S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 07-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,006 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
That doesn't look fun for Josie, Sue. What did she do to her foot?
She had been having foot pain for a long time. Scans showed that a piece of the foot bone had broken off and was floating. Her ankle bone was also broken, in addition to a stress fracture and bone spur.

When the surgeon went in, he found that the piece of bone had embedded in a tendon and the tendon was torn and needed to be repaired.

She is still in a lot of pain.

She had a followup appointment today, and she is very discouraged. The recovery is going to take a lot longer than she expected. The incision is healing well, but she has a pressure sore on her heel. She is upset that she will not be able to work anymore this season as a lifeguard at the water park. She had hoped to be able to work a little before the end of the season. Of course, we would guess that she would not be able to, but in her twenty year old mind, she thought she would be able to.

She is also worried about going back to nursing school which starts in a month.

All in all, she is very unhappy right now.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
She had been having foot pain for a long time. Scans showed that a piece of the foot bone had broken off and was floating. Her ankle bone was also broken, in addition to a stress fracture and bone spur.

When the surgeon went in, he found that the piece of bone had embedded in a tendon and the tendon was torn and needed to be repaired.

She had a followup appointment today, and she is very discouraged. The recovery is going to take a lot longer than she expected. The incision is healing well, but she has a pressure sore on her heel. She is upset that she will not be able to work anymore this season as a lifeguard at the water park. She had hoped to be able to work a little before the end of the season. Of course, we would guess that she would not be able to, but in her twenty year old mind, she thought she would be able to.

Darn. Did she injure it somewhere along the line?
The following users liked this post:
buckeyesue (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:14 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Thats a lot going on. Hopefully she will be able to use a knee scooter for some mobility. My sister has had three foot/ankle surgeries and got creative getting around. A rolling stool was her go to for rolling around in the kitchen or down the hallway. A walker was easier to use vs crutches when she was not allowed to put weight on her foot. I hope she heals quickly and can work out an arrangement for school.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lainey:
buckeyesue (07-22-2024), Kyras (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Thats a lot going on. Hopefully she will be able to use a knee scooter for some mobility. My sister has had three foot/ankle surgeries and got creative getting around. A rolling stool was her go to for rolling around in the kitchen or down the hallway. A walker was easier to use vs crutches when she was not allowed to put weight on her foot. I hope she heals quickly and can work out an arrangement for school.

^11-8-2017. I liked my borrowed knee scooter. It was fun. A friend loaned me this after I broke my foot riding my motorcycle in the forest.
buckeyesue (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:52 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Most twenty year olds wouldn't understand healing time. I hope she is feeling better soon.
buckeyesue (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 05:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Kyras
Darn. Did she injure it somewhere along the line?
She is not really aware of how it might have happened.

She has been working at the water park as a lifeguard for three or four years. She has been a team captain and supervisor of other lifeguards for the last year or two.

The job is actually very physical and sometimes she works 13 hour days. She puts in a lot of steps, sometimes as much as 30,000 in one day.

Most recently, before her foot surgery, she was working at a job called Base Operator for the water park and zoo. Sort of like a 911 operator to send the appropriate help for emergencies. They let her do that instead of her lifeguarding job because she was not supposed to put weight on her foot even before the surgery.

Last edited by buckeyesue; 07-22-2024 at 05:46 PM.
Kyras (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 09:16 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Sue, sorry for your granddaughter's issues. I dealt with bone fragments and torn ligaments in an ankle so I can kinda relate to the pain. No damn fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by dlq04:
buckeyesue (07-23-2024), JoePhotographer (07-23-2024), valentine (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 10:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,934 Likes on 2,643 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Sue, sorry for your granddaughter's issues. I dealt with bone fragments and torn ligaments in an ankle so I can kinda relate to the pain. No damn fun.
I'll echo that sentiment. fortunately mine were on the outside of the ankle and not in the joint.
I saved that little pleasure for my knee.

Originally Posted by dlq04
Ok, I haven't heard of that. I would have thought Jerry would have posted he used one.
The Briggs has an electric pump for continuously moving the water.
I had the economy version. which is just the cooler with the ice water in it. ( I still have it, you know because you never know when you need it again) )
every 10-15 minutes you put it on the floor to drain it out and then raise back over your head to fill the cuff again.
it works but it's annoying to use.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:17 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I'll echo that sentiment. fortunately mine were on the outside of the ankle and not in the joint.
I saved that little pleasure for my knee.

The Briggs has an electric pump for continuously moving the water.
I had the economy version. which is just the cooler with the ice water in it. ( I still have it, you know because you never know when you need it again) )
every 10-15 minutes you put it on the floor to drain it out and then raise back over your head to fill the cuff again.
it works but it's annoying to use.
Had one of those manual ones and they are a PITA. The pump version type are great! Instead of using ice I froze bottles of water which were reusable. I kept 6 of them in rotation.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:21 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Had one of those manual ones and they are a PITA. The pump version type are great! Instead of using ice I froze bottles of water which were reusable. I kept 6 of them in rotation.
Scooots, could you please explain this?

It sounds as if the idea might be useful for my granddaughter.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?