S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What Is Your Recollection of the Morning of 9/11 ?

Old 09-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

I enjoyed this performance...

Old 09-11-2021, 10:41 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper

A final thought. That almost 3,000 people died in the attack is unforgivable, yet somehow it is amazing that the number is only about 3,000. Something like 25,000 people worked in the towers and many more people were always on the sidewalks around them. I don't know what miracle prevented more deaths, but the number could've been in the 10s of thousands.
Despite the building construction flaws the buildings stayed up just enough to get a large portion of the people out during the evacuation. It is amazing to think how many people got out through the stairwells. Most of the deaths were people trapped at the top, on their way down at the time of collapse, and the heroes who were climbing upwards. I too am surprised the numbers were not much higher than they were. There were also the lucky people who did not attend work that day for unrelated reasons, office workers and even some firefighters and Police etc.

It is also sad that more soldiers died pursuing the attackers than people who died in the towers, the total deaths caused by the single event encompasses a wide number of people beyond what happened that one day.

A number of Canadians died in the Towers, most had the unfortunate luck of visiting the towers that single day for business or personal reasons, terrible terrible luck for them. We also lost several hundred soldiers participating and supporting the wars that followed.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
It's always a bit sad when I see a movie where the twin towers are featured - like Moonstruck and Working Girl.
If you watch the first two years of the Sopranos the World Trade Centers are featured in the introduction. After that the introduction was change as not to include them.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:16 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I was in my office at Pearson International Airport and as the principal Aviation Safety inspector for the Airport my day became very busy. My colleagues and I had to liaise with the airport operator, ATC and the various other organizations as well as our bosses in the region and Ottawa as the situation developed. My main responsibility was to help the Airport accommodate the influx of Aircraft in a safe and expeditious manner ensuring security of the airport and the arriving aircraft. The biggest challenge was finding parking for the aircraft that allowed the airport to continue operations. Like my fellow inspectors across the country we made it work.
The following 3 users liked this post by MAGGIEMAE:
dlq04 (09-11-2021), jukngene (09-12-2021), zeroptzero (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 02:54 PM

There have been a number of very good documentaries over the years. The History Channel's Rise and Fall: The World Trade Center - was a pretty good analysis of the construction issues of the towers. If I recall they only ended up with 3 stairwells, rather than a proper 6. On the day of the event various stairwells could not be used in parts of the building which were hit. It makes the evacuation numbers even more impressive with such few escape zones.

The Long Island Medium has a show on TLC tonight meeting with family members of 9/11 victims, having been to an authentic medium I can really relate to what she does, I find it very impressive and it must bring a sense of closing and comfort to those people.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I remember every moment of that morning, the faces of my coworkers.
The jammed ethernet web access trying to get to any news outlet the jamming around an AM radio.
Finally migrating to the holiday inn bar next door to the TV there, watching in stunned silence.

Over the last few days I've looked at younger people wondering if they have any recollection or were they even born.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I remember every moment of that morning, the faces of my coworkers.
The jammed ethernet web access trying to get to any news outlet the jamming around an AM radio.
Finally migrating to the holiday inn bar next door to the TV there, watching in stunned silence.

Over the last few days I've looked at younger people wondering if they have any recollection or were they even born.
My son was 6 months old, so no recollection for him, we always explain it to him as my wife was home on maternity leave at that time.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:40 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

My 9-11-01 Story

Matt Janowicz

(Survior)?

On the morning of 11 Sept 01 I was at Dulles Airport in Metro Washington sitting on a United Airlines Boeing 767 headed for Denver, Colorado for a connecting flight to Fort Wuachucha, Arizonia on a trip to the Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC).

As you can see from my boarding pass we boarded at 08:30. Fortunately, I was able to up-grade to first class using miles to seat 3D. But, even more fortunately, the plane had a problem with the rudder that prevented us from taking off. The Captain came on the intercom and apologized for the delay in our departure. As I was in seat 3D, I was able to see the technicians make several trips up to cockpit as they worked on the problem.

The person to my left, across the aisle from me seated in 3C got on his mobile phone and called his office to have them call the people in Denver that he was going to see, to tell him that his flight was delayed.

I few minutes later his “flip phone” rang and I heard him say out loud (to no one in particular) as he hung it up “someone just flew a plane into the World Trade Center in NYC.” As it was a glorious day (with out a cloud in the sky), I thought to myself that it was not an accident, unlike in the day back on 28 July 45 when a B-25 Bomber hit the Empire State Building in NYC due to fog.

