S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What are you doing this coming weekend?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

here's some of the stuff going on next weekend. Mercedes Benz Swim Show

I'm not a south beach night lifer but there are a couple things I'll go to.

Brunch on Sunday at nikki beach and we have a couple private party invitations to choose from.

A fun summer vacation that pays.

Works for me

fltsfshr
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
Don't you just love real estate agents? I cross my heart they are the most stupid, ignorant, inane, morons on the planet. I think if they flunk out of every high school (or maybe elementary school) in America, they then decide the best way to make a buck is to take a real estate course and voila' they find out they can make money by showing people houses that are for sale. Of course, the people to whom they show they houses want to buy houses anyway. You gotta just vomit. Then they only have to say to those folks whose houses are not being sold, well, you gotta fix any little flaw that may be in the house, remodel and update everything in the house and . . . drop your price and it MAY sell. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Val, can I send you some of my Xanax? Please?

I don't mind RE agents quite so much. Almost everyone needs to make a living somehow. Who knows what I'd be doing now, if it weren't for all the people who helped me along the way. That and quite a bit of luck. Hell, more likely than not, I'd probably be making license plates today.
What gets me about RE agents is the relatively small amount of time and money they are required to invest in their education and training, compared to the return on that investment. Six percent of the sale price of my home in return for taking a few pictures, and giving what are essentially guided tours of my home?
Damn, did I get into the wrong line of work. Not to brag, but just to point out how badly skewed I think our economic system is, I have well over $100k invested in my education, but even when I worked full time as a prof. at a major US University, I still had to work for years to recoup that investment. I'm not complaining either, as I was well aware of what to expect for income going in, and of course it was entirely my choice to go into research & teaching, I still would do the very same today, given the choice.
However, some of the wages paid relative to the services performed make no sense to me at all. Good thing I'm not an economist, nor attempt to play one on the Internet, I guess.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Okay. You can send me some. We've just not had the best of all experiences with re agents. I'm chillin'
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
However, some of the wages paid relative to the services performed make no sense to me at all. Good thing I'm not an economist, nor attempt to play one on the Internet, I guess.
yesterday at a Habitat for Humanity board retreat, we watched a TED talk....given by a guy who ranted about the lack of innovation in the Non-Profit world over the past...oh, 40 years. He showed how the cards are all stacked against the "do good" organizations. example:

a Stanford MBA grad with 10 years experience earns an average of 400k/year including bonuses; product= hedge fund flim flam

a major Non-Profit CEO earns an average of $84k/year; product= helping someone in some fashion.

it takes a committed "do gooder" to give up $316k EVERY YEAR to "make a difference".
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

that sounds like a lot of fun

fltsfshr
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1374089793' post='22671920
yesterday at a Habitat for Humanity board retreat, we watched a TED talk....given by a guy who ranted about the lack of innovation in the Non-Profit world over the past...oh, 40 years. He showed how the cards are all stacked against the "do good" organizations. example:

a Stanford MBA grad with 10 years experience earns an average of 400k/year including bonuses; product= hedge fund flim flam

a major Non-Profit CEO earns an average of $84k/year; product= helping someone in some fashion.

it takes a committed "do gooder" to give up $316k EVERY YEAR to "make a difference".
I've never looked at it in quite that way, but you make a very good point. Along the same vein, an example that really flies up my arse is the professional sports players and the obscene (IMO) amounts of money they're paid simply to play a game. What buries the point even deeper up my arse is when I hear these same overpaid prima donnas being referred to by the media as "heroes".
A firefighter running into a burning building to save a toddler from burning to death is a hero. A cop saving a woman from an armed mugger attempting to rob her of her monthly social security check is a hero. A nineteen year old kid on point on the outskirts of Kabul is a hero. Coddled sports players, not so much.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Then consider the owners of these franchises. They make obscenely more money and don't even have to play the game.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19
Then consider the owners of these franchises. They make obscenely more money and don't even have to play the game.
True enough, and the franchise owners don't have to concern themselves with the wear and tear, and outright trauma the players undergo throughout their careers that can eventually lead to disability and early death, depending on the sport played of course.
I don't think pro bowlers have to deal with quite the same health risks as boxers and football players, for example.
Of course, I know nothing about sports. Maybe pro bowlers eventually end up with bowling balls, or some other painful and debilitating disease.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Of all the lines I've reviewed so far (over 200) this line has the best looking fabrics and colors. It's an extensive line so there's lots of pictures. Their use of pattern placement and flow is very good.

Hope you don't mind me sharing my work, between soliloquy and flowers, this forum needs a little pinache. maui swim wear

fltsfshr
Nice panache! You're right we need more of that.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
Heading up to Road America tomorrow morning for the Hawk/Brian Redman historic races and concours.

If anyone from here is going to be up there, please stop by. We have rented the house on the corner of East and Elm streets. That's smack dab in the middle of where both the race car and the show car concours will be held. All of the race cars for the Friday concours enter and do the burn-out exit at night right by our porch.

And...........having a hundred or so of various premium fermented beverages in the refrigerator is not an uncommon condition.
Damn, did they change dates? I had it as the weekend of July 13th on my calendar.

Quick Reply: What are you doing this coming weekend?