S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What are you looking forward to?

Old 04-18-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajlafleche,Apr 18 2006, 01:41 PM
Okay, short term...the first weekend in May I'll be going to Valey Forge PA for the Miniature Figure Collectors of America, an international competitive exhibition of painted historical figures. (Think toy soldiers with much more detail painted at the level of art.) I'll be there with several friends from my club and am looking forward to meeting a number of people I've gotten to know in the online forums.

Unfortunately, I have a commitment as head judge at another scale model event on the planned day of the Mohawk Trail S2K ride.

Next, Memorial Day at Lime Rock.

Then comes a week in Chatham in June.

ALMS at Lime Rock in July.

Longer term, well, in five and a half years, I'll reach the max in retirement dollars.
I've never been able to get the hang of figure painting. I have Shep Paine's books, and I've tried a number of times to do military figures, but they always wind up looking like crap. For some reason I just don't seem to have the eye needed for color, blending and shading. I'll give something a try, it winds up not looking like anything halfway realistic, and I give up in frustration.

I build armour (1/35th), aircraft (just about any subject in any scale) and cars (again just about anything, in 1/24-1/25 and larger). I'd love to be able to do 1/35th scale military figures for armour dioramas, but up til now there just hasn't been any success.

Oh well, one day I'll try again...

Any chance you could post some examples of your work? I'd love to see...

Tom
Old 04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Apr 19 2006, 12:56 AM
What are you looking forward to in the next several months?
A vacation. I care little for new cars etc although I do confess I would like a Harley once my car is paid for.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:03 PM

Here's a link to my gallery at Armorama.com. It really helps to have a mentor (or more) who can help you along. Books and videos can only go so far. Having someone look at a piece and say this needed more highlight or add a shadow there is a great way to make progress.
I see you're from the Chicago area. There's a very big show there in September or October and the people who sponsor it are Military Miniature Society of Illinois who meet in Des Plains, whereever that is.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:10 PM

In the short term, this weekend. I have a job interview in Denver -- those are always fun.

I know, I know, we just got here. But knocking opportunities are hard to ignore. HPH
Old 04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Tomorrow.

Everyday brings something new.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Apr 18 2006, 07:10 PM
In the short term, this weekend. I have a job interview in Denver -- those are always fun.

I know, I know, we just got here. But knocking opportunities are hard to ignore. HPH
Wow, that was quick. I'd love a chance to move back to Boca. How much can you teach me about the Geosciences before this weekend?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM

We're looking forward to salvaging our summer and resuming our normal lives. Our eldest daughter needs to finish her overseas adoption, hopefully by the end-of-June. Our son's wife is 5 1/2 months pregnant with twins and has had three previous problem pregnancies. They are in CA and will need help if she goes on bed rest again. As soon as that is over and they can travel, they are moving close to home in OH, a good thing that likely will also impact on us during late summer.
We can't really plan much of anything, so spontaneity will have to be our guide.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dean,Apr 18 2006, 07:42 PM
Wow, that was quick. I'd love a chance to move back to Boca. How much can you teach me about the Geosciences before this weekend?
that. If he's leaving, how much for the house?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Apr 18 2006, 07:59 PM
that. If he's leaving, how much for the house?
Boca being Boca, we probably don't really want to know.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dean
How much can you teach me about the Geosciences before this weekend?
Originally Posted by raymo19
If he's leaving, how much for the house?

Hey, you don't need to know Geosciences -- they'll be looking for a new suit for the administration building, and you can pick your own department. Plus, we haven't been in the house long enough to be able to take the exemption on profit, so it'll be quite reasonable.

Of course, we've put an astounding amount of stuff into it, and the cost basis is way up. For one thing it's not barf blue any more, and for another it actually works now -- it's hurricane proof and everything. Of course, 30-year-old houses in this area (close in, but not in the city with its higher taxes) start at about $300 per square foot...

HPH

Quick Reply: What are you looking forward to?