S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

When is Spring Fling?

Old 10-29-2004, 03:24 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Oct 29 2004, 06:29 AM
Duhhh -- I should have thought of this one: Natural Bridge -- Huge hotel, great group rates and beautiful driving -- within a distance I could make trips to work out details, driving, etc. It would be convenient for Patty and Andy to fly in to the airport in Roanoke and everything we'd need is there. It, too, is located just off interstates for travelers from afar.
Val

It looks nice.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Oct 29 2004, 05:29 AM
Duhhh -- I should have thought of this one: Natural Bridge -- Huge hotel, great group rates and beautiful driving -- within a distance I could make trips to work out details, driving, etc. It would be convenient for Patty and Andy to fly in to the airport in Roanoke and everything we'd need is there. It, too, is located just off interstates for travelers from afar.
I like this one. It's about 13 hours from Chicago, definitely driveable in a day, which would allow us to do it in a three day weekend. Another major benefit for us is that the hotel has broadband internet access, a must for Hilly if she needs to check in to class while we're on the road.

While WV might be better/closer, I'd prefer to be in a larger hotel with internet access; unfortunately that's going to continue to be an overriding consideration for us for the next year or two, until she finishes her master's program.

Did I say I like this one?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Oct 29 2004, 05:28 AM

I think this should be kept to a drive and socialize event. I also don't think a B & B would be big enough.
I'd much prefer a drive/socialize meet this time, and limiting it to 20-30 cars or so.

Weekend of April 30th "should" be ok for us.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:46 AM

[QUOTE=tomcatt,Oct 29 2004, 05:40 AM]
Old 10-29-2004, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Oct 29 2004, 06:46 AM
Poor Tom, it's such a long way away to be as ready as you obviously are. We should have fun with you as you go into "anticipation" mode once again. Guess I'd better drag out the recipe books and learn to make red-eye gravy to go with those grits. Good one Klassy. We're going to make suthin gents out of all these yankees yet.
Yeah, can you believe this is 6 months away?

mode will probably kick in around the time the snow stops flying here in Chicago.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

^ I do like the Natural Bridge idea...And it is right off I-81 which would not be much more of a driving burden for our northern members. That hotel would be great. That is the only problem with my NOVA idea. A nice hotel large enough for everyone. So it appears we have the weekend of April 30th in mind. Do we need a poll?? Also, we need to check on other S2Ki events occurring around that time. I think we had a conflict last year, but I can't remember what it was.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

to the poll idea. The Natural Bridge hotel & conference center is quite large and I believe has a car museum on site, if memory serves. I'm sure they'd be able to accommodate us all -- I'll make some calls to see if our date (April 30) is doable for them in the meantime. Six months is not a lot of time when you're needing hotels to make arrangements for you.
P.S. Jim is feeling some better -- not back to work yet, so I'm still trying to keep him comfy and cared for -- I'll be on and off today and able to do some checking on this thread .
Old 10-29-2004, 04:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone plot on a map the locations of all potential known attendees? From Toronto to the north, to Chicago to the west, to Wisconsin to the northwest, to Boston in the northeast, to D.C. etc. and see where a central location might fall?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:13 AM

I stayed at the Peaks of Otter last year, the lodge and adjacent cabins would be more than enough to accommodate our group. They have expanded their lodging from what I remembered as a child. The lake is beautiful and the food......... mmmm.... country ham, gravy and home made biscuits - very good dining facilities with a view of the lake and the mountains beyond. (and yes they have grits)!!!

Located off the Parkway the drive to get there is beautiful. The nearby cities and towns as Valentine mentioned are quaint and Roanoke has a nice airport and many things to do. Located in the valley of the Blue Ridge it's beautiful (and yes it's near and dear to me because I was born and raised there) The people coming from the north can travel 81 South and it should be an easy drive.

Natural Bridge is just another hotel... not nearly as quaint and quiet and the food isn't as good in my opinion. There is also Smith Mountain Lake and Bernards Landing as an option but more limited in the activities and location.

The Peaks of Otter would get my
Old 10-29-2004, 04:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

I really like the Peaks of Otter idea, too, but keep in mind for the NE folks, it's a pretty long haul...223 miles from DC, according to their website. Added on to quite a few other miles, that's alot. Anyway, everyone think about it and post!

Quick Reply: When is Spring Fling?