S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 06-30-2024, 03:46 PM

Received 2,969 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Watch for red patch or spots or a bullseye around the bite. My sister got bit in the neck by a Lyme tick and it was really bad affected her nervous system.
I am...While in the car yesterday, I brushed what I thought was a chocolate crumb off my lap and it might have been a tick. If it was a tick, it wasn't that small, likely a wood tick....I hope.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Received 5,332 Likes on 3,171 Posts

A buddy got bit by a tick and brushed it off by mistake. Went to doc to confirm it was a tick bit; it was. If caught within 3 days he just has to take a couple pills. I read the 3 worst states for Lyme are Maine, RI, and I recall the 3rd but its in that neck of the woods.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
A buddy got bit by a tick and brushed it off by mistake. Went to doc to confirm it was a tick bit; it was. If caught within 3 days he just has to take a couple pills. I read the 3 worst states for Lyme are Maine, RI, and I recall the 3rd but its in that neck of the woods.
Yeah just checked urgent care...no appointments, May call my doc. Today would be day three....
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Yeah just checked urgent care...no appointments, May call my doc. Today would be day three....
Doc's office called back. Tick panel in two weeks. I know Lyme disease symptoms generally aren't immediate after a bite (and won't show on blood tests right away) , but I read what you did Dave. A short course of antibiotics would be more preferable to me, rather than wait.

I was able to make an urgent care appointment and mentioned that to the nurse. I also tried to give the nurse a better idea of what happened I hate having to talk to all the gate keepers and message takers. The nurse will ask the doc about the short term antibiotics. I told her if she got the chance to converse with the doctor by 5:00 I could still cancel my appointment. The nurse also made it sound as if two weeks have passed since the bite, if I test positive, the antibiotics would be short term.

Hoping to get clarification before I have to leave for the appointment, which I'd be happy to cancel.

Edit: Doc called in the one dose of antibiotics. Blood work in two weeks. Advise if the area seems to end up with bull's eye rash, or any other issues.

Last edited by Lainey; Yesterday at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Received 4,010 Likes on 3,156 Posts

for you Lainey.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Received 204 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Doc's office called back. Tick panel in two weeks. I know Lyme doesn't actually get into the system, but I read what you did Dave. A short course of antibiotics would be more preferable to me, rather than wait.

I was able to make an urgent care appointment and mentioned that to the nurse. I also tried to give the nurse a better idea of what happened I hate having to talk to all the gate keepers and message takers. The nurse will ask the doc about the short term antibiotics. I told her if she got the chance to converse with the doctor by 5:00 I could still cancel my appointment. The nurse also made it sound as if two weeks have passed since the bite, if I test positive, the antibiotics would be short terms.

Hoping to get clarification before I have to leave for the appointment, which I'd be happy to cancel.

Edit: Doc called in the one dose of antibiotics. Blood work in two weeks. Advise if the area seems to end up with bull's eye rash, or any other issues.
Friend of mine got a tick bite several years ago. She didn't get immediate treatment. When she became sick, she didn't make the connection with the tick bite. Doctors ran so many tests. It literally took years for them to finally diagnose the root cause of her illness and determine the accompanying Babesiosis disease she had contracted because of it. It was a hellish time for her and the long-term damage it did is something she still has to contend with. Don't wait. Immediate treatment is critical. Had she been diagnosed immediately, her life would be very different right now.

EDIT: And I see now your additional info re antibiotics... Good that the docs are being proactive on treatment!

Last edited by RMurphy; Yesterday at 03:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMurphy:
buckeyesue (Yesterday), Lainey (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

We live in an area with high incidence of tick borne illnesses. If I have one, it's ironic I contracted it in Canada vs our area, as we are in the woods often, though we do use insect repellent. Rick reminded me we walked a bit in the woods on Tuesday, as well as Friday. So, I could have had a hitchhiker for a few days. The bite is in the hairline on my neck, which is a place they like hang out and feed.

We have a few friends who golf frequently. One has had Lyme disease twice, another ended up with Babesiosis. He was in and out of the hospital a few times, lost about 25 pounds and had to have his spleen removed. Thankfully, he recovered fully.

I could not see the sense in waiting two weeks to get tested, though I know many times the symptoms are not immediate and won't show on a blood test.