S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Where do you get your health insurance

Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 3,208 Likes on 1,858 Posts
Thumbs up Where do you get your health insurance

So fewer jobs these days are providing benefits. The part time jobs are out there. These are the jobs that have been created. These are the jobs, some long time unemployed folks have had to settle for.

If you are fortunate enough to have a job with health insurance, and work for small business, chances are you are paying $$$ for a family plan if you need one. If you work for large business or government, you might be dishing out a little less.

Some folks have to decline family plans at their places of employment as they can't afford the cost of the weekly premium. Mc Donald's, one of the country's large employers has received some kind of waiver on meeting the full insurance benefits they provide to their employees. They can still cap the benefits paid out.

The loss of a job with benefits can be financially devastating. Many folks have to decline COBRA as they cannot afford $1500.00+ per month for insurance. One sickness, illness or accident and they are up to their eyeballs in debt.

It's just not pretty out there. How do you and your family members fare in this department?

Edit: This may be a repeat poll, but a LOT has happened in the job market in the last little while.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work for a small company and we still have good benefits. They went cheap one year and our CEO was sent to bill collectors because of how long it took the insurance company to pay. We have gone back to BCBS.

I can relate to COBRA. When I was out of work for 9 months that $1K/mo. was a killer.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM

I'm on Cobra thru my ex at the moment... not sure when that rug gets pulled out from under my feet - it used to be 18 months (which would be June 2011) but I think it may have been extended

I pay $329 for health and dental with MVP and have what I consider pretty great coverage, $25 copay, and $10 RX.

Being engaged, I looked into what it would cost to add me to Tom's plan and it's over $500 a month JUST for me They have no 2 person option, only "family".

He has crappy insurance and I plan to keep mine as long as I can afford to, even if it goes up when Cobra period ends.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

Privately insured. Decent plan that covers most of the stuff I need. I pay about $225 a month for medical and prescription coverage but other than my last year's back injury, I have few health issues. I do have fairly high copays (don't remember offhand what they are) and have a $3500 annual out of pocket. +1 has medicare and supplemental insurance.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Feb 1 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm on Cobra thru my ex at the moment... not sure when that rug gets pulled out from under my feet - it used to be 18 months (which would be June 2011) but I think it may have been extended

I pay $329 for health and dental with MVP and have what I consider pretty great coverage, $25 copay, and $10 RX.

Being engaged, I looked into what it would cost to add me to Tom's plan and it's over $500 a month JUST for me They have no 2 person option, only "family".

He has crappy insurance and I plan to keep mine as long as I can afford to, even if it goes up when Cobra period ends.
Ellen, you may want to start your "homework" now. I don't believe that COBRA has been extended for folks in your position. I could be very wrong, but don't wait to check it out.

When you get the bill for "non group" coverage, you might find Tom's health plan to be a bargain. It truly sucks, I know. Rick's place pays a huge part of a single plan, but if you want a spouse on there you are in the $700/+month range for premium.

Sometimes your local Chamber of Commerce offers plans to small business and self employed folks. The fee to join is generally small. It might be an area to look into as you may have more options for coverage.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the tips Lainey There's also a number of plans available here in NY that offer decent coverage for about what I pay now.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is this "family or spouse" to which you refer? Your poll does not seem to include single people.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Look at them carefully. The fine state of Taxachusetts also offers plans, but most plans offer a limited network of providers, and the $$ is not that great a savings.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 1 2011, 12:49 PM
What is this "family or spouse" to which you refer? Your poll does not seem to include single people.
Sorry, my error. I guess you'll have to go with the other category.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

When I was married, I was on my ex's company insurance, that he had for all his employees, Kaiser Permanente. After we divorced, I applied with them to continue with an Individual Plan, on my own, and after passing a physical I was accepted. In Feb. 2008 I was paying $313/ month and it's now up to $452/month. Had they known they would be paying all but my $35 deductible, of the $1730 for my month supply of Enbrel injections they probably wouldn't have accepted me.

Quick Reply: Where do you get your health insurance