S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 06-29-2023, 09:40 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Bummer. It was a pretty good run too.

How it all came about was kind of amusing. Mario contacted me and said, "Hey, the NSX community is dying for a drive so I was thinking of putting one together in the Santa Monica Mountains on June 25. Do you have some drive routes and instructions you would be willing to share? You can come along, of course." Lol. I'm like, well, first off, yes you can have any of my drive routes for the Santa Monica Mountains, no problem. But I can't go on your drive because I've already posted that we are doing an EOQ Drive on that day. So the only way I could go to your drive is if we combine the groups.

"That's a great idea, Roseanne!" :lol:

We had done the Malibu drive for the last 2 or 3 EOQs and I really didn't want to repeat it yet again. It gets old to do the same thing over and over... lather, rinse, repeat. So we agreed to combine groups, but to go to the route I was reconning out by Castaic area. Worked out pretty well. It was all new to most of the NSX folks and parts of the drive were new to the EOQ group.

Added bonus was that the folks whose NSX's were unavailable were still able to participate because it wasn't a "purist" drive.

It was really nice to see water in Elizabeth Lake again. It had been getting smaller and smaller for so long.
Did you get any photos of Elizabeth Lake? I lived in nearby Acton from 1985 to 2008 and my ex and I would take the 2001 and 2005 S2000s over there and to Tehachapi.

BTW, my all time favorite Mexican restaurant is in Acton; La Cabana. It's not far from Elizabeth Lake. I went there in April. Excellent margs and great food. It's my gold standard.

^The best chips.

^I love the La Cabana omelette. I also got two chesse enchiladas to go as I was on my way to Kennedy Meadows.

^4-30-2006. On one of our little drives.

Last edited by Kyras; 06-29-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:13 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Did you get any photos of Elizabeth Lake? I lived in nearby Acton from 1985 to 2008 and my ex and I would take the 2001 and 2005 S2000s over there and to Tehachapi.

BTW, my all time favorite Mexican restaurant is in Acton; La Cabana. It's not far from Elizabeth Lake. I went there in April. Excellent margs and great food. It's my gold standard.
I didn't get any pics of Elizabeth Lake, but Jason might have during our recon drive. I'll ask him later. I just thought it was awesome to look over and see water in it in portions that were recently just dried mud bogs.

I've been to La Cabana, but it's been awhile. I know we were there for a timed rally event a few years ago, and I think we stopped in once again during another drive but I can't recall when that was. Great place in the middle of nowhere.

We came up Little Tujunga to Sand Canyon and eventually across to Bouquet Canyon and out toward Lake Hughes area. We stopped at The Rock Inn for lunch and headed out the opposite direction of Acton toward the Old Ridge Route Road. We made the right onto Lancaster Road and then came back by way of Pine Canyon Road. we made it easy into Santa Clarita by way of San Fancisquito Canyon. Then we had an optional "after" gathering at this very out of the way beer tasting room off of Rye Canyon Loop. Neat little place.

Felt strange driving through where Paul Walker had his fatal accident. It's a very quiet and unassuming business park area, but with a lot of donut marks near the spot, presumably from fans.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (07-02-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 12:38 PM

Received 4,240 Likes on 3,301 Posts

Going to run some errands tomorrow taking the S and hopefully I may actually get to drive it top down. Have cars n coffee Saturday morning so will give the S a good cleaning when I get back Friday afternoon. My Dad is coming to visit starting next week so am going to pick up some Father’s Day gifts for him and start making room in my house for him.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,934 Likes on 2,643 Posts

DAMMIT PATTY!!! now I want some Chile Rellenos and finding good ones in MA is hard.
Kyras (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 11:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Mid-Ohio Honda Indy 200 ; I'll be part of the driver intro parade lap

The following 5 users liked this post by 9-BAR:
dlq04 (07-01-2023), Hertz Donut (07-02-2023), Lainey (07-01-2023), robb (07-01-2023), sam_spider (07-03-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 11:59 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 9-BAR
Mid-Ohio Honda Indy 200 ; I'll be part of the driver intro parade lap

See you tomorrow Steve!
sam_spider (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 06:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
DAMMIT PATTY!!! now I want some Chile Rellenos and finding good ones in MA is hard.
^I bet it is! The farther I get from southern California the harder it is for me to find good Mexican food. My honey and I found one that was good in June in Loveland, CO. El Cielo. It means sky or heaven.

I spent Thursday and Friday nights at my place in Kennedy Meadows. I loved being there, as usual. The extra snow and rain in the Southern Sierras have really made the trees and plants happy. Yes, I did ask them. There are streams running that I've not seen with any water in years. The South Fork of the Kern River, through Kennedy Meadows, is running high, as is Fish Creek, ten miles up the road in the forest. I was delighted to be at KM although the mice reinvaded my 5th wheel and now my Kubota diesel generator won't run more than 10 seconds. It's always something. I just got the well pump fixed after my last visit. Now I'll be making phone calls and sending keys to the generator locks, the door lock and the cable lock on the road in. I even brought up a new mattress to set up and new bolt cutters to cut the springs in the old mattress. I decided not to set it up with the mouse problem still going on.

