around it for a while just listening...

after a while somebody go the clever idea to go to the bar in the holiday inn next door across the parking lot. we spent the next 3 or 4 hours with about 70 of us jammed into this small bar area watching a little 19 inch TV.

After a while the HR person came over and told everybody to go home and be with their families and be home when your kids get there.

it was a very long strange ride home.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was diving with my wife to work - I said how could trained airline pilots run into a building - then said I bet it was a terror attack. When the second plane hit the tower I knew for certain what it was.

Quick Reply: Where were you on 9/11?