At this time the male passenger seated in front of me got up out of his seat and pulled his carry on out of the overhead compartment and pulled out a small book that I latter researched to find out it is a Master List of all airline flights in the U.S.A. Published by the Airline Traffic Publishing company headquartered at Dulles Airport. He had short hair and a dark complexion, and very well could have been of middle-eastern origin. He seemed VERY agitated!

Just about then the Captain came on the Intercom and told us that we needed to abort the flight and leave the aircraft. The person seated to my right in 3E was a gentleman by the name of Bob Sue. As we did not realize the magnitude of the issue at the time, thinking that our flight was canceled because of the mechanical issue with the rudder, he asked me if I was a member of the United Red Carpet Club, which I was not at that time. He asked me if I wanted to be his guest?

When we walked up to the desk at the Red Carpet Club (where they ask to see your membership card) Bob asked if they knew what was going on with our flight? The female employee he asked just burst into tears and ran away. Her female co-worker stepped over and explained that they had just found out that one of the planes was theirs. Bob inquired: What do you mean? Her response was: The TV's are just around the corner.

As we walked in to the lounge, CNN was showing the second plane flying into the second tower.

A few minutes later we were giving the order to evacuate the terminal. I called my wife to come and pick me up, as all the taxi's were busy.

Since 11 Sept 01 until May of 2009 I had always wondered about the passenger seated in front of me that looked middle-eastern and was so agitated?

Fast forward to a car club meet in Cape May, NJ in May, 2009. We were at a Happy Hour, and as often happens, the guys and girls split into groups to chat. Somehow, the subject of 9-11 came up and one of my friends that was in the Air Force, and stationed at the Ramstein Air Force base at the time mentioned that he could not get in touch with his wife, who was stationed at the Pentagon, at the time, for over eight-teen hours due to the communications tie ups at the time.

I stated: Wow, you were a lot closer than I was. He asked me what I meant, and I explained that I was on a disabled United 767 headed to Denver that morning. He called his wife over by shouting out: Matt was on Sherry's airplane! She came running over and explained that one of her best friends was a flight attendant on my flight. When they were interviewed by the FBI, after they went over the passenger manifest they came to the conclusion that we were the fifth airplane that never got off the ground due to mechanical issue with the rudder. Her friend quit flying on the day that she was interviewed by the FBI.

So, based on what I was told the guy seated in front of me was a high jacker, which would explain why he was so agitated.

So, I am enjoying my life living on “borrowed time”.

P.S. I have read the 9-11 Commision Report and there is NO mention of a fifth plane?

My 9-11-01 experience chapter two: Dated 090121

As you may know from my previous communications I was on the fifth plane on 9-11 that never got off the ground from Dulles Airport on a United Airlines Boeing 767 from IAD to Denver as I was headed to Fort Huachuca In AZ. Becuase their was a problem with the rudder. The technicians made several trips up to the cockpit and went back in forth.

In May of 2009 at a S-2000 Car Club meet friends of mind told me that I was on the fifth airplane that never got off of the ground. As a friend of hers was a flight attendant on that flight that when the FBI went over the passenger manifest confirmed that there were hi-jackers on my plane.

Tonight at the American Legion Post 10 in Manassas VA I bumped into a friend of my mine and a friend of hers that both have Top Secret/ SCI clearances (including the Life Style clearance interview)

The friend of my fiend is married to the retired Sheriff of Alexandria VA where Moussaoui was jailed and he was the only person that Moussaoui would talk too. He confirmed that he was on the fifth plane that never got of of the ground.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...aida-bin-laden

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
My 9-11 story chapter two.pdf (30.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf
My 9-11 story chapter two.pdf (30.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-11-2021, 05:55 PM

^ Wow Matt, that is one crazy set of events, so glad you were fortunate to get out of that plane. You were one of a few lucky people that day. I do remember that one terrorist being caught who was suspected of being part of the group, there must have been 2-3 others on that flight I would suspect, did they ever catch others from that flight ? It seems they knew the names. I only recall that one person being arrested, and he was the one who had done some flight training at private schools in the U.S. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:31 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Matt,

I never heard of a fifth plane before. What was their target?

Quick Reply: What Is Your Recollection of the Morning of 9/11 ?