At my house in CA I had an electrician out the day I arrived and he replaced three receptacles that were causing problems. They are outside and under covers but they were old and rusted. I have been able to use my spa here. I fly back to Clorado tomorrow (Monday).

^6-30-2023. The General Store in Kennedy Meadows. I drive here (about a mile) to use their free wifi. The password is "outhouse." It's a big accomplishment for the Pacific Crest Trail hikers to arrive here. They get mail and packages sent here and stock up before heading farther north.

^6-30-2023. The General Store in Kennedy Meadows. This young lady was looking for a ride north to Lone Pine, to get back on the Pacific Crest Trail farther north, after some deep snow.

^7-1-2023. This is a gate on the Pacific Crest Trail. My place is in the background.

7-1-2023. My place at 6,000 feet, in Kennedy Meadows, CA. When I was married we bought 30 acres in 1992, and my ex built the ramada, and put in the trailer, a septic tank, a generator shed and a diesel Kubota generator. It already had the well head. When we divorced in 2007, he took two 5-acre parcels, which he ended up selling. I still have 20 acres and all the important items. I changed out the water storage tank when the first one leaked, and had a metal roof put on the ramada in about 2009. We got ^that 5th wheel in around 2003 and sold the old smaller used one we started with which our two kids had bunk beds in.

^6-30-2023. Trailer bathroom with mouse bedroom.

^6-30-2023. Trailer bathroom with mouse bedroom.

^7-1-2023. The Troy Meadows campground sign. Before we bought 30 acres in Kennedy Meadows we would stay here in the summer with our motorhome. We came originaly to ride our off-road motorcycles in the forest here. OHV maps are for off-road vehicles. The campgroung was just opened a few days ago this year. I still love going up there as it's more forest and cooler due to the higher elevation.

^7-1-2023. Fish Creek in the Troy Meadows campground.

^7-1-2023. Wild flowers near my place.

^7-1-2023. Wild roses on the Pacific Crest Trail near my place.

^7-1-2023. Solar path lights at my place leading to the fire pit. I didn't have a fire this trip as it was balmy out.

^6-30-2023. Moon light on my glass. The Pixel 7 Pro takes nice night shots.

^7-1-2023. My favorite plant and flower is just starting to get buds. It's Salvia-pachyphylla, aka rose sage. The leaves are very fragrant. I meant to bring some home but I forgot. I also left a new pair of glasses up there. Luckily, the prescription isn't far off from my old one so the glasses I have will be fine until my next trip.

^7-1-2023. The start of the 4th of July parade on July 1st. It's small but I had fun with the people I was hanging out with.

^7-1-2023. Taking a rest from shoveling weeds on my dirt road. I have to stay on top of it so my car gets through. It's .3 miles from the paved road.

Last edited by Kyras; 07-09-2023 at 10:43 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kyras:
buckeyesue (07-02-2023), fltsfshr (07-03-2023), Lainey (07-02-2023), MsPerky (07-03-2023), robb (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 07:04 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
My brother's wake and funeral are Thursday and Friday. How I wish his wife had opted for a celebration of life, instead of this morbid traditional stuff. There will be a luncheon afterwards that will be a bit more celebratory anyway. Once this is behind us, we will enjoy the weekend as my youngest sister and brother in law from SC will be staying with us. We enjoy their company. There will be some dinners out and a cookout on the 4th at the home of a mutual friend.
Got through the wake and funeral without too much difficulty.
I was most impressed at the number of my brother's former co-worker's who took the time to stop by the wake and had nice things to say about my brother. Dinner at a favorite restaurant with great pizza was enjoyed with my sisters, spouses, one niece and one cousin after the wake.

A nice luncheon afterwards, and have been enjoying spending time with my sister and brother in law who are staying with us and are very good guests.

Tomorrow night we will meet up with my local sister for dinner, and the cookout on the 4th at the home of a mutual friend.
Kyras (07-02-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 05:21 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I'll start prepping baby back ribs tonight. Joining them will be coleslaw, corn on the cob, potato salad & ice cream. Beaches will be a zoo so we'll enjoy the pool and the air conditioning. A couple of the usual fireworks shows are having choreographed mass drone displays instead.
Haven't heard many booms so far this weekend and we seem to have far less fireworks stands. Works for me.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

We are having our last bit of Rendezvous (Memphis) pulled pork tomorrow with beans and slaw. Vito’s son sends it to us. It is very good. Glad we did not fly anywhere this weekend.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?