S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Where do you think gas prices will finally end up?

Old 05-22-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Costco $2.02 this morning ... $2.06 this afternoon!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ralper

Where do you think prices will end up?
I'm scared to find out! Right now the cheapest you can find premium gas for in So Fla is about $2.14/gal.
I saw one place jump from $1.97/gal to $2.17/gal in one week's time!
Old 05-23-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

World demand for petroleum is increasing rapidly, as countries such as India and China industrialize, acquire automobiles, and their consumers enter the market for various petrochemicals/plastics.

There hasn't been a new refinery built in the U.S. in something like 30 years, due to the political issues in siting one and environmental regulations. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, but it is true.

Long term gasoline prices will continue to climb. They may go back down a little short-term, but get ready for ever-higher prices in the future.

These same forces will cause the price of natural gas (currently the only economically viable source of large amounts of hydrogen) to climb as well. U.S. supplies aren't growing fast enough to keep up with demand, and LNG terminals are faced with the same obstacles as new refineries.

The world's demand for energy is growing rapidly. Barring some breakthrough technology, prices will continue to rise. Of course, eventually natural gas prices will reach a level where solar generation of electricity is price competitive with natural gas-fired generation, but that price level is quite a bit higher than where we're at now.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:18 AM

Only a fool would try to predict gas prices - but here goes

Using your base of 2.03/9 and your expected long term 2.00 to 2.25 - I would expect

Current prices near the high with easing by mid summer and by fall in the 1.60 to 1.80 range.

If the Iraq mess gets any messier then all bets are off.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally posted by sublime
$4 per gallon.
Adjusted for litres to gallons and DM's / Euro's to USD I have been paying about $4.08 a gallon on my trips to Germany since 2000. We have been spoiled for a long time. Europeans will readily point out that the U.S. is roughly ten percent of the world's population and we use fifty percent of the world's energy. I always take the opportunity to remind them that part of it is because we have states the size of their countries.

It is interesting to me how geoghapically challenged most people are (on both sides of the Atlantic). I have had this conversation many times with europeans when explaining why most Americans only speak English. They are surprized to learn that it takes five and a half hours to fly from Washington to LA compared to three hours from Budapest to Brussels (five countries away).

I think that they will peak at $2.98 by the Labor Day weekend.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:30 PM

No doubt it will hit 3 before anyone notices. Then people will start getting pissed. I hope all the Suburban Sodomites an Nauseator Nitwits get some sense.

BTW the only sure and proven way to fix it is to up the C.A.F.E. (corporate average fuel economy) standards, and require the inclusion of all SUVs into that measurement. Do this and then all of the sudden the Saudis will solve the terrorism problem for us. After all we won't really need so much of their oil will we?

But Bush is a just an "good oil boy" so don't count on it. (hey just who are his buddies?) When oil is < $30 bbl its not worth pulling out of the Texas dirt (or most anywhere reserves are controlled by US interests).

Do you think anybody in the US profits from high oil prices? You betcha. Follow the money.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CarsRGood
BTW the only sure and proven way to fix it is to up the C.A.F.E. (corporate average fuel economy) standards, and require the inclusion of all SUVs into that measurement.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matt_inva
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 05-28-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper

Quick Reply: Where do you think gas prices will finally end up?