S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What are you doing this coming weekend?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

My mother's request. We were having chicken, but she wants lasagna. Turkey is OK, but not at the top of our food likes. We are making the sauce with just meatballs and not sausage this time, to cut down on the salt. And making it without adding any salt. Doc wants my mother to cut it out as much as possible, and it won't hurt the +1 and me to do the same.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
My mother's request. We were having chicken, but she wants lasagna. Turkey is OK, but not at the top of our food likes. We are making the sauce with just meatballs and not sausage this time, to cut down on the salt. And making it without adding any salt. Doc wants my mother to cut it out as much as possible, and it won't hurt the +1 and me to do the same.
Lasagna with meatballs? Do you layer the sauce with the noodles or serve the sauce on the side? One local restaurant serves the sauce on the side. Not my preference. We usually have ground beef in the sauce used for the lasagna and it's layered between the noodles. Sometimes Rick will toss some sausage in there. Not my preference due to fat content.

We (or I should say he) makes his own sauce from canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, etc. Lots of spices. He doesn't add salt, but we don't use the low salt or no salt tomatoes, too blah. I realize the salt/congestive heart relationship, my Dad was in the same boat, and he had a hard time cutting back on salt.

My mother in law used to cook potatoes with no salt. Just a little salt in cooking makes a big difference. My sister in law and I used to pass the salt shaker back and forth at Thanksgiving. The potatoes were so bland.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Yes, the meatballs layered with the sauce. We cook the sauce and let it simmer for quite awhile, then add the meatballs and simmer another hour or so. I slice them for the layering. We have extra sauce for adding if anyone wants it. My mother doesn't eat much, so we'll definitely have some left over for her to eat and us, too. Yum...

Speaking of Italian, we are taking my ex and his gf to dinner Sat night as his moving-away dinner. He leaves for Argentina right after the New Year. We are going to Bibiana, which is a very good Italian place downtown. Went the first time for my birthday last Feb and been wanting to go again. Most likely will have fish or veal or pork - not pasta.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Member (Premium)

^ I had the pork and the +1 the veal. Yummy...

This weekend is fairly busy. My sis arrives tomorrow to stay with my mom for at least a couple of weeks. Sat we have a holiday open house in the afternoon, then the Caps game, which I hope turns out better than their recent ones. No big +1 company party this year which is a disappointment. It was fabulous while it lasted. They broke up into smaller parties. Can't go, though, since we have a conflict next weekend with the arrival of the +1's son for his GMU orientation and campus tour.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 AM

Quiet weekend, I think. I'm kid free, however I may take Ryan for some one on one time, I'll let him pick out a Christmas gift for his Dad and we'll have lunch. Since I've got a few weeks off from Saturday kid duty, I need to be in "catch up" mode around the house. Toss in holiday shopping and my all out decorating (one tree ) and the weekends will still fly by.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working again this weekend Been crazy swamped lately. Good for checkbook, bad for everything else

Going to Vermont to visit my mom for a couple days next week... sort of a Thanks-Mas visit
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Working again this weekend Been crazy swamped lately. Good for checkbook, bad for everything else

Going to Vermont to visit my mom for a couple days next week... sort of a Thanks-Mas visit
Busy working? Good! I've been wondering where you've been. You didn't even answer my post on your facebook page a few days back.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Taking it slow and easy this weekend. Planning to wrap some gifts we bought locally for shipment to our son/daughter in law in Germany. I'll probably have to do the remainder of my shopping online. May get +1 to take me to Brookgreen to get some bird/wildlife ornaments from their collection. Nights of a Thousand Candles starts this weekend, but I'm not feeling quite up to that and may try to go next weekend.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

"Volunteered" to help a friend split wood. Wait...where was he when I was splitting my 2 cords of wood a couple of weeks ago??? I may have to reevaluate this situation.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by jukngene
"Volunteered" to help a friend split wood. Wait...where was he when I was splitting my 2 cords of wood a couple of weeks ago??? I may have to reevaluate this situation.
Just look at it as your exercise for the day. And you will earn a and his thanks when you are done.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: What are you doing this coming weekend?