S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What town would be your ideal place to relocate to?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll pass on the scorpions in the shoes
Old 09-29-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a pretty broad exposure to the country having been born in South Dakota, grew up in Massachusetts, lived in Southern California a total of 14 years and now living in Vermont. That first day of the golden period is about 5 1/2 years away and my wife and I have had a lot of discussion about this. The whole weather thing is affected by where the kids are living. We loved the weather in Orange County. But as mentioned before, the cost and number of people are exhorbitant. We lived in Lake Arrowhead for 8 years. It had much of everything we would want. Great weather most of the time, but seasonal changes that included snow in the winter. The advantage is that a half hour drive brought us back to balmy weather. The biggest drawback was commuting and since that isn't a problem in retirement, doesn't leave much to complain about. Housing is relatively inexpensive.

Vermont is truly beautiful. Winters can be severe and although we haven't seen it yet, weather history says over 200 days a year are overcast.

Although Flagstaff has snow, it's still less severe than the east and the rest of the year is pretty nice.

Having lived in Wyoming when young, it always seemed like a great place to be. You just have that winter thing again.

We'll probably end up in New England to be closer to our kids, but will travel extensively, especially in the West.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by The Professor
......Jerry, I don't know anything about Civano, and the website didn't seem to reveal where it is in Tucson. That city is OK, but some areas are run-down, as is Phoenix. Our utility usage is so low, that we didn't need to look for anything special in that regard. Tucson isn't as large a cultural base as Phoenix, being a much smaller city.
Professor, there are directions from Phoenix under \"contact us\"...scroll down to the bottom...also a map link. Civano is about 18 miles from ???? on I-10... Take a ride sometime and let me know what you think

Your situation in Phoenix sounds pretty neat. I've told Kathy that I'd like to do a long weekend to AZ over the winter to check out some things. I love the Sonoran dessert around Tucson....that's the attraction there...along with the smaller size. How about the longterm problems with H20
Old 09-29-2003, 07:46 PM

For six months of the year, no place we've been is more beautiful than northern Michigan (ok maybe Italy at the Swiss border, right around the latitude of Traverse City (45th parallel). Water, shoreline, wooded hills: it's an outdoor paradise.

Then there's the other six months.
We're still working on that part. The common thing here is to be a snowbird in Fla, but that doesn't appeal much.

So we're looking for that perfect location with freshwater sailing and moderate climate. Haven't found it yet.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:53 PM

Jerry;
I "contacted" them and found it. Civano is just SE of Tucson proper, away from urban congestion (and Tucson traffic doesn't flow well), and in the developing Sonoran desert. Sonoran= green, w. saguaros, but desert. Elevation looks to be about 2000ft., just like where we live. It's nice. There is a large AF base close by the development. To the North are forested mountains, altho a large fire burned some of that out this Summer, on a 9000ft. peak that features snow skiing.
H2O-- well, nobody's worried, but we are in a 100yr. drought. Or, nobody's worried even tho we are in a 100yr. drought. There are resevoir/lakes fed by the watershed of the entire northern 1/2 of the state, which is forested and mountainous. Colorado also supplies our water, as a canal comes off the Colorado River. People water lawns,golf courses, and fill swimming pools as if water were plentiful, so.....?! Some very militant eco-types want to tear down all the dams, but I doubt that idea will go anywhere. Ecologically, if those beavers can do it, why can't we?

Paul
Old 09-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by The Professor
Jerry;
I "contacted" them and found it. Civano is just SE of Tucson proper, away from urban congestion (and Tucson traffic doesn't flow well), and in the developing Sonoran desert. Sonoran= green, w. saguaros, but desert. Elevation looks to be about 2000ft., just like where we live. It's nice. There is a large AF base close by the development. To the North are forested mountains, altho a large fire burned some of that out this Summer, on a 9000ft. peak that features snow skiing.
Thanks for the feedback. I wish their website had some 360 deg virtual tours...to get a sense of the layout. I'll just have to check it out personally
Old 10-01-2003, 06:26 AM

I will be heading out on my adventure by next summer at the latest. I still don't know where I will be headed. At this point, it looks like either Provo Utah and the surrounding area or some place in Idaho. Someplace that isn't progressive to the point that beggars and homeless outnumber shoppers and people that work for a living. Don't get me wrong, I am progressive to a point and don't want the government in my wallet or my bedroom but........this has gotten ugly. I would like to explore Arizona further but the gal doesn't like the heat. Perhaps Northern Arizona but it still has that South West culture working against it. Besides that, being in California, we have had enough of the South West culture for this lifetime. That is the main reason we are leaving. I love the beauty and weather of the South West but the culture is a drag.
High unemployement, dumbing down, unfriendly towards business, socializm, crime, street people, uneducated labor pool, progressive politics to the point of ugly, crowded, traffic congestion, filthy littered highways and streets, graffittii, and very high cost of living. Is there a better place or is this the way it is all over? I know there is always a trade off. I guess I'll just have to explore. Our area of California has always been wierd but it's getting ugly or nasty wierd.
I was on the Santa Cruz Pacific Garden Mall yesterday which is a very happening kind of place that was always a very bright and progresssive place where all the beautiful people congregate to listen to street musicians and stroll from shop to shop. A bad wind was blowing on this super high rent street mall. Very few shoppers in the shops paying probably $5/ sq ft. rent or more. Beggars with signs every 20 or so feet aggressively panhandling. The progressive politics of the area state that panhandling is legal as long as the panhandler stays so many feet from the shop's front door. In other words, panhandlers and aggressive street people out number shoppers. I just shook my head and headed home. I just don't know what will happen here. Last one to leave, turn out the lights.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jrf:

I've lived in Santa Cruz all 26 years of my life and know very well what you're talking about. My father was also born here and he and my mom moved away for the exact same reasons as you. I've seen SC change a lot in my time here. It's wild to hear stories of what the town was like before UCSC moved in.

I hope you can find happiness where ever you end up. I really suggest Hailey.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
jrf:

I've lived in Santa Cruz all 26 years of my life and know very well what you're talking about.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess I haven't been to enough places as a touris to know where I want to end up. Most of my travels puts me in conference rooms, air ports and office buildings.

I've always assumed I would have two homes. Just not sure where they will be.

Quick Reply: What town would be your ideal place to relocate to?