S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What are you doing this coming weekend?

Old 10-01-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

What kind of art/artist show, Rob?

For those traveling, have fun.

For those stacking wood, well not so much fun.....

For those in the way of all that rain, stay safe. Not sure how the storm will affect us yet.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Celebrating Mrs. GM3's birthday tomorrow (lunch, a movie, and dinner), another 15 miles Saturday, gym an work on Sunday.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Still waiting on whether the Wilson Bridge Half Marathon will be cancelled or not. The +1 was going to run it Sun AM. We are getting a great deal of rain today and tomorrow. I hope Stevie Wonder makes it for tomorrow evening's concert!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:59 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,292 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Originally Posted by The Raptor' timestamp='1443730485' post='23763596
Leaving tomorrow morning for four nights in Big Bear Lake, an LA area mountain resort at 7,000'.

We always take two cars. We load up the telescope, our two dogs, and our stuff in Anne Marie's Acura RDX and I drive up separately in the Vette. We tear up the mountain by day in Big Red and do serious Astronomy at night. I can't wait!

Nice scope. Is that an 11" or an 8"?

fltsfshr
8" Meade LX200. My recurring dream is to get a place in Big Bear with a clear, unbroken 360° view of the horizon and build a high deck with an observatory dome housing a 16" Meade LX200 on a permanent equatorial mount pier and retire and live there. (How's that for a run on sentence?) However, we've never spent a winter in snow country. Maybe snowbird winters in Palm Springs. Just fantasy at this point.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 4,289 Likes on 3,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
What kind of art/artist show, Rob?

For those traveling, have fun.

For those stacking wood, well not so much fun.....

For those in the way of all that rain, stay safe. Not sure how the storm will affect us yet.
An artist named Woody Jackson is having a reception and showing his work in our gallery for the next couple of months. He is big into cows he was the artist who came up with the logo for Ben and Jerry's.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie' timestamp='1443063466' post='23756242
I'll be cycling 90 miles this weekend in the BikeMS Waves to Wine event. 50 Saturday, 40 Sunday. Weather is looking good, and it's always a great event.
D-U-N done! I'll post up the Strava info when I can.

This year, they changed the courses up from year previous. . . and I'd say the 20 miler was (guesstimating here- I rode a longer route) probably do-able on the ElliptiGos. Otherwise, I dismounted twice Saturday, and once Sunday . On those three hills, I saw people dismounting, and chose to join the herd (restraint being the better part. . .). Even then, went anaerobic walking the bike up one hill, so take that as you will.

Thanks to you all for the well-wishes, and thanks to the folks that donated. I'm going to try and get the formal thank yous out soon, but am heading to Florida on Wednesday for a few days. . .
Unkie, I am sorry I missed your earlier post. If you do this ride next year please let me know. My daughter lives in the bay area and has MS. She use to be on a team that did the 50 mile walk in Southern California but hasn't done it for a few years.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Winter prep starts this weekend. Oil change and full detail on the Civic. Transmission fluid and coolant changes on my wife's TSX. Like others, I have some firewood to stack.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Originally Posted by fltsfshr' timestamp='1443744826' post='23763791
[quote name='The Raptor' timestamp='1443730485' post='23763596']
Leaving tomorrow morning for four nights in Big Bear Lake, an LA area mountain resort at 7,000'.

We always take two cars. We load up the telescope, our two dogs, and our stuff in Anne Marie's Acura RDX and I drive up separately in the Vette. We tear up the mountain by day in Big Red and do serious Astronomy at night. I can't wait!

Nice scope. Is that an 11" or an 8"?

fltsfshr
8" Meade LX200. My recurring dream is to get a place in Big Bear with a clear, unbroken 360° view of the horizon and build a high deck with an observatory dome housing a 16" Meade LX200 on a permanent equatorial mount pier and retire and live there. (How's that for a run on sentence?) However, we've never spent a winter in snow country. Maybe snowbird winters in Palm Springs. Just fantasy at this point.
[/quote]
Question from an astronomy NOOB:

What sky objects can you track with your telescope? Obviously the moon, Jupiter , Mars, and Saturn. Are there others?

Thanks,

gary
Old 10-08-2015, 02:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Sun is a BBQ for all the 24 peeps running (+ the van drivers) the 200-mile Bourbon Chase in KY next week. The +1 is his team's captain (two teams of 12). Starts at Jim Beam. He's been sipping bourbon from all the ones he can find (two seem to be unavailable - probably boutique distilleries with limited supply) in preparation. Will also be sipping at the BBQ. And in the vans as they proceed along the route. And at the end of the race. Each person runs three legs. It is day and night and will take about 28 hours total. Yeah, he crazy... Last year it sold out in about five minutes. This time there was a lottery and they got in. I thought about going down and meeting them at the end, but then realized I'd be with a bunch of sweaty, stinky, boozed up people, so I'm taking a pass. Maybe we can go down again and travel the route at a more leisurely pace.

"Begin your journey at Jim Beam and head east to Bardstown, the Bourbon Capital of the World. In the quaint city of Bardstown, you pass through Heaven Hill, the largest family-owned distillery in the world. Next, you trek toward the historic and beautiful Maker's Mark distillery. Exiting the distillery, you head into the heart of central Kentucky, passing some of the state's most historic areas. First, the course takes you near Perryville Battlefield, where a significant Civil War battle took place. Next, you will head south to Stanford, the second oldest city in Kentucky. Then, the course turns for the north as it passes through the middle of the enchanting community of Danville where the state's first constitution was written. Finally, before heading back into distillery country, you run through Harrodsburg. Founded as Fort Harrod in 1774, it was the first permanent settlement west of the Alleghenies.

The unique Spanish Mission-style architecture announces that you have reached Four Roses distillery. From here, you come into Lawrenceburg, home of Wild Turkey. Crossing over the Tyrone Bridge, several hundred feet above the Kentucky River, you enter the official gateway to Horse Country. This section of the course, heading toward Woodford Reserve, is undoubtedly the most stunning because of its rolling bluegrass countryside and picturesque horse farms.

From there you head toward the charming community of Midway, home of one of the nation's leading colleges focusing on equine professions. As you wind your way out of Midway and down the delightful scenic back roads of the Bluegrass Region, the course works its way into downtown Lexington. By now, you can smell and hear the finish line celebration that awaits you and your friends at Triangle Park, near the Alltech Brewery & Distillery."

http://bourbonchase.com/race
Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Heading to the Palm Springs area today thru Sunday for NSXPO. It should be fun hanging with my NSX buddies for more than a three hour get together although the heat will be high. It's predicted to be 102* Thursday and Friday and 99* on Saturday and Sunday with lows in the high to med 70s. At least it's a dry heat.

Quick Reply: What are you doing this coming weekend?