S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What Is Your Recollection of the Morning of 9/11 ?

Old 09-11-2021, 07:47 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Matt, you and your fellow passengers were blessed that day! I suspect many of us have been blessed more than once in our lives but never knew the details, like you.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:52 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Matt,

I never heard of a fifth plane before. What was their target?
https://greensboro.com/radar-hijacke...d75421686.html

As far as I know United Flight 93 was supposed to hit the Capital. The plane that hit the Pentagon was supposed to hit the White House, but could not find it because of the trees so it circled back to the Pentagon. So United Flight 1235 that I was on was destined to hit the Pentagon assuming that the other plane had hit the White House. FWIIW: I am just happy to be living on "borrowed time". If my plane had taken off I would NOT have had the joy of buying my 2003 Honda S2000 AP-1 and would not have had the joy of meeting all of the incredible people in the community that I have met over the past twenty years. Thanks to you all for the experience.

I guess that is open to speculation. One of the theories about the plane that hit the Pentagon was supposed to hit the White House
Old 09-11-2021, 10:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

My memory is not sharp. I may be wrong on what truly happened but I remember hearing about it from daughter and son, because I was in the bathroom and they were watching TV before I made their breakfast and drove them to school. I just realized they were 14 and 13 years-old! I seriously thought they were both in grammar school. Was there a different tragedy that then, that I don't recall?

I will ask them both what they remember as I know it should be more accurate/intense than my memories.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:08 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

We were in Turkey that day, on the way to the airport. Everyone was telling us how sorry they were for America. We first heard it from the driver, and we thought he was describing a plane that maybe overshot the runway. Wasn't till we arrived at the airport that we realized the true measure of what happened. Then we flew to London and stayed there five days before we could get a flight home.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

I was in our EC meeting. It’s always on Tuesday.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I remember the day. I took my son to school extra early that day (I can't remember why). Came back and turned on CNN. Think is was a Tuesday morning. The first plane had already crashed into the Trade Center. I saw the second crash live. I don't believe it was until 12noon Pacific Time, that most news outlets knew what was happening. Then, the plane into the Pentagon. Saw both buildings collapse. Horrifically unreal.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

On 9/11, I was in downtown Columbus along with several hundred business people attending a presentation by Steven Covey (of 7 Habits fame).

We broke for lunch, and because of the worsening news reports, some people decided not to attend the afternoon session .Covey said that those that chose to skip the afternoon session could attend another make-up presentation sometime in the future at no cost.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:30 PM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

There are many major events in history that I remember. The ones where I recall exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time number in the few, the ones where I have very vivid memories of my surroundings. The first was the passing of Elvis. The second was the Challenger shuttle disaster. And the most vivid memory was 9/11. The start of the Iraq war is a fourth event that I recall in great detail, it also introduced me to CNN after that time.

I was too young for JFK or Martin Luther King events. The shooting of Ronald Reagan was something that sticks in my mind to some degree, similar to the shooting of John Lennon. The shooting of the Pope was a big event for my family. While I remember those events I don't recall them with such detail as I do the other events.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I was at work when my wife called me and told me what was happening. When all the planes were grounded my partner and I were sent to our local airport to search all the planes for possible bombs. Later that evening we were also sent into Pa.to search an apartment thought to be a location of a possible suspect involved in this tragedy.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Zero, you missed out on Jack Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy and MLK, such a wonderful time to come of age.
Not to mention the whole civil rights thing and vietnam.

Quick Reply: What Is Your Recollection of the Morning of 9/11 ?