S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 12-07-2023, 06:09 PM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Glad you enjoyed....there is no way that (sleeping in a tent in a desert) would tempt me. It's so arid. I do prefer our mountains which are green!

How did you spend your time during daylight hours?
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Glad you enjoyed....there is no way that (sleeping in a tent in a desert) would tempt me. It's so arid. I do prefer our mountains which are green!

How did you spend your time during daylight hours?
Once I got my tent set up I walked to the rocky hills to the west, but knowing it would be getting dark within an hour, I didn't want to risk losing my way back so I kept turning around to see what it looked like. (Jerry and I got separated at Yosemite in 2009 and once the sun set it was really hard to tell if you'd been in that spot before or not.) When it got dark I was sitting in my reclining chair watching the satellites, stars and airplanes and then it was only about 5:30 pm and I didn't know what to do. I didn't have anything to read and I didn't want to go to bed so I took a couple of walks around the campground. Today, I got up before sunrise, packed up and then drove to places I wanted to see. Joshua Tree National Park is huge. I love the desert and find it beautiful there.

zeroptzero (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 11:00 PM

Received 5,797 Likes on 3,416 Posts

Now I know why you thought the mattress was too soft! I'm with Lainey, that's too barren for me. I know you grew up with it and like it.
Kyras (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:10 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I think the desert landscape would be intriguing for me as I have never been near one. But a few hours would be enough for me and then I'd be back at a hotel resting. Watch out for those snakes.
Kyras (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Weekend plans had included a Mercedes club event on Sunday. dinner and Penn & Teller.
we'll see how we feel by then.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by dlq04
Now I know why you thought the mattress was too soft! I'm with Lainey, that's too barren for me. I know you grew up with it and like it.
I posted all those photos of the tent to show what went into my bed. First off was two layers of egg crate foam. Then there was a California king comforter folded in half for another layer of softening. Last was my son's sleeping bag from school days, and four pillows. I was afraid I was going to be having really sore hips and stuff but I woke up and nothing hurt. So yes, I I do like it on the firmer side. I love sleeping outside. One night was enough though.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I think the desert landscape would be intriguing for me as I have never been near one. But a few hours would be enough for me and then I'd be back at a hotel resting. Watch out for those snakes.
I am okay with snakes. They've been in my life since I was a child camping at Lake Havasu, Arizona. My dad wacked a rattlesnake with a water ski but it didn't faze it. I have killed one or two with a shovel, by cutting off its head. I hate scorpions, though. They are tough to kill.

I've spent many weekends in the Mojave Desert when my boyfriend/husband raced desert races. I enjoy it when it's not hot or super windy. Motorhomes rule out there.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:13 AM

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,101 Posts

My childhood was growing up in the woods in NE OK near a lake. So we had water moccasins, copperheads, a very occasional rattlesnake, scorpions, brown recluse, etc lol. So I just got used to watching out for poisonous stuff and dont worry about it camping beyond taking normal precautions. We live in MO again now so have a lot of the same stuff around. Just part of life To be honest, I would rather deal with those than the mosquitoes we dealt with for 18 years living up in MN. It is nice now to camp and get out of the tent BEFORE fogging ones self to death with deet.

Last edited by engifineer; 12-08-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Kyras (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 09:15 AM

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,101 Posts

But you know what generally pisses me off? Yellow jackets! I have had a number of battles with those little bastards in my life and they tend to win! Had a nest of them swarm us as kids and got stung 3-4 times (luckilly only that many). Fastest I have probably ever run while wildly slapping myself all over! Had another battle with them a few years ago in my yard. Only managed to get stung once that time but it took me a week to get rid of them as they had built quite a huge nest under a rotten stump. Most other insects and spiders really dont want to have much to do with you. Yellowjackets however are a-holes. And very, very fast a-holes at that!
The following 2 users liked this post by engifineer:
Kyras (12-08-2023), Lainey (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,874 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Lainey, my PC in CA finally bit the dust. It's a Dell I bought it in 2008. I'm stuck with my cellphone right now. Laptop is in CO. So, yes, I did tent it last night! I loved it for one night and remembered why as a family, we used to never stay in campgrounds. We had extra water tanks, water and solar panels so we could stay out for days. We didn't have neighbors..

Yay! Glad you tent-ed it I'm definitely putting Joshua Tree at the top of the need to visit list, scenery looks spectacular.